GT Skip Shift

GTStang

The first thing I want to do when I get my 2011 GT is bypass that stupid 1-4 skip shift. Any advice?

WOT - all the time!

Seriously - there will be an aftermarket eliminator available very soon - if it's not out already.

• Like 1

If they aren't out already, there will undoubtedly be a skip shift eliminator kit that will be available for them. They cost under $100 for the Camaro and Challenger, so I assume the Mustang one would be no different. I couldn't find any doing a quick Google search (I got distracted playing Pac-Man for awhile though I'll admit).

• Like 1

WOT - all the time!

Seriously - there will be an aftermarket eliminator available very soon - if it's not out already.

Does anyone know the parameters for the 2011 Mustang GT skip shift (RPM, speed, throttle, engine temperature, etc.)?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the parameters for the 2011 Mustang GT skip shift (RPM, speed, throttle, engine temperature, etc.)?

I have heard through a friend who just took delivery of a 2011 GT that if you go over 3000 RPM then it disables the skip shift function. Probably a throttle position sensor function??????

Edited by scpony

I have heard through a friend who just took delivery of a 2011 GT that if you go over 3000 RPM then it disables the skip shift function. Probably a throttle position sensor function??????

Of course. All skip shifts work like that - they only require the skip shift under light throttle to satisfy the EPA fuel economy test. If it always forced a skip shift then you'd only need a 3 speed transmission - 1, 4, 5.

• 3 months later...

I drove a base GT a couple weeks ago, and then picked up mine yesterday, and I have yet to have

the "skip shift" kick in, and I was not pushing the car hard all of the time. I don't see that it will be a

big issue...

If you get an aftermarket tune, they are now able to remove that "feature"...

If you get an aftermarket tune, they are now able to remove that "feature"...

Ford Racing just announced performance upgrade kits for the 2011 GT that include a ProCal programmer and included in the tune is a skip-shift eliminator for manual trans cars. That pretty much confirms that it cannot be bypassed with a "jumper" wire similar to the GM 6-speeds. Part no. M-9603-MGTB includes a K&N filter and the ProCal tuner. M-FR1-MGTB includes the above plus low restriction mufflers and a hi-po oil filter.

• 4 weeks later...

The first thing I want to do when I get my 2011 GT is bypass that stupid 1-4 skip shift. Any advice?

I rarely use 1st gear. I use a 2nd gear start, especially in traffic and no skip shift at anytime. Nothing new, have been using 2nd gear starts in winter for years, so this was a natural.