My comparison: 2010 small SUVs

The whole reason Ford is going to FLEX plants is to be able to adjust production capacity. When LAP and MAP are retooled, if it ever came down to it, you could theoretically build the max production at both plants of any C model vehicle. Fusion could easily be added to two other NA plants, namely AAI and OAC. If the numbers support it, you better believe Ford will do it.

Escape plant only builds the Escape, Mariner, and Tribute. Tribute numbers are nominal and the Mariner is being discontinued.

KCAP builds the F-150 also. And yes, discontinuing Milan at Hermosillo will mean more Fusion production and same with Escape. However, Ford is not going to go back to the old days of producing so much product that ever escalating incentives are needed to move them. Ford is more interested in profit than production. I doubt if Ford will have two plants buiding same vehicle unless it's the F-150 as it has now. Those days are over. At least while Mulally is running things. Ford is dividing up the car segments into so many that it will be hard to ever sell 400,000 vehicles/year again unless it's a pickup. Ditto for CUV's also with Flex, Explorer, Escape, and Edge. Too many competing segments. Add in only 11 million buying new cars now and the intense competition and you don't need two plants building same vehicle unless of course it's an F-150. And to think Ford used to have four plants building it.

I disagree on the comparison of subaru to amc. Subaru puts a decent vehicle on the road. Solid all wheel drive, stands up well over time and miles.

Early versions of the forestor were noisy but more recent ones are much quieter.

In my opinion I wouldn't have the escape in this catagory.

If you can get past blown head gaskets and noisy valves at about 70,000 miles, you may be somewhat correct. If you don't believe me, go on any online Subaru owner site and read the complaints. Subaru has a fine AWD system with above average fuel mileage, but very mediocre engines. Styling is so-so also. The Tribeca is horrible styling, and some of the models are way too boxy. Subaru is a quirky brand for quirky owners. Kind of like AMC used to be with the Pacer and Eagle.

I disagree on the comparison of subaru to amc. Subaru puts a decent vehicle on the road. Solid all wheel drive, stands up well over time and miles.

Early versions of the forestor were noisy but more recent ones are much quieter.

In my opinion I wouldn't have the escape in this catagory.

The Escape doesn't belong in the small ute category? News to me. What category does it belong in? It's small, the I4 with 171 hp gets 28mpg highway and has above average cargo room for its size. You can also order it in FWD or 4WD and I4 or 240hp V6 that will tow up to 3500 pounds. You could also call it a CUV since its on a car chassis and rides more like a car than a truck.

Uh, last I looked Fusion and Focus are both one of the best selling vehicles in their segment. Not everyone can be number one in sales. Ford couldn't sell 350,000 of them if they tried since both including the Escape are built at only ONE plant with defined capacity. And I doubt very much if Ford will ever open a second Fusion or Focus plant let alone a second Escape plant. Now with Focus going to MAP this November, maybe Ford could build 350,000 Focuses if needed on three shifts, but Fusion and Escape plants build other vehicles and Ford is building about as many as they can and selling them easily and in big numbers. Only a few vehicles are selling better than the Fusion or Focus, and Escape is either number one in sales every month or close to it. Customers know value when they see it and will part with their money for it. If not, they won't. Doesn't look like many buyers are paying good money for a Sportage.

Amazing that an automaker with higher production capacity (if you're going to say that's a key limiting factor) and more dealers than Kia also sells a lot more cars, especially in the current generation's final months. And the Corolla was within a few hundred units of outselling the Focus 2:1 last month. It seems that the market has spoken decisively that the Toyota is the better car if only half as many people pay their good money for a Ford.

I'm not trying to suggest, of course, that sales make the Corolla better than the Civic. But saying that sales volume decides whether one car is better than another is simply ludicrous, as that example should show.

If you can get past blown head gaskets and noisy valves at about 70,000 miles, you may be somewhat correct. If you don't believe me, go on any online Subaru owner site and read the complaints. Subaru has a fine AWD system with above average fuel mileage, but very mediocre engines. Styling is so-so also. The Tribeca is horrible styling, and some of the models are way too boxy. Subaru is a quirky brand for quirky owners. Kind of like AMC used to be with the Pacer and Eagle.

While I drive a Ranger my wife has driven Foresters for her last two cars, a 2004 and a 2009 (I only wish on the lesbianism).

My son now has her 2004 and it has 122,000 on it.

Solid cars, no issues to date, knock wood.

The awd kicks butt. No comparison for the money, none. Snow, beach, no issues, the only thing that limits it is the low clearance as it’s not an off road vehicle, just a car with a great awd system.

I'm not defending the appearance of the 04 but the 09 is much better looking.

A 2.5 boxer engine is a 2.5 boxer engine, I don't think anyone targets them looking for high end performance although they do have turbo options.

It would be rare to find a subaru owner complaining, repeat business is big.