Ford Fusion mule pic

range

Insiders say it is the 3.5L. There is no SVT Fusion in development.

that would contradict exactly 2 executives from Ford including Fields from a month ago.

SVT or ST Fusion is in the works...

But ththat doesn;t change the fact that this could be anything:

- D35 being tested for clearances in Fusion

- Chasis changes to the Fusion

etc.

- it is also possible this is unrelated to Fusion - they might be testing a new engine.. and just happed to drop it in a Fusion.. Ford has been weird about mules.. yo ucan;t realyl tll what is going on even though you clearly see a mule of a car running past you..

Igor

I live near DCX headquarters so I constantly see test mules from the company that look like nothing more than production models with some extra test equipment strapped to it. Many of these mules may be testing quality or changes resulting from cost cutting.

Look at the side sills and the clearances in the wheel well. I think there is some more going on here than we think. OK, so, not an SVT. Maybe an ST package for the D35? That would be sweet IMHO. Remember, the D30 does a decent job of not getting blown away in the performance metrics with its 220 hp and 207 lbs of torque. Drop in an engine that weighs about the same, that does 250 hp and 240 lbs of torque. That's a whole nuther story!

that would contradict exactly 2 executives from Ford including Fields from a month ago.

No.

SVT or ST Fusion is in the works...
ST - yes. SVT - no.

So yes, the 3.5L could very well be the ST car. I just did not call it the ST because its not certain yet that the 3.5L and the ST are the same car, although it seems all but given.

But that doesn;t change the fact that this could be anything:

Yes, it could have been. It could also have been the hybrid as well. But instead, insiders have confirmed that its a 3.5L test mule.

I do not want to start any S**t, mkoesel,

but someone on FJ said, that while the D35 Mule looks quite similar to this, this is likely the mule for Lincoln Coupe (the usual - new internals with stock body over it).

The giveaway was position of the wheels - not fitting properly with the body.

He said he was not positive, but it is his guess.

Igor

The rear end may sag because of load testing...or it could be chopped for ST/SVT variants ;)

Remember those Expy mules with the sagging rear? Those were going through long-term load testing.

Oh ya, I remember those. Good point forgot about that.

A Lincoln Coupe...interesting.

but someone on FJ said, that while the D35 Mule looks quite similar to this, this is likely the mule for Lincoln Coupe (the usual - new internals with stock body over it).

The giveaway was position of the wheels - not fitting properly with the body.

He said he was not positive, but it is his guess.

Igor

Why not just use the Mustang shell instead...Lincoln needs to be shot if they do a coupe based on the CD3

Makes you wonder why they put a fusion body on a Mustang chasis. If it is Fustang, then the implications are interesting. Maybe my long lost Lincoln LS replacement is on its way ;). I doubt it, but one can dream!

It's not likely that this is a Mustang chassis under a Fusion body--

Reason 1: Mustang wheelbase is 107", Fusion wheelbase is 107.4", a stretched Mustang platform wouldn't fit under Fusion coachwork.

Reason 2: Mustang tracks (F/R) are almost identical to Fusion track widths, so the alleged discrepancy in track width doesn't tally either.

Probably just a lot of junk in the trunk.

Looks like a lot of weight for sure in that Fusion... Maybe it has a heavy load of batteries in it...

Could it be a Fusion Hybrid test mule?

Hmmmmm. We might have our best guess yet.

However, that would not be the weight from the batteries. It could be load testing on the Gen II hybrid system, though.

Nor do I. Of course, if someone replies to a post I make and claims I contradicted something that I haven't, then I'm gonna get a little short with them. Pretty standard internet conduct.

I'm good if you are.

Well to be fair, user "Fusion" on Autoweek was also guessing as well.