Strike Fund Question

CourtJester

How much money is in the Strike fund and how do we find that info?

If the IUAW wants us to get rid of our right to strike, they can divide the fund between every member and then I'll revote.

If it is enough for me to pay off all my debts, I'll consider a yes re-vote.

Before anyone says the Strike fund is only in case we go on strike- while that is true, it can be redistributed amongst the members because we have will have no right to strike.

Edited by CourtJester

Now wait a minute! That strike fund is a sacred cow! Come the next Constitutional Convention when we keep electing and sending the same old delegates that are rubber stamps for the IUAW, there will be a proposal to move so much money out of the strike fund and into organizing or another department so they can create more appointed jobs for their sycophants (also known as local presidents and chairmen)! You just leave THEIR strike fund alone!

If the IUAW wants us to get rid of our right to strike, they can divide the fund between every member and then I'll revote.

Before anyone says the Strike fund is only in case we go on strike- while that is true, it can be redistributed amongst the members because we have will have no right to strike.

600 million. The rest of your statement doesn't even make sense. GM/Chrysler/Ford all have the right to strike. Even with the bankruptcy of the other 2 they have the right to strike. Even if the modification would have passed we would be able to strike the company. Also the strike fund isn't just for the big3! You know better than that, jester!

600 million huh??...maybe the IUAW could really help out FoMoCo by sweetening the buy-out deals by another 100 grand...then they could all be happy....Ford will get there entry level employees and the IUAW will get more Union dues...(not in amount but in the number of ppl paying) :hysterical: :happy feet: :hysterical: :happy feet: :hysterical: :happy feet: :hysterical:

I heard something about the UAW loaned some of the money to Ford. Probably just another rumor, hopefully. :reading:

2007 there was supposed to be, 600 million in the strike fund and then the convention delegates voted to take 50 million out to campaign for the uaw to reuit.

600 million. The rest of your statement doesn't even make sense. GM/Chrysler/Ford all have the right to strike. Even with the bankruptcy of the other 2 they have the right to strike. Even if the modification would have passed we would be able to strike the company. Also the strike fund isn't just for the big3! You know better than that, jester!

LOL- I don't know better than that. I don't understand how the strike fund works, it just seems like a solution to distribute it and then I'd vote not to strike- which they want to take away anyway. I thought GM and Chrysler can't strike while they are under whatever government control they have since the bailout?

2007 there was supposed to be, 600 million in the strike fund and then the convention delegates voted to take 50 million out to campaign for the uaw to reuit.

Seriously, can this 600 million dollars be redistributed if we vote not to strike? I'm trying to find a perspective that is viable, because I don't want to have another bullshit contract thrown at me with a 1000 dollar extortation payment to insult my intelligence.

If I take the right to strike from my contract, I want to be compensated for it. REALLY compensated, like through the strike fund which won't be needed if we don't strike.

LOL- I don't know better than that. I don't understand how the strike fund works, it just seems like a solution to distribute it and then I'd vote not to strike- which they want to take away anyway. I thought GM and Chrysler can't strike while they are under whatever government control they have since the bailout?

Seriously, can this 600 million dollars be redistributed if we vote not to strike? I'm trying to find a perspective that is viable, because I don't want to have another bullshit contract thrown at me with a 1000 dollar extortation payment to insult my intelligence.

If I take the right to strike from my contract, I want to be compensated for it. REALLY compensated, like through the strike fund which won't be needed if we don't strike.

The money is just not for the big 3 the UAW represents all types of workers.

You did not want to give up the right to strike in the Octomods but now you want to divvy the strike fund a redistribute it huh ?

How about we leave that money alone or better yet if you do get your wish and sell your right to not strike how about we give it to who deserves it....retiree's I am sure they will all need it in one form or another since GM and Chrysler retirees will have no chance at pension increases, VEBA will kick in soon at Ford and they are sure to lose some form of medical benefits.

I mean if anyone deserves this money back it would people that have actually seen a strike in their time with the company, they allowed us to have what we do currently, seems only right they should get the benefit from it since current rank and file seem to forget what they have given us and are so willing to sell their rights for a few thousand dollars.

