Limited and SHO models

— SYNC® Voice-Activated Communications and

Entertainment System (911 assist, Vehicle Health

Reports, traffic reports, GPS based turn by turn driving

directions and information services)

Fleet only option on SE

Changes

— Voice-Activated Navigation In-dash screen & Single

DVD/CD/MP3 Player, DVD-audio, DVD-video capability.

Internal hard disk drive for map, POI storage, 10 GB

Music Jukebox Integrated SIRIUS® Travel Link and HD

Radio (NEW!)

— SYNC® Voice-Activated Communications and

Entertainment System (911 assist, Vehicle Health

Reports, traffic reports, GPS based turn by turn driving

directions and information services)

Note: Traffic, Directions, Information Services receive a

complimentary three year pre-paid subscription (one

phone/primary account)

Note: New for 2011 when paired with Voice-Activated

Navigation System (58N), SYNC® Traffic, Directions and

Information services are compatible with the vehicles

Navigation System

ACCESSORIES

All-Weather Floor Mats (97M)

Smoker's Pack with Ash/Coin Cup (97P)

Cargo Organizer (97C)

PowerCode™ Remote Start System (97S)

Here's a crazy question.

If you don't know if there are any improvements, why would you trade a

one year old car for the same model?

During gentle driving, the transmission is making a noise during upshifts,

most noticeable on the 5 to 6 upshift. The dealer service advisor said that

the noise is not loud enough to be covered by warranty. If I'm going to spend

money, I'd rather spend it on a new one than on repairs to the old one.

During gentle driving, the transmission is making a noise during upshifts,

most noticeable on the 5 to 6 upshift. The dealer service advisor said that

the noise is not loud enough to be covered by warranty. If I'm going to spend

money, I'd rather spend it on a new one than on repairs to the old one.

But assuming that it's not something Ford considers a manufacturing defect, what makes you think that the new Taurus that you're getting won't have the same issue? If you really don't want that transmission noise, get a Fusion Hybrid or MKZ Hybrid.

But assuming that it's not something Ford considers a manufacturing defect, what makes you think that the new Taurus that you're getting won't have the same issue? If you really don't want that transmission noise, get a Fusion Hybrid or MKZ Hybrid.

My 2010 was quiet during the first 3000 miles. And my 2008 Taurus Limited had the same 6 speed

transmission and it upshifted without any noise during the two years that I owned it. I usually trade every

year or two anyway. It's a sickness.

My 2010 was quiet during the first 3000 miles. And my 2008 Taurus Limited had the same 6 speed

transmission and it upshifted without any noise during the two years that I owned it. I usually trade every

year or two anyway. It's a sickness.

Why don't you try a transmission service? Maybe even consider a high end aftermarket fluid, like:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=115&pcid=9

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atl.aspx

...could help. ^_^

I'm sorry, but I just can't endorse this wastefulness, whether this is good for Ford or not.

Wastefulness??? doh.gif It's his money... he can do what he wants with it. If the trade makes him happy... why not??

Everyone has different priorities, needs and wants..

You sound like sour grapes.

Life is to short not to enjoy.happy%20feet.gif

Wastefulness??? doh.gif It's his money... he can do what he wants with it. If the trade makes him happy... why not??

Everyone has different priorities, needs and wants..

You sound like sour grapes.

Life is to short not to enjoy.happy%20feet.gif

I don't know if I'm "sour grapes"; I certainly don't know whether I can afford to or not. What I do know is that endorsing this kind of spending is not good for society at large. Among the reasons that our economy is in this mess is that for too long, we had been encouraging people to spend beyond their means. It's probably not beyond his means to spend like this, but it is still wasteful. While this isn't as much conspicuous consumption as the Tesla Roadster and the Fisker Karma (both of which I've criticized the buyers of despite their supposed "greenness"), it is still not something that should be encouraged. There is a cost to society as well as to himself for this kind of spending, and while it is his freedom to spend his money, it certainly shouldn't be worthy of praise.

There is a reason why Steve solicited opinions here. I have to write mine as I see it. He certainly doesn't have to listen to me. I myself think that the 2010 Taurus is beautiful and well-designed, 5th->6th shift noise or not. (Certainly this issue has been reported on many other Ford six-speed automatic transmission vehicles and doesn't seem to be unique to the Taurus itself, and certainly doesn't appear to be creating any safety issues.) In my opinion, it is not wise to be spending the kind of money that he would be for a 2011 Taurus for this issue *particularly when the issue is significantly likely to occur as well*. If the issue bothers him enough that he is willing to spend this kind of money to solve it, might as well get a vehicle that doesn't have this issue (which I myself consider a nonissue based on my limited one-week experience with a 2010 Fusion SEL V6 -- while acknowledging that that it is his comfort, not mine, that is important to him), entirely. Like a Fusion Hybrid or an MKZ Hybrid (both of which use CVT).

Edited by nelsonlu

The wastefulness angle of trading more often than necessary is interesting.

If guilty, I've been guilty of that for a very long time. I bought a new Taurus in '86,

traded it for an '87, then traded that one for an '88. I wasn't dissatisfied with any

of those cars that I recall.

