Autoblog Compares, Genesis, 370 and 'Stang V6.

The only paragraph that matters:

Our Nissan tester stickered for a whopping $9,000 more than the Mustang V6. At $34,605, the 370Z is also nearly $4,000 more than the $30,875 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8. This means that our third place Mustang verdict comes with a big old asterisk. We knew the Ford was punching above its weight, but we didn't know exactly how much until we looked at the numbers. At $25,780 then, the 2011 Mustang V6 is something of a hero. Our point is this: if one were to pour $9,000 into a Mustang, not only would that tick nearly every single option box, but you would also get a 'Stang GT stuffed full of Ford's righteous new 5.0-liter Ti-VCT V8 with 412 hp and 392 lb-ft. Gussied up in that garb, and complete with a set of Brembos, we strongly suspect the Mustang GT would wipe the floor with the Genesis Coupe 3.8 and wholly humble the winning Nissan 370Z.

Well essentially how I see is these are the highest performance packages for the Z and Genesis...their top offering. The Mustang is a V6, with a performance package...as in, it's not even TRYING...So pitting the Mustang in this mix it's like having all the other 2 be all out, and here is the closest Mustang you can get to that, BUT if you get the V8, it's slam dunk. So the last paragraph really states it. Its not a bad thing...

I actually like their approach. At first, they focused solely on the performance of the cars with no excuses. Then at the end, they got into practicallity and price, where the Mustang really had an advantage. Basically, the car is nearly as quick as the 370Z and not too far off in handling either, yet it is vastly cheaper and comes with a useable back seat and a decent trunk. Even though AB didn't really want to admit it, I'm sure their opinion would be different if they actually had to go to the dealer and purchase any of these cars.

I look at things this way, with the following modest upgrades:

Chip/Custom tune for premium fuel

X-pipe and better headers

Lower intake restrictions

Change in rear end ratio

Better tires

The mustang V6 would perform sufficiently similarly to the other two vehicles for the comparison to be roughly a wash. Those improvements would be MUCH less than $9000, allowing you to check off some more of the luxury options availble to the mustang as well. All in all, it means that the mustang can be just as good while being more practicle and cheaper at the same time.

I look at things this way, with the following modest upgrades:

Chip/Custom tune for premium fuel

X-pipe and better headers

Lower intake restrictions

Change in rear end ratio

Better tires

The mustang V6 would perform sufficiently similarly to the other two vehicles for the comparison to be roughly a wash. Those improvements would be MUCH less than $9000, allowing you to check off some more of the luxury options availble to the mustang as well. All in all, it means that the mustang can be just as good while being more practicle and cheaper at the same time.

The new V6 already comes from the factory with an X-pipe and duals.