light comm'l, medium and heavy news

Another show on either the History or Discovery channel is "Sliced." It's totally dumb. A promo ad for an upcoming episode showed them splitting apart the pump/compartment body of a white fire truck. So I'm watching the episode and I see a beautiful white C-series Ford fire truck! First they slice open an air horn, then an electronic siren showing the insides and the diaphragms etc. and explaining how they work. Couldn't they just go to the mfrs. and show this? But then guess what! They rigged up a 12 ft. high looped cable saw with diamond blades. They then dragged the fire truck through starting at the rear! They went right down the middle of the truck slicing it in two! Actual time was about 5 hrs.! Fortuntately they only went as far as the body and did not cut into the engine compartment or cab! All this to show the baffles in the tank and how it keeps the water from sloshing around so the truck wont tip over! This after they had done a test drive complimenting its handling. Then they showed the impeller in the centrifugal pump. Is this dumb or what!? Bob, I think you would have cringed!

Another show on either the History or Discovery channel is "Sliced." It's totally dumb. A promo ad for an upcoming episode showed them splitting apart the pump/compartment body of a white fire truck. So I'm watching the episode and I see a beautiful white C-series Ford fire truck! First they slice open an air horn, then an electronic siren showing the insides and the diaphragms etc. and explaining how they work. Couldn't they just go to the mfrs. and show this? But then guess what! They rigged up a 12 ft. high looped cable saw with diamond blades. They then dragged the fire truck through starting at the rear! They went right down the middle of the truck slicing it in two! Actual time was about 5 hrs.! Fortuntately they only went as far as the body and did not cut into the engine compartment or cab! All this to show the baffles in the tank and how it keeps the water from sloshing around so the truck wont tip over! This after they had done a test drive complimenting its handling. Then they showed the impeller in the centrifugal pump. Is this dumb or what!? Bob, I think you would have cringed!

Well Joe I guess another way you could look at it is to consider the truck is probably 30 years old! And it went ot as a "movie star"!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what do you know:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/05/gm-studying-reentry-into-mediumduty-segment.html

I figure if GM moved production to Mexico and reintroduced the class 6 through 8 Topkick and Kodiak, then came up with a new class 4 and 5 based on the Silverado/Sierra (a la Ford 450 and 550), they could be a contender. But that's just me thinking out loud.....

Could we be heading back to the late 50s/early 60s when the light mediums were pickup cabs plopped on a medium frame? It could work today. The cabs are large enough, and the interiors could be toughened to put up with the rigors of delivery service. For a light medium a GVW of 22K to 25K would do, so with the proper gearing both the 6.7 diesel and 6.2 gas are up to the task. Designing a frame with the required modulus anf mounting points is not all that difficult, and axles, brakes, and so on are readily available.

Even the heavy mediums could be a variant of this theme. Use an extended cab as the base, but just use filler panels instead of the rear hinged doors, and raise the cab roof, and fit different front fenders to suit the wider front track and larger tires. Just some hare brained thoughts.

Could we be heading back to the late 50s/early 60s when the light mediums were pickup cabs plopped on a medium frame? It could work today. The cabs are large enough, and the interiors could be toughened to put up with the rigors of delivery service. For a light medium a GVW of 22K to 25K would do, so with the proper gearing both the 6.7 diesel and 6.2 gas are up to the task. Designing a frame with the required modulus anf mounting points is not all that difficult, and axles, brakes, and so on are readily available.

Even the heavy mediums could be a variant of this theme. Use an extended cab as the base, but just use filler panels instead of the rear hinged doors, and raise the cab roof, and fit different front fenders to suit the wider front track and larger tires. Just some hare brained thoughts.

Ifeg-sounds like you described the current 650/750. Only thing they would have to do would be to raise the roof panel-like they did with the 800-950 Super Duty in 1966! And real world, if the curent SD cab works say in a 250/350/450/550 from a comfort point of view, other than a "mindset" issue, perhaps the higher roof line would let them use additional suspension seat options.- Personally, I like a high seating position as I think it aids visibility- but look how many of todays "truck drivers" ride with the air seat on the floor- I guess its the "cool look"?? I laugh everytime I see some pinhead peaking above the steering wheel--

It is funny, but I think Ford proved a pickup/light truck cab is clearly best for class 4 and 5, and GM (and the other medium builders) proved that a larger cab is preferable for class 6 and larger. I think (as do others here) that the new International Terrastar will not be a success, as it makes the same mistake GM did with their Topkick and Kodiak 4500 and 5500.

I'm watching Modern Marvels on the History channel. This segment is an hour just about truck stops! They discuss everything: security cameras for terrorism deterring, weight scales, washing booth, diagnostic center, showers, retail store, restaurants, parking, underground fuel tanks....how they work, how they're made....you name it! The diagnostic machines can plug into the truck and operate the wipers, heater etc. and determine if they're operating properly. You can order the DVDs for all the topics on their website. I was watching Mythbusters and they were exploring all the ways to survive driving into a lake and escaping. The car they used to sink into a high school pool (after the drivetrain was removed) was a first generation Taurus. What they used to lower it into the pool was a crane mounted on a new F750!

Some more interesting fact:s: The Iowa 80 truck stop is 4 times the size of the average truckstop. The Carl's World truckstop -- I forgot the location -- sells biodiesel which is formulated and stored right on the premises. Willie Nelson lent his name to it after his wife wanted to buy a VW that ran on biodiesel. It's called BioWillie. For a brief moment you can see Willie pouring the nozzle into a vehicle that says Ford biodiesel. One woman in the show had a tractor that looked 60 feet or longer. Sleeper cab had a sink, toilet, big flat screen TV, cabinets and a fireplace!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest figures have me dumbfounded. For class 3 thru 7 from Jan to March 2010, Dodge has 16,500 units, Ford 14,300! Are you kidding me? Where are these Dodge trucks? I don't see 'em on the road! Modern Marvels had a big and small segment dicussing everything from cars, to boats to planes. Example: powered model planes to an A380! A Cat 994F front loader was compared to an F250; the F250 was as long as the 994's wheel diameter! They ship the 994 by rail/ truck to the work site and it's assembled there. An F750 with a tool body was on-site! I wish Ford had used EGR and not SCR with the new diesel. That urea crap is a pain in the rump! I think International got it right.

