2011 FORD EXPLORER BRINGS CLASS-LEADING FUEL ECONOMY, PERFORMANCE TO SPORT UTILITY SEGMENT

The fuel tank is just 18.6Gallons, seems kinda small for such a big vehicle, Mast antenna should be embedded into the glass. Dont care for the dual stalks. Back window looks pretty small to look out of, good thing for backup camera. No flip up glass on liftgate, big dissapointment for me there. Dont care for the speedometer having the "0" at the very bottom straight line. Ideally, the needle would only move like 20 percent of the dial most of the time. I like the new window switches and doorlock buttons, they seem to have a more sophisticated look, than the clakity stuff used in the past. I see dual rear A/C is available too. Not sure if 255TQ is enough for such a heavy vehicle. Ecoboost needed.

Will see if l can get away with more than one post on the Explorer.

If you want a great SUV you need look no further than this Explorer it ticks all the right boxes great job Ford, its got that once you walk into the showroom you will want one magnetic appeal and thats what matters. Good to see Ford will have trusty American Good Year tyres rather than Jap Crap fitted to them.

Wrap round glass at the back gives superb visibility but might also be something that put people off buying it, this does not look much different to the 2008 Ford Explorer America Concept so no surprises here.

5944.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

For SUV drivers seeking maximum fuel efficiency, Ford introduces the all-new Explorer with an available EcoBoost2.0-liter I-4. Combining direct injection of gasoline and turbocharging, this advanced engine delivers performance comparable to normally aspirated competitive V6 engines. Developing up to 237 horsepower at 5,500 rpm, this I-4 delivers 250 lb.-ft. of torque. Estimated fuel economy improves by more than 30 percent, putting the fuel efficiency of the Ford Explorer in line with sedans such as the 2010 Toyota Camry V6.

Good job Ford, Explorer will be well received by the public in North America.

Wow, what an exciting engine, I can't wait to see The Ecoboost 2.0 in the Falcon.

The fuel tank is just 18.6Gallons, seems kinda small for such a big vehicle, Mast antenna should be embedded into the glass. Dont care for the dual stalks. Back window looks pretty small to look out of, good thing for backup camera. No flip up glass on liftgate, big dissapointment for me there. Dont care for the speedometer having the "0" at the very bottom straight line. Ideally, the needle would only move like 20 percent of the dial most of the time. I like the new window switches and doorlock buttons, they seem to have a more sophisticated look, than the clakity stuff used in the past. I see dual rear A/C is available too. Not sure if 255TQ is enough for such a heavy vehicle. Ecoboost needed.

-I don't care for the dual stalks, either, but understand why they did it.

-I also like the liftglass, but it's not a deal-breaker.

-I too am not the biggest fan of the 0 at the bottom of the gauge, or the PRNDL indicator in the gauges (why is that the newest thing?), but to gain MyFord Touch out of it easily outweighs that dislike.

-I thought the same thing about the new switches/door lock buttons ever since we saw that sneak peek shot of the lock buttons in that video released the other day.

-Where are you seeing dual rear A/C?

-Flex with the standard 3.5L V6 makes do with 248 lb-ft of torque and only 262-hp.

it notes that the ecoboost it matches the fuel economy of v6 camry... which is rated 20/29... if thats true then wow!

Fox news had a blip about it this morning and said 26 mpg hwy. I know they are not an automotive news cast and perhaps that was for the V6? I dont know. Alan M is going to be on Neil Cuvuto today at 4 est.

I like it but bet it will be very expensive. I am bit concerned it may be down a tad on power. Throw seven people in it and tow something and I bet it would feel weak. Its not a fair comparison but my sisters Honda mini van shifts itself to death and has to run hard with a full load and it wont tow anything.

I think overall Ford has done a hell of a good job here. They are shooting for gas mileage with decent performance which is just a sign of the times. Gas prices are not going down.

I am bit concerned it may be down a tad on power. Throw seven people in it and tow something and I bet it would feel weak. Its not a fair comparison but my sisters Honda mini van shifts itself to death and has to run hard with a full load and it wont tow anything.

Um how is a 290 HP 3.5L V6 weak?

The Ecoboost I4 might be, but I'm sure it will work fine for hauling around kids with or throwing a kayak on top of

Um how is a 290 HP 3.5L V6 weak?

The Ecoboost I4 might be, but I'm sure it will work fine for hauling around kids with or throwing a kayak on top of

Its not weak but the torque curve may be suspect and never ever be comparable to a V8. Of course my example is an extreme and I know that. A older v8 4 runner is going to feel more powerful by the seat of the pants because it doesnt have to shift and rev itself to death. Thats just perception on my part because the v8 will never have to work hard.

Now, it sucks gas like v8's do of course. The explorer is going to be lighter and its just one of those things thats hard to get used to after you get used to V8 lugging power at lower rpms. I am not complaining but a 230 hp v8 can feel more powerful than a 290 hp v6. According to Ford engines spend 98 percent of their time at 3K rpms or below. I hope the 3.5 is tuned correctly to move the load.

Its not weak but the torque curve may be suspect and never ever be comparable to a V8. Of course my example is an extreme and I know that. A older v8 4 runner is going to feel more powerful by the seat of the pants because it doesnt have to shift and rev itself to death. Thats just perception on my part because the v8 will never have to work hard.

Now, it sucks gas like v8's do of course. The explorer is going to be lighter and its just one of those things thats hard to get used to after you get used to V8 lugging power at lower rpms. I am not complaining but a 230 hp v8 can feel more powerful than a 290 hp v6. According to Ford engines spend 98 percent of their time at 3K rpms or below. I hope the 3.5 is tuned correctly to move the load.

The vast majority of Explorers sold since 1991 came with a 210 hp/254 lb ft V6. Some people just look for reasons to complain. If that was good enough for the last 20 years then why is it all of a sudden "suspect"?

Good job Ford, Explorer will be well received by the public in North America.

Wow, what an exciting engine, I can't wait to see The Ecoboost 2.0 in the Falcon.

I think new explorer will be well received in the whole world. I do not see any SUV so attractive so far. How many people have ever image a explorer has Gas milage at 29mpg. I love my 2007 fusion, it just reach 30mpg in summer.

The vast majority of Explorers sold since 1991 came with a 210 hp/254 lb ft V6. Some people just look for reasons to complain. If that was good enough for the last 20 years then why is it all of a sudden "suspect"?

Point taken but back in the day a 4 runner v6 was making more hp than the v8. I have driven them both extensively and there is no replacement for low end torque. The V8 just out shines it in every way possible except on paper.

Im not complaining here at all and the average buyer is never going to know the difference. Its kinda like they dont have a clue about the unibody. Dont forget a lot of explorers came with the venerable 302 and 4.6. That last 4.6 made what? 290hp/315 ft lbs? Dont tell me I could not feel the difference between that and the 3.5. Yes, it would burn a butt load more gas.

I am a power monger and when you cut it down I get skeptical. I have no doubt this will be a hit for Ford. Its just a sign of the times like I said before. I do give Ford a big thumbs up for making big strides on the mileage front. Even if it comes at the expense of some reserve power.