CarFax?

unless your running the car in the ground then yes! ...if a car has any history of an accident and it shows up on carfax it automatically lowers the value of the car, sometimes significantly. My friend bought a certified 09 Jetta back in march with only 7,000 miles....they were asking $21,000, I made her get a carfax that the dealer was not willing to provide and sure enough the car was in a minor accident in an outside state 3 months earlier. She ended up getting the car for $18 and change because she showed up with the carfax report.

Absolutely not!

CBC Television's Marketplace did an expose on them about 8 months ago and they were almost totally inaccurate,

When confronted they did nothing but make excuses, If you want to, spend your money on a good mechanic's appriasal instead.

I disagree they may not be 100% accurate but I'd rather have made the choice to spend $40 to get them on used cars I was looking at to buy vs. not doing it and finding something out later. Get all the info you can, even if it isn't complete knowing 70% is better than knowing nothing.

Absolutely not!

CBC Television's Marketplace did an expose on them about 8 months ago and they were almost totally inaccurate,

When confronted they did nothing but make excuses, If you want to, spend your money on a good mechanic's appriasal instead.

What kind of inaccuracies? I would expect them to omit a lot of flaws, but not to show non-existant flaws. Thus, I would consider it a first-layer screen. (Those evaluations don't come free...)

Tiger Woods backs out of his driveway...smashes into his other car...takes both vehicles to the body shop. He doesn't want his insurance to go up or fears he may be dropped. He swings a cash deal with the local body shop. Carfax is none the wiser. Carfax fails.

Best way is to ask the seller to take the car to tour mechanic and have them put the vehicle on the lift and give it the once over.

Edited by atomaro

Tiger Woods backs out of his driveway...smashes into his other car...takes both vehicles to the body shop. He doesn't want his insurance to go up or fears he may be dropped. He swings a cash deal with the local body shop. Carfax is none the wiser. Carfax fails.

Best way is to ask the seller to take the car to tour mechanic and have them put the vehicle on the lift and give it the once over.

I doubt Tiger Woods cares what his insurance rates are... but I agree in principle.

I have only had two experiences with Carfax. Both times I inputted a valid VIN, and both times I received a message (please recheck, the VIN you entered is invalid ). Double checked, no typos, same number as on vehicle and title.

Strange... when I was buying my (used) car, I was checking dozens of VINs, and they all came up.