When I trade for a new one, I'm creating a really nice used car for the dealership

to sell to someone that wants a quality car, but can't quite afford or chooses not to

afford a new one. In other words, one man's waste becomes another man's treasure.

steve577, most new Taurus in-stock at dealerships currently are 2011 models (Job 1 for MY 2011 was in May 2010). So you shouldn't encounter any difficulty finding one to test drive and determine if the 6F transmission is satisfactory. Also, you might want to consider a 3.5L Ford Fusion Sport or Lincoln MKZ- the Aisin AW 6-speed automatic in these cars may be more to your liking.

I'm sorry, but I just can't endorse this wastefulness, whether this is good for Ford or not.

I'm not sure he was asking for your endorsement ; )

Trading in a car every year isn't what I'd want to do, but if he can afford it, it's his money.

steve577, most new Taurus in-stock at dealerships currently are 2011 models (Job 1 for MY 2011 was in May 2010). So you shouldn't encounter any difficulty finding one to test drive and determine if the 6F transmission is satisfactory. Also, you might want to consider a 3.5L Ford Fusion Sport or Lincoln MKZ- the Aisin AW 6-speed automatic in these cars may be more to your liking.

The 2010 Fusion switched to the 6F. And if he is dissatisfied with the 6F, he'll hate the AW.

The 2010 Fusion switched to the 6F. And if he is dissatisfied with the 6F, he'll hate the AW.

actually only the 3L has the 6F...see the issues it shares with the Escape. For some reason the Asian unit is still used with the 3.5L... surprise surprise

This TSB is from 2009 so I don't know if it's been updated to include the 2010 Taurus. Worth a look though.

09-11-3 6F50 TRANSMISSION WITH A MOAN OR BUZZ TYPE NOISE ON

FORD: 2009 Taurus X, Taurus, Flex

LINCOLN: 2009 MKS

MERCURY: 2009 Sable

ISSUE:

Some 2009 Taurus, Taurus X, Sable, Flex, MKS vehicles equipped with a 6F50 automatic transmission may have a moan or buzz type noise during the 4-5 upshift and/or 5-6 upshift. This may be due to the cooler lines grounding out on the vehicle body.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the cooler line assembly following Workshop Manual, Section 307-02.

The new assembly will not attach to the vehicle body bracket.

The alignment marks on the rubber hoses are installed at the 9 o'clock position at the cooler tubes.

Verify the cooler lines do not contact the hood release cable or vehicle wiring harness.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

AG1Z-7R081-A Cooler Lines (Taurus / Taurus X / Sable)

AG1Z-7R081-C Cooler Lines (MKS / Flex)

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

091103A 2009 Taurus, TaurusX, Flex, MKS, Sable: Replace Transmission Cooler Lines (Do Not Use With 9600A, 10732A) 1.3 Hrs.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

7R081 07

When the car was new, the transmission was perfect and quiet. But then I used the

paddle shifters a number of times when going downhill locally at very slow speeds.

On a few occasions when going slow enough to shift from second to first:

• I selected 1st gear using a paddle shifter.

• The readout showed 1st gear as solid no blinking.

• The transmission dropped out of 2nd gear but failed to engage 1st gear.

• The car free-wheeled for three or four seconds gaining speed.

• When the transmission reengaged, there was a very loud, severe thump that

shook the car as if the TCM was trying to engage two gears at once.

I would speculate that those incidents damaged the component that is now making noise

during upshifts. I quit using the paddle shifters on my 2010 and will avoid using them

on the new 2011 Taurus when I get it and I expect there will be no problems with the 2011.

Incidentally, I had a 2005 Chrysler 300C years ago and in the manual mode, the

TCM would not allow a downshift from 2nd to 1st gear. You could

downshift to any of the other gears, but not first gear.

Did it also start out in 2nd gear when in manual mode? That's probably a holdover from the old EPA tests. On the 2000 Lincoln LS the EPA test cycle would not allow it to reach 5th gear for some stupid reason so they had to program it to start in 2nd gear under normal acceleration. This prevented it from being hit with a gas guzzler tax at the time. Ford did figure out how to get around it though - if you gave it more than 60% throttle it would downshift to 1st and then 1st was available until you came to a complete stop again. In 2003 the EPA finally changed the test so Ford allowed 1st gear starts. I guess Chrysler never updated their programming.

With the2005 Chrysler 300C, you can manually choose to

start out in either 1st or 2nd gear. It will not allow downshifting

to 1st gear though, until you come to a complete stop. That would

be a good idea for the chief transmission engineer at Ford to

consider implementing.

With the2005 Chrysler 300C, you can manually choose to

start out in either 1st or 2nd gear. It will not allow downshifting

to 1st gear though, until you come to a complete stop. That would

be a good idea for the chief transmission engineer at Ford to

consider implementing.

Huh? I thought Ford allowed manual shifting to any gear provided the RPM was appropriate. Are you saying it should not allow a downshift to 1st except at a complete stop? I don't see the benefit of that.