Ford kills Mercury

Ford Motor plans to close the doors on its Mercury division after 70 years of existence, by the end of this year due to dismal sales...

i think it's really sad... in this case, Mercury will have the same faith as Pontiac, Hummer, Saturn...

you'll find more details on http://www.auto-power-girl.com/cars-news/2010/05/28/ford/4460/ford_shuts_down_mercury_division.html

We'll all see what happens down the road, if and when Ford makes a decision public. I used to drive Mercury Cougar's back in the days of Lincoln-Mercury being known as the "Sign of the Cat" but the times and markets have changed. I've worked for several Ford dealers for over 24 years now and deal on a daily basis with the pressures of day-to-day operations. Two of our best selling models are the Ford Fusion and Escape and we're constantly fighting for more allocation as we continue to increase sales. Mercury's demise could easily be covered by increased production for the Fusion and Escape and further increase Ford's and its Dealers market share.

We'll all see what happens down the road, if and when Ford makes a decision public. I used to drive Mercury Cougar's back in the days of Lincoln-Mercury being known as the "Sign of the Cat" but the times and markets have changed. I've worked for several Ford dealers for over 24 years now and deal on a daily basis with the pressures of day-to-day operations. Two of our best selling models are the Ford Fusion and Escape and we're constantly fighting for more allocation as we continue to increase sales. Mercury's demise could easily be covered by increased production for the Fusion and Escape and further increase Ford's and its Dealers market share.

I had a 68 Cougar back in, 68. Got it right after I got out of the Army. Liked the looks of it and thought the hidden headlights and sequential tailights were cool. Kids liked them, too. Always wanted me to open and close the headlights. It was dark green with a light lime interior, auto, 302 and the Dan Gurney Special.

• 4 weeks later...

As has been covered in the other "Oh noes Mercury!" threads, the reports of its demise are premature.

Could you elaborate on that or give a link? I read through several of the Mercury discontinuation threads on the site and didn't see anything along the lines you're describing.

My Accord was unfortunately totalled, and I'm trying desperately to buy a Milan, which I kind of fell in love with, but one with the colors and options I want apparently isn't available anywhere, so I'm trying to place a special order, but every dealer (as well as Ford at their dedicated "Mercury Owner call center" at 1-888-333-7813) is giving me a different story as to whether it's possible at this point to special-order 2010s, 2011s, both, or neither. I really don't understand why FoMoCo can't manage to communicate such basic information to their employees, dealers, and customers. Still trying to get a definitive answer from someone (anyone). :shrug:

Could you elaborate on that or give a link? I read through several of the Mercury discontinuation threads on the site and didn't see anything along the lines you're describing.

My Accord was unfortunately totalled, and I'm trying desperately to buy a Milan, which I kind of fell in love with, but one with the colors and options I want apparently isn't available anywhere, so I'm trying to place a special order, but every dealer (as well as Ford at their dedicated "Mercury Owner call center" at 1-888-333-7813) is giving me a different story as to whether it's possible at this point to special-order 2010s, 2011s, both, or neither. I really don't understand why FoMoCo can't manage to communicate such basic information to their employees, dealers, and customers. Still trying to get a definitive answer from someone (anyone). :shrug:

That was posted before the actual announcement.

And you don't have to post the same message 27 times.

That was posted before the actual announcement.

Ah. Got it. Thanks.

And you don't have to post the same message 27 times.

Sorry about that. Didn't look like the Mercury area on this board gets many visitors, so thought it would increase my chances of someone in the know seeing my question if I posted to two existing threads on the topic that people might have subscribed to.

I'm so frustrated not being able to get a straight answer out of anyone at Ford or the dealers, so I'm trying hard to get an answer from those in the know on the 'net, which generally has worked well in other areas of knowledge.

Edited by Dan Harkless

Ah. Got it. Thanks.

Sorry about that. Didn't look like the Mercury area on this board gets many visitors, so thought it would increase my chances of someone in the know seeing my question if I posted to two existing threads on the topic that people might have subscribed to.

I'm so frustrated not being able to get a straight answer out of anyone at Ford or the dealers, so I'm trying hard to get an answer from those in the know on the 'net, which generally has worked well in other areas of knowledge.

I'm not sure anyone knows the entire plan yet. This appeared to be a quick decision from the top so it's doubtful they've had time to figure out the plan exactly. Just a few minutes before the announcement they were still working on the new Tracer. I'm sure they're working hard to figure out exactly what to do with each model and they'll share that with the dealers as soon as they do. For now you'll just have to wait.

I'm not sure anyone knows the entire plan yet. This appeared to be a quick decision from the top so it's doubtful they've had time to figure out the plan exactly. Just a few minutes before the announcement they were still working on the new Tracer. I'm sure they're working hard to figure out exactly what to do with each model and they'll share that with the dealers as soon as they do. For now you'll just have to wait.

Ah. Didn't realize it was such a sudden decision. That helps with understanding this -- thanks. The potentially good news is that I finally found a dealer willing to attempt to order a 2011 Milan for me. We're supposed to hear back from Ford on Monday as to whether it'll go through.