Problem with A/C climate control vs remote startup

fbtwtf

I have a 2009 Fusion SEL AWD and when the temperature outside is below 14°F the climate control is OFF when the car is started but above 14°F no problem the climate controle is where I've left it the last time. Does anybody else have this problem? Is there a fix for this? :unsure:

Thanks!

I have a 2009 Fusion SEL AWD and when the temperature outside is below 14°F the climate control is OFF when the car is started but above 14°F no problem the climate controle is where I've left it the last time. Does anybody else have this problem? Is there a fix for this? :unsure:

Thanks!

Hi fbt. :D Not a common problem, but it does happen. If you have the Ford factory remote start and it was ordered and/or installed by Ford/the Dealer, then take it back to your Ford Dealer for service under Warranty.

If you have a third party remote start, or the system you have is not the factory system or was not installed by your Ford Dealer, then it is not Warranty covered and you will need to have the installer correct the problem.

Keep us updated.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi fbt. :D Not a common problem, but it does happen. If you have the Ford factory remote start and it was ordered and/or installed by Ford/the Dealer, then take it back to your Ford Dealer for service under Warranty.

If you have a third party remote start, or the system you have is not the factory system or was not installed by your Ford Dealer, then it is not Warranty covered and you will need to have the installer correct the problem.

Keep us updated.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Thanks for your advise bbf, since it was factory installed I'll have it verified with my next service in early april. Even if I go right now the night temprature is no longer going as low as it should to reproduce the problem.

I don't know if this could be logical but the thing that I've notice is that if it's to cold to start up the computer decide to turn off all equipement that take to much energy from the battery to be able to start the engine but the computer doesn't turn back on what it has turn off.

Thanks!

There is a TSB to replace the EATC module for this concern. TSB number 09-20-01.

"Some 2006-2009 Fusion and Milan vehicles equipped with Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) and built before 12/16/2008 may exhibit the following after extended cold soak (usually overnight) in extreme cold temperatures below 10 °F (-12.2 °C) a condition where the EATC module remains in the off position after the vehicle has been started and/or not returning to it's prior climate control setting or the EATC module screen may be blank.

If this occurs, the module can be manually turned on and will operate normally. Once the climate control head is activated, all climate control functionality will operate properly. An improved EATC module has been released to correct this condition."

Just have the dealer replace it for you.

"

There is a TSB to replace the EATC module for this concern. TSB number 09-20-01.

"Some 2006-2009 Fusion and Milan vehicles equipped with Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) and built before 12/16/2008 may exhibit the following after extended cold soak (usually overnight) in extreme cold temperatures below 10 °F (-12.2 °C) a condition where the EATC module remains in the off position after the vehicle has been started and/or not returning to it's prior climate control setting or the EATC module screen may be blank.

If this occurs, the module can be manually turned on and will operate normally. Once the climate control head is activated, all climate control functionality will operate properly. An improved EATC module has been released to correct this condition."

Just have the dealer replace it for you.

"

Thank you very much for the information on the TSB number this will be very helpful. :D

Not to hijack the thread but I have a somewhat related issue. It is not a major issue - just a pet peeve because my car tends to get really hot inside in the summer.

When I turn the fan speed to full thrust (a/c or defroster) it cuts out and becomes intermittent. If I manually turn it down a notch or two, it works completely fine. This only occurs at first use - if the a/c or defroster has been running it will work normally.

I do have remote start (installed as a DIO at purchase) but I almost always turn everything off at shutdown so I do not believe it is tied to the remote starter.

Any ideas?

Eric

Not to hijack the thread but I have a somewhat related issue. It is not a major issue - just a pet peeve because my car tends to get really hot inside in the summer.

When I turn the fan speed to full thrust (a/c or defroster) it cuts out and becomes intermittent. If I manually turn it down a notch or two, it works completely fine. This only occurs at first use - if the a/c or defroster has been running it will work normally.

I do have remote start (installed as a DIO at purchase) but I almost always turn everything off at shutdown so I do not believe it is tied to the remote starter.

Any ideas?

Eric

Im not exactly understading your concern. So when you get in the car after its been parked. You press Auto and nothing happens for a while? Then when you manualy adjust the fan speed it starts working?

Auto does have a few second fan delay when first turned on. I believe the theory behind that is to let the evaporator cool before the fan starts and hits you with a blast of air.

If thats not what is happening, I have seen a few Fusions with blower speed controllers go bad causing uncontrollable fan speeds at times. Also a few blower motors crap out. But not many. There was a TSB for those things at one time.

Im not exactly understading your concern. So when you get in the car after its been parked. You press Auto and nothing happens for a while? Then when you manualy adjust the fan speed it starts working?

Auto does have a few second fan delay when first turned on. I believe the theory behind that is to let the evaporator cool before the fan starts and hits you with a blast of air.

If thats not what is happening, I have seen a few Fusions with blower speed controllers go bad causing uncontrollable fan speeds at times. Also a few blower motors crap out. But not many. There was a TSB for those things at one time.

I apologize for the confusing post, let me try again.

The fan will cut out when I manually press the fan speed button to top speed. It will work for one or two seconds, then cut out. It does this a few times. If I lower the speed one or two notches, it works fine.

I haven't had to use the fan at full thrust since the summer. I will try it again today and see if I can replicate the problem.

Thanks,

Eric

I apologize for the confusing post, let me try again.

The fan will cut out when I manually press the fan speed button to top speed. It will work for one or two seconds, then cut out. It does this a few times. If I lower the speed one or two notches, it works fine.

I haven't had to use the fan at full thrust since the summer. I will try it again today and see if I can replicate the problem.

Thanks,

Eric

ok I think I understand your concern. Sounds like the blower speed controller. I have seen a few go bad. If the fan doesn't work on high and ok all other speeds, then thats the most likely cause.

ok I think I understand your concern. Sounds like the blower speed controller. I have seen a few go bad. If the fan doesn't work on high and ok all other speeds, then thats the most likely cause.

Thanks for the info. I'm not concerned about it - it is rare that I need to use the fan at full capacity.

Eric

Ok, tried the fan on the way home today - no air conditioner or defroster as I wanted to avoid the compressor kicking on for the test of the fan.

I first used the controls manually. The fan works at all speeds EXCEPT the highest setting (there are eight bars). I tried starting at the low speeds and increase the speed one tick at a time but it still would not work at full speed. It tries to kick on for a split second, cuts out for a few seconds and then tries again to no avail.

I then tried using the auto feature. The system tries putting the fan on full blast and I get the same results - it works for a split second and then cuts out. Raising the temperature resulted in the auto feature lowering the fan speed and the fan worked flawlessly thereafter.

Basically, the fan works on 7 of the 8 fan speeds. For whatever reason, it doesn't work on the highest setting (I don't know that it ever has).

Considering this is the only problem I have experienced over the first 80k, I am fine with it. The heat and a/c work and that's the bottom line.

Thanks,

Eric

You might want to think about looking into getting that fixed with the fan speed... I had a Contour with the same type of issue... no high speed fan. Then the 2nd highest went... then the next and the next until there was no blower at all and a lot of smoke... it turns out it was a known issue with the actual switch going bad. If I'd had it looked at earlier it would have been fixed before the harness connector got cooked.