GM to invest $1Billion to Redesign Pickups

PREMiERdrum

Chairman and CEO Ed Whitacre has given a McMahon-sized YES to redesigning the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup trucks. The effort is likely to ring up a $1 billion price tag... This proactive funding of a redesign will put GM's new wares in showrooms for 2012-2013.

LINK - Autoblog

Won't there be another new F150 out around that same timeframe?

Wow ... your the first person i've heard that likes the current styling.. I think the GMC is ok but the silverado with its big square fenders, wheelwells and the 3' tall chrome bumper are horrible....

I agree... the Silverado in particular has proportions that are all over the place. I also wasn't a fan of the last generation "angry face" trucks.... it's been since the late '90's since there was a decent looking Chevy pickup. And don't get me started on the Colorado.

Wow ... your the first person i've heard that likes the current styling.. I think the GMC is ok but the silverado with its big square fenders, wheelwells and the 3' tall chrome bumper are horrible....

Well I didn't say they were GREAT looking, just better than anything GM has produced since the 80's. Much prefer the stacked headlamps than the cat eyes. I do dislike some of the treatment given to the Silvy, and think the Sierra style is a little better executed, but that has been true for many many years. If you look at the GMC headlamp, hood and grille shapes & proportions, they're very similar to the 03-07 F250/350. And yes, that tall chrome bumper is a turnoff, as is the extremely low front air dam on the 1500's (think my wifes car has better ground clearance in front). My neighbor across the street has an 07 or 08 2500 Silvy Crew (Duramaz/Allison) and the neighbor at the end of the street has an 07 or 08 Silvy 1500 Scab Z71. I get plenty of looks at them, and still do not think they look nearly as good, inside or out, as the F-Series.

Edited by V8-X

Well I guess the current trucks are now 3yrs old, so it's about time to redesign. I actually think this current Silverado/Sierra is the best looking exterior style since the 80's for GM trucks. Too bad the interior is still plastic junk.

I agree - the last one I liked was before the redesign in 88? 89? - somewhere around there.

I agree - the last one I liked was before the redesign in 88? 89? - somewhere around there.

Yup, this was the last I thought really looked good. Anyone remember the "Fall Guy"? Never owned one, but I heard they were prone to rusting.

85gmc39705-1.jpg

Edited by V8-X

Yup, this was the last I thought really looked good. Anyone remember the "Fall Guy"? Never owned one, but I heard they were prone to rusting.

85gmc39705-1.jpg

That's the model.

Don't know if they were prone to rusting or if it was where we lived........

My cousin had one back in the 80's. He worked at Dow Chemical in Freeport, TX - about 10 miles away. He would always drive that truck only - never his wife's car. The bodies would rust out and he would swap the motor (350) and transmission over to a new donor. Probably did this three or four times. I always thought it was from working at the plant - lots of fun stuff floating in the air back then. Maybe it was just the truck.

Oh I love this subject. Never been a P/U person, but I still can admire a good looking ride. The current Chevy, with it's stupid grille and giant gold bow tie is a bore. GMC is good lloing, as is the Ram and the F-150. Too bad Toyotas look like a cartoon monster with their ugly front end. While we're at it, the Nissan also looks toy-like and not very tough in appearance. I feel (what do I know) that American pick up trucks exude muscle. The new Chevy does not as it blah. After saying all that, I'd like a black and orange H-D F-150 just to tool around in, but I really wouldn't need it.

Is $1b a lot for a refresh? I though I remember someone saying that the last Focus refresh (08?) cost $1b.

I'll put myself in the GM p/u dislikers catagory. I just have never 'got' them. They look ackward and, in general, kind of chintzy looking to me. I'll give them the nod over the Tundra though.

I remember the Fall Guy.

heather-thom.jpg

FWIW, I rather like the current GMC Sierra styling. The Chevy doesn't look near as good. Unfortunately, while I really like the new F-150, the Super Duty has gone from bad to worse. The 2011 is horrible. Not surprised the stylist is now working for Maytag. Or is it Whirlpool? At least the current Tundra is still the worst looking pickup I have ever seen.

'bout time they re-do their trucks. I'd toss in another mil or two just to make sure things go right. In my opinion Chevy stopped building trucks in 2003 when they came out with the angry design. They also re-engineered the transmission and left the motors unattended. I still miss my old Silverado, it was so advanced engineering wise for its time. My next truck will be a FORD for sure.

Edited by FoMoCobra