Some more info on the "Bobcat" V8

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/01/10/fords...based-on-new-5/

For Bobcat use, the longer-stroke 5.4 was used in combination with a smaller bore giving thicker cylinder walls needed to withstand the high internal pressures of the boosted 750 pound-foot engine. According to Harrison, the Bobcat was part of a Department of Energy-funded research project and there are no current plans for a production engine based on the technology. Harrison tells us that the extra cost of the dual injection systems and more robust block and heads negates much of the savings from not needing a diesel after-treatment system.

That's too bad it's based on the old engine. In my mind, that engine would make more sense for use in the SD trucks. Especially with the new 6.7 having so much torque. If this engine could have been produced cheaper than diesel, it would fit great here.

I guess to me, that just makes the 4.4 diesel all that more possible...

That's too bad it's based on the old engine. In my mind, that engine would make more sense for use in the SD trucks.

The technology can be applied to any gasoline internal combustion engine. It is actually based on technology taht was developed during the 1920s for piston airplane engines.

If this engine could have been produced cheaper than diesel ...

How could it be cheaper than a diesel ? It has all of the costs of both PFI and DI plus, if you read the report, use of CGI is recommended so that the block can withstand higher pressures.

How could it be cheaper than a diesel ? It has all of the costs of both PFI and DI plus, if you read the report, use of CGI is recommended so that the block can withstand higher pressures.

I should have also stated, "with regards to emissions as well". Meaning the feds are going to be cracking down even more on diesel emissions, than they are now. Maybe not today. But in "5 years or so", would be my guess. If the bunny huggers have their way, that is. Then gas starts to make more sense again with this application.

Old news !

I have always said this is "interesting" technology, but too expensive to be practical. Well, maybe if gasoline is over $5/gallon if might make more sense.

You did.

Your assumption that the bottom end had to be as strong as a diesel was spot on

which then highlights the cost of gas/E85 injection Vs diesel injection + exhaust after treatment.

I'm wondering whether smaller engines like 1.6/2.0 Bobcat could be replacements for Euro diesels

if manufacturers there discover meeting Euro 6 diesel emissions becomes way too expensive......

Either way, you want to have a good reason to use Bobcat but a 2.0 putting out 300 lb ft would be cool.....