2011 FORD EXPLORER BRINGS CLASS-LEADING FUEL ECONOMY, PERFORMANCE TO SPORT UTILITY SEGMENT

From what I understand, the Regal will be getting a V6. I do believe the Sonata already offers one as well, in addition to the turbo-4.

Ford is simply limiting Ford brand's potential if they are going to hamper them with subpar powertrains just to make Lincoln "unique".

The Regal will only be available with the 2.4L DI and the 2.0L DI Turbo. The 2011+ Sonata no longer offers a V6 either. Hyundai specifically said that by eliminating the V6 they were able to design the front end around a more compact engine bay, which lead to a decrease in weight for all Sonata trims/models.

Edited by atvman

The Regal will only be available with the 2.4L DI and the 2.0L DI Turbo. The 2011+ Sonata no longer offers a V6 either. Hyundai specifically said that by eliminating the V6 they were able to design the front end around a more compact engine bay, which lead to a decrease in weight for all Sonata trims/models.

Also, remember that CD3 is being merged with the Euro Mondeo Platform for the next gen of the CD cars. The Euro Mondeo is transverse inline engined only at this point. Now that Ford has an I4 turbo that produces competitive power to the GM and Hyundai setups, there's no reason for them not to go the same route as their competition and make the next Fusion Inline engined only.

I wonder, though, Ford has that 2.5L I-5 from Volvo in their blueprint room and already use it in several Euro platforms. Could that potentially be their future 2.5L EB? I don't know enough details about that engine, only that it may not have as sophisticated of a TiVCT setup as Ford's US products and it doesn't have heads optimized for GDI usage. Perhaps in it's next renovation, Ford could bring it around in a 300hp / 300 tq 2.5L I5 EB package? That would easily trump anything from GM or Hyundai. GM needs that 2.6L V6 to get in that range, which is a packaging nuisance for them, Hyundai doesn't have an engine package like that, Chryco is miles behind. Toyota, Honda and Nissan don't even play in that area at the moment, save for the RDX and one or two proposed future products for Nissan.

I've driven an XC-90 with the 2004 version of the I5 turbo package that volvo was using at the time and it was very refined in NVH and delivered smooth power. Not a bad choice to develop in my opinion.

I'm extremely interested in this vehicle as a a family mover. The look of the Traverse never impressed me although the Acadia's style is very good. I can't wait to sit in a new Explorer. The lambdas always make me feel like I'm sitting on the floor with its low seat cushions and high seat backs giving me a case of claustrophobia. I'm hoping the new Ford has an airier feel inside.

I've never been an SUV kind of guy. I do a lot of outdoors stuff, camping, canoeing, mountain biking, snowboarding, and it often involves some light off-roading to get to where i'm going, but I've always been able to satisfy my needs with smaller more fuel efficient vehicles (just got back from a camping road trip in a Fit, and we averaged 44mpg over 2100 miles). I've always been a bit of an "ecomentalist", but somehow this new explorer has ignited a strong "gotta have it" feeling inside me. Just a few weeks back, seeing the spy shots and teasers of this thing, and then seeing the new Grand Cherokee, I started thinking that a vehicle in this segment is pretty hot. The new Jeep is pretty nice, and then finally the Explorer is unveiled and I find myself trying to find excuses for me to some day feel like I'm justified in getting one. Its the same kind of object driven desire I (and a lot of other people) get when I look at Apple products, nice tight design, very modern looking. The front end could be a bit better IMO, although i guess the steeper rake helps with drag, but the tail end is REALLY nice, especially the red one with the chrome trim. Those tail lights are awesome. The interior looks pretty nice too. I just wish they'd offer a 3rd row delete option or something. I'm really not the kind of guy to haul around 6 other people, but i am the guy that often needs to max out the cargo capacity of a given vehicle.

As far as engines go, i'd love to get the 2.0L for fuel efficiency reasons, but I wouldn't want to give up 4wd and the towing capability. Hopefully by the time I'd be ready to buy a vehicle like this (honestly, it'll be at least 5 years) there'll be a similarly sized diesel equivalent or even a hybrid by then. We'll see. Anyway, I'm really curious to see how the market responds to this thing. Is there really demand for this kind of vehicle these days? Seems like the GM equivalents have been doing pretty well lately though (Acadia etc...), maybe Ford can steal away some of those buyers.