NYT Tests SHO--Loves the car, but p****es on it anyway

NYTimes has a short article testing SHO. Guy loves the car, the engine, everything. . . literally says nothing bad about it throughout the article. But then ends with this:

But if the highly anticipated EcoBoost engine is just a more efficient way to propel a big bodacious American car down the highway faster, do we really want to go down that road again?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/automobiles/autoreviews/17taurus.html?hpw

NYTimes has a short article testing SHO. Guy loves the car, the engine, everything. . . literally says nothing bad about it throughout the article. But then ends with this:

But if the highly anticipated EcoBoost engine is just a more efficient way to propel a big bodacious American car down the highway faster, do we really want to go down that road again?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/automobiles/autoreviews/17taurus.html?hpw

Yes Mr. Garrett, many of us do. For those who don't a Taurus SEL or Limited would be in order.

The verdict of The New York Times has less to do with its political leanings than its misunderstanding of this car's place in the market.

The Taurus won't be the mainstay of the Ford passenger car line - that job will fall on the Focus and the Fusion. But there are still some people who want a bigger car. Why not capture those sales, too?

It's not as though this car signals a return to the days when Ford relied on big cars for most of its sales, with smaller vehicles treated as a distraction (at best).

But if the highly anticipated EcoBoost engine is just a more efficient way to propel a big bodacious American car down the highway faster, do we really want to go down that road again? JERRY GARRETT

Maybe Mr. Garrett should have asked Ford about the sales mix and why so many SHOs are being sold.....

The verdict of The New York Times has less to do with its political leanings than its misunderstanding of this car's place in the market.

The Taurus won't be the mainstay of the Ford passenger car line - that job will fall on the Focus and the Fusion. But there are still some people who want a bigger car. Why not capture those sales, too?

It's not as though this car signals a return to the days when Ford relied on big cars for most of its sales, with smaller vehicles treated as a distraction (at best).

I have to agree with this assessment however, the leanings have to do with it as well at editing time. There is still confusion regadring the Taurus and it's place in the world. We have all disscussed this with each other and whoever will lisen until we are blue the face (pun intended). Education is the key to the ignorant and it requires patience.

At the end of the day, if there are serious customers in any automobile, I sincerely hope they don't use a newspaper of any leaning as a reference.

I have to agree with this assessment however, the leanings have to do with it as well at editing time. There is still confusion regadring the Taurus and it's place in the world. We have all disscussed this with each other and whoever will lisen until we are blue the face (pun intended). Education is the key to the ignorant and it requires patience.

At the end of the day, if there are serious customers in any automobile, I sincerely hope they don't use a newspaper of any leaning as a reference.

I agree with grbeck and Hugh. The Taurus' place isn't the same as it was in the '80s-'90s when it was the bread and butter family car. The Fusion is going to be the volume car now. That said, the Taurus is a fantastic value for those who want something larger and the SHO is for the enthusiast, as it was originally. I can't imagine anyone who is in the market for an SHO and who is willing to pay the premium price, will be influenced by the Times political leanings or not. They are far more likely to be influenced by the performance stats, the buff books and a test drive.

I have seen a huge increase in the number of 2010 Taurus and SHOs in my area in the last month. It used to be that seeing one was noteworthy and now they are becoming a common sight. The same seems to be happening with the Flex and 2010 Fusion. One of my neighbors has a 2010 Milan Premier.