Drum Brakes/Leasing

Daryll40

My teenage son has me almost convinced to get the Fiesta instead of the $202 lease (36 months, $600 upfront money) on a Honda Civic.

Two questions:

1. Why no Ford leasing?

2. What's with the drum brakes. I was, frankly, shocked to see them. Didn't they go out with Ricardo Maltalban's "Crushed Corinthian Leather"? Are they safe?

Some insight here would be helpful. The good magazine ratings and 29MPG city is very enticing.

As for the leasing, I can't answer you. I'm not the dealershup type. Perhaps one of our dealer guys can answer that one for you.

As for the drum brakes, they are perfectly safe, particularly when only used on the rear of the car, as they are in the Fiesta. Most of the braking force is applied by the front brakes on a vehicle anyway. Drums are simpler and last longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Leasing almost went away after the whole economy tanked. But, it seems like it's making a comeback. For example, Ford of Canada pretty much didn't show an option to lease much anything last year. Now, it's starting to show up again on the Build & Price sections - albeit with rates that are quite...um...high. What part of the country are you in - US or Canada?

As for drum brakes, I wouldn't be that concerned unless your son had aspirations to take the car out on a racetrack or something. I know disc brakes are a lot more effective than drums, but what NickF1011 is true. It's older technology, but it gets the job done (maybe not more effectively, but sure lasts a lot longer). On my Focus, I didn't have to replace the rear drum shoes until somewhere around 250,000 km only because whoever didn't adjust them properly during a brake service. On my current set, I've put on close to that much mileage and the material is still good (both thickness and condition).

I can't answer leasing so I'll ask my dad who's a dealer. I can say for my purchase, drum rears wasn't an issue considering it's standard in the segment. I also believe in order to make money in this segment, you have to sell a lot of Fiestas at a profit so: A. The interest rate for finance is a little higher then normal (Good Luck trying to get under 5% through Ford Credit, the bank offered 8%). And B. Higher end gear such as rear discs and a potential sport model don't normally come out until a year or 2 after inital sales show promise.

I'm getting a SES so if rear discs are available next year, I won't kick myself. Besides, the ESP is pretty good if somewhat a nanny where I can't do some hard core cornering.

Edited by Hugh

Disc brakes do offer more fade resistance than drum brakes, since they can dissipate heat faster.

However, that is not normally an issue on the street for rear drum brakes on small cars (the front brakes do most of the braking). Now, if you do track or competition driving, or ride the brakes down long hills (instead of properly downshifting for engine braking to help control speed), that may be an issue.

They are offering leasing, depending on the dealership you go to, they have it but may not "offer" it to you because they may be trying to get you to buy them. On this vehicle you'll most likely get a cheaper payment if you buy depending on length of loan. Either way though - with Ford Credit financing terms - leasing sucks right now. If you want to lease find yourself a credit union that offers that with good to better competitive rates and go that route. Credit unions do leasing. Hell go with a credit union even if you are buying - any Ford Credit APR offer right now sucks ass and probably will for the next couple of years.