Dodge pulls a fast one

goinbroke2

Well I just got back from public works, dropping off the purchase order for the new cop cars we're getting. (chargers) I argued about the cost of new silent partners/puke seats/lightbars etc that won't swap over from our CV but nope $8,000 is too much to over come I guess.

While at public works I was talking to the lady about how bad the chargers will be and that other places regret letting the CV go. She said "the RCMP held off for two months now and we just got their order last Friday, they didn't want the charger either but couldn't make a case for spending $8,000 more for another vehicle".

Appearantly Dodge really undercut this year to ensure to get the bids then tried to send out updates to PWGSC. They refused to accept them because there were already bids in. At that point dodge said "ok".

So, in all that I learned, Canada wide since the RCMP are federal, they will be going charger too. :censored::banghead::censored:

A buddy of mine is (I forget what the official term is, but he is the head of the detachment he is posted out in rural BC). I talked with him a while back, and he said from what he was told, the RCMP wanted to stay with the CV, but since it was done, and the apparent replacement was a FWD V6, they were leaning towards the Charger. Plus with the Charger being Canadian built, and Ford yanking production out of Canada, it would make the switch even easier.

A buddy of mine is (I forget what the official term is, but he is the head of the detachment he is posted out in rural BC). I talked with him a while back, and he said from what he was told, the RCMP wanted to stay with the CV, but since it was done, and the apparent replacement was a FWD V6, they were leaning towards the Charger. Plus with the Charger being Canadian built, and Ford yanking production out of Canada, it would make the switch even easier.

Impala is made in Canada too

I'm surprised how cheap the Charger is being sold for (or is it how much Ford sells CVs for?). Dodge must really want to buy into that market. Just as in your scenario, they probably hope to get in strong and then in the future, departments will just keep buying them so they can transfer the needed equipment. It just doesn't seem like a particularly profitable niche though.

What were the bids for each?

I'm surprised how cheap the Charger is being sold for (or is it how much Ford sells CVs for?). Dodge must really want to buy into that market. Just as in your scenario, they probably hope to get in strong and then in the future, departments will just keep buying them so they can transfer the needed equipment. It just doesn't seem like a particularly profitable niche though.

What were the bids for each?

You know, I just thought of something....

The Charger is due to be redesigned soon anyway. Although I don't know the degree to which the interior will be changed, it may shoot a hole in the "transfer the needed equipment" theory if the two models differ too much....

I hate writing a big long answer and then..poof it's gone! %$^&%&**^!!!!

ok, to start again but a little shorter..The chargers were $20,000 and the CV's were $28,000. By law, if anyone federal wants to buy something with public money they must submit bids through PWGSC. The bottom line is always "best value" or "best buy". So if I order some thing for less than $1,000 no problem. If I want something up to $2500 I need two competing bids. If it's over $5,000 I must submit three bids and then forward it all down to PWGSC who will go over it/correct it (the statement of work etc) then pick a winner. Basically the built in canada and cops want this or that doesn't mean squat to the 55 year old lady who's processing the purchase order. Once this one is done she might be doing a PO for 5000 blue pens or whatever.

Bottom line? $20,000 is cheaper than $28,000. period.

I don't see an $8K difference in "like-optioned" CVPI's and Chargers. Were they Hemi's or 6 cylinders?

I recently bid against Chargers and came up $1,450 higher, then factor an additional $1,560 for a 100K mile powertrain warranty that Dodge gives you. That's about $4K, But $8K???????

We've been seeing Dodge concessions up to $9K, and Ford's are less than half of that. I can't figure it out, other than they are giving them away...But for what??? I don't see Fiat continue making that platform very long...I don't see it being around much longer. I'm starting to see the negative side of the Dodge coming to haunt departments that bought them a couple of years ago. Several are avoiding them now. Now I have to worry about how stupid GM will be by bringing the Caprice to market...If it does, that will make an AWD Eco Boost look like a bad idea.

I could see Fiat killing this platform too, now that the Chargers/300 have built a sturdy reputation for horrible quality, they could become very hard to sell. What might make them even more difficult to sell is when Fiat takes over completely and tries to sell them without huge subsidies from the US taxpayer bringing down the price farther than the competition can or sanely will.

I think the official "prediction" by most of the industry was the Charger and the 300 might have a five year life after the takeover. Cars aren't profitable (especially for them) - Trucks and SUV's are. My guess is as time goes on, the trucks/Jeep will get to stay and the cars will be replaced by smaller Fiat designed cars.

First off, the chargers were v8's.

So, I saw the GMVOG on the desk so I flipped through it. Some stuff caught my eye.

Sorry I never used caps when typing the model numbers..

Transit connect s9b510a $23,340.00 (fwd 5 pass)

Econoline e1e 740 a $23,053.00 (cargo)

Transit connect s7d 210a $22,440.00 (dual wheel)

Chev express cg23405 1sa $27,504.00

Check out what's available under the police package!

Police package RCMP USAGE ONLY

tahoe cc10706 1sp $34,669.00

Expedition u1g910a $37,650

Expedition max k1g 930a $40,015.00

Focus se 2dr p3c-200a

Cobalt 2dr 1al37

Altima 2dr t2rg10/ae00

Could one of the dealers on here tell us what a 2010 focus 2dr model number P3C-200A means?

Is this a regular focus or is something changed for police work?

edit-GMVOG is government motor vehicle order guide

Edited by goinbroke2

The P3C is a Focus coupe, and the 200A is the base Rapid Spec option code. The only vehicles from Ford with anything "changed" for Police use are the CVPI, Explorer, and Expeditions. Of course the CVPI (P7B) is considered a pursuit vehicle, and the SUV's are Special Service Vehicles (SSV's) with only minimal changes from regular models. Usually things like alternator or battery upgrades, noise suppression (Explorer), vinyl floors and column shift (Expedition).

I think the official "prediction" by most of the industry was the Charger and the 300 might have a five year life after the takeover. Cars aren't profitable (especially for them) - Trucks and SUV's are. My guess is as time goes on, the trucks/Jeep will get to stay and the cars will be replaced by smaller Fiat designed cars.

if they didnt put so much cash on the hood, they might actually make some money on them.

City of Grand Island Nebraska is planning on buying Ford Crown Vics rather than Dodges and the rumor is Omaha is going back to Fords as well. Dodges are about $1000.00 less but they dont hold up as well and the investment of new equipment isn't worth the time and trouble, so Ford is gaining ground, or at least getting some back.