Latest figures have me dumbfounded. For class 3 thru 7 from Jan to March 2010, Dodge has 16,500 units, Ford 14,300! Are you kidding me? Where are these Dodge trucks? I don't see 'em on the road! Modern Marvels had a big and small segment dicussing everything from cars, to boats to planes. Example: powered model planes to an A380! A Cat 994F front loader was compared to an F250; the F250 was as long as the 994's wheel diameter! They ship the 994 by rail/ truck to the work site and it's assembled there. An F750 with a tool body was on-site! I wish Ford had used EGR and not SCR with the new diesel. That urea crap is a pain in the rump! I think International got it right.

I am seeing an awful lot of new Dodge chassis/cabs, and there are a lot of class 3-4-5 users that are still upset over the 6.0L Powerstroke. Still those sales numbers are a surprise. Don't be so quick to condem SCR. SCR is an aftertreatment system, it does not effect performance or fuel economy. EGR is bad news in a diesel. Kills economy, makes the engine run hotter, and you are asking the engine to swallow a lot of abrasive garbage. SCR allows the manufacturer to get by much less EGR. International's 'solution' is to use a lot of EGR to meet the new NOX standards. Internationals engines are not going to match medium duty Cummins in performance or economy, and in a few years Interational may have to adopt SCR anyway. Cummins is sticking with EGR for the Dodge Ram. Compare the output of the 2011 Ram Cummins (EGR) with the 2011 6.7L Powerstroke and 6.6L Duramax (both SCR).

I am seeing an awful lot of new Dodge chassis/cabs, and there are a lot of class 3-4-5 users that are still upset over the 6.0L Powerstroke. Still those sales numbers are a surprise. Don't be so quick to condem SCR. SCR is an aftertreatment system, it does not effect performance or fuel economy. EGR is bad news in a diesel. Kills economy, makes the engine run hotter, and you are asking the engine to swallow a lot of abrasive garbage. SCR allows the manufacturer to get by much less EGR. International's 'solution' is to use a lot of EGR to meet the new NOX standards. Internationals engines are not going to match medium duty Cummins in performance or economy, and in a few years Interational may have to adopt SCR anyway. Cummins is sticking with EGR for the Dodge Ram. Compare the output of the 2011 Ram Cummins (EGR) with the 2011 6.7L Powerstroke and 6.6L Duramax (both SCR).

I have to believe the big Dodge numbers will start to diminish once the 6.7 starts showing up on dealer lots. 7M3- is the 6.0 issue still out there? I'm sure there are some guys who have bad memories but let's face it- the problem was ultimately corrected-plus with all the positive hype on the new engine/trans, like they say, time heals all wounds- we shall see.

Again as for International, I want to think they know something the other guys don't but I'm afraid someone took a position, they got out on a limb with their minority EGR view and the next year or two should tell the story. Between their own engines, the Cat big block issue and EGR vs SCR,could be an interesting time for International.

I have to believe the big Dodge numbers will start to diminish once the 6.7 starts showing up on dealer lots. 7M3- is the 6.0 issue still out there? I'm sure there are some guys who have bad memories but let's face it- the problem was ultimately corrected-plus with all the positive hype on the new engine/trans, like they say, time heals all wounds- we shall see.

Again as for International, I want to think they know something the other guys don't but I'm afraid someone took a position, they got out on a limb with their minority EGR view and the next year or two should tell the story. Between their own engines, the Cat big block issue and EGR vs SCR,could be an interesting time for International.

We have a 2005 6.0L F-550, and I am reminded of the 6.0L's issues every time it winds up in the shop. Which is often! I agree 100% with your theory about International's use of EGR. I think International thought that not having to use 'exhaust fluid' in their diesels would offset the poorer fuel economy and potential EGR issues in the minds of medium and heavy truck buyers, but it looks like the other manufacturers didn't see it that way. Ultimately the buyer will make the decision.

• 1 month later...

Either Ford has pulled away or Hino has faltered because latest figures are encouraging: As of May: Class 7 YTD Ford, 833; Hino 473. Class 6 YTD Ford , 1934; Hino 1045.

Encouraging? I remember when Ford sold @30,000 mediums a year. This year, they are on track to sell what, 5,500 units?

Yes I know 7Mary3. But everything is relative! Daimler and International own class 7 & 8 NOW. Ford used to be right up there in class 8 too! The reason why Ford languishes in class 6 & 7 is because when they got rid of class 8, it meant no Ford L-series. L-series contributed to class 6 & 7 along with F-series. Now all we have is F-series so now the only battle left for Ford is trying to be the number 3 player in class 6. PACCAR is number 3 in class 7, Ford is number 4 in class 7. And the closest competitor number-wise in class 6 is Hino! There is no more GM. Isuzu, Fuso, UD are all just wasting their time! One more thing: When customers had to go elsewhere for class 8, they no longer were stuck in tunnel vision which had kept customers buying all Fords in all categories! When they got out of the Ford groove, Ford lost sales in other segments! I would bet that since Ford sold heavy line to Daimler in 1997, in addition to the lost class 8 sales, Ford has lost at least 2 million units of cars, vans, light pickups, and mediums. This is especially true with regard to municipal (and don't forget school bus chassis) and state agencies. That's 200K units per year!