Excuse me for coming in so hard on you Jester but come on be real.

Leave the money alone.

Do not use it to organize obviously at the moment IUAW is only capable in organizing entry level waged workers.

If it is used for anything other than strikes use it to help VEBA shortfalls or use it to fight unfair trade policies.

The UAW sat silent during the Clinton administration while universal health care was being talked about , and as of today they are doing the same on our trade policies.

They have settled for organizing labor that makes half the wages and benefits we currently do, these are on par with outsourced or transplant workers that do not have the standards we do in the U.S.

If the IUAW continues on the path they are on ignoring all the signs you can bet we will all be making transplant wages, strike clause or no strike clause, its just a matter of time with the current unfair trade policies.

The money is just not for the big 3 the UAW represents all types of workers.

You did not want to give up the right to strike in the Octomods but now you want to divvy the strike fund a redistribute it huh ?

How about we leave that money alone or better yet if you do get your wish and sell your right to not strike how about we give it to who deserves it....retiree's I am sure they will all need it in one form or another since GM and Chrysler retirees will have no chance at pension increases, VEBA will kick in soon at Ford and they are sure to lose some form of medical benefits.

I mean if anyone deserves this money back it would people that have actually seen a strike in their time with the company, they allowed us to have what we do currently, seems only right they should get the benefit from it since current rank and file seem to forget what they have given us and are so willing to sell their rights for a few thousand dollars.

Excuse me for coming in so hard on you Jester but come on be real.

Leave the money alone.

Do not use it to organize obviously at the moment IUAW is only capable in organizing entry level waged workers.

If it is used for anything other than strikes use it to help VEBA shortfalls or use it to fight unfair trade policies.

The UAW sat silent during the Clinton administration while universal health care was being talked about , and as of today they are doing the same on our trade policies.

They have settled for organizing labor that makes half the wages and benefits we currently do, these are on par with outsourced or transplant workers that do not have the standards we do in the U.S.

If the IUAW continues on the path they are on ignoring all the signs you can bet we will all be making transplant wages, strike clause or no strike clause, its just a matter of time with the current unfair trade policies.

You do make good points. I don't know crap about these funds and I'm one who will admit I stood by for years and bitched and moaned and did nothing. No longer. When we voted NO, we all stood together and no longer complained- we acted.

I'm just trying to roll ideas in my head.

What I'd add to your post is that the UAW sat quietly when Clinton gave Red China the Most favored trading rights- I do like Clinton but his policies were flawed more than once.

You do make good points. I don't know crap about these funds and I'm one who will admit I stood by for years and bitched and moaned and did nothing. No longer. When we voted NO, we all stood together and no longer complained- we acted.

I'm just trying to roll ideas in my head.

What I'd add to your post is that the UAW sat quietly when Clinton gave Red China the Most favored trading rights- I do like Clinton but his policies were flawed more than once.

Nothing wrong with brainstorming.

However depleting the funds for us or any other UAW worker is not right in my opinion.

I hope more feel as you do, the sad truth is more than likely come next months membership meetings we will once again see 3/4 empty halls. I mean as big a vote as this was the facts are only 50% roughly turned out to vote.

At some point we all need to realize we are the union, and the more we get involved the more the leaders can actually hear what is important for us a a whole.

Nothing wrong with brainstorming.

However depleting the funds for us or any other UAW worker is not right in my opinion.

I hope more feel as you do, the sad truth is more than likely come next months membership meetings we will once again see 3/4 empty halls. I mean as big a vote as this was the facts are only 50% roughly turned out to vote.

At some point we all need to realize we are the union, and the more we get involved the more the leaders can actually hear what is important for us a a whole.

All the UAW represented companies would love to see the strike fund depleted. If that were gone, you better believe that they would love to have the UAW strike them and the UAW had nothing to give the workers, so the companies would just wait it out or just use permenant replacements. Ask John Deere workers about those permenant replacements!

As for the Union Hall being filled up now at the regular meetings, NAH! Aint gonna happen! Most are too sorry and lazy to give 1-3 hours out of their life to attend. I remember when you couldnt get a seat at a meeting. Not you cant fill 20 of them even if you bribed people to be there!

BTV to SHV