Driver Cell Phone Ban

Critic

Ban Cell Phones?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. I support a ban on all cell phone usage while driving

I waited for this topic to appear today, and I'm certain quite a few people saw this article, but do not want to bring the topic up.

09/20/2010

Automakers worried about driver cell phone crackdown

Highlights:

On Sunday at a meeting in Kansas City, the Governors Highway Safety Association is slated to consider a proposal by California to ban all cell phone use in vehicles. "GHSA supports a total ban of cell phone use (hands free and hand held) and text messaging for all drivers," the resolution obtained by The Detroit News says.

"GHSA also supports a ban on electronic devices used for entertainment purposes with video screens that are within view of the driver and a ban for school bus drivers on text messaging or using electronic devices except in emergencies."

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said today that distracted driving-related crashes claimed 5,474 lives and led to 448,000 traffic injuries across the U.S. in 2009 -- a decline of about 360 deaths over 2008.

Distraction related fatalities represented 16 percent of overall traffic fatalities in 2009, the same percentage as in 2008.

The numbers show that 995 deaths, or 18 percent, involved reports of a cell phone as a distraction. Cell phone use accounted for 5 percent, or 24,000, of the reported 448,000 injuries. But not all cell phone use is recorded by police after accidents, making a total picture of cell phone use in distracted driving incidents difficult to quantify.

NHTSA's study found that the proportion of fatalities associated with driver distraction increased from 10 to 16 percent between 2005 and 2009.

According to NHTSA data, the under-20 age group was responsible for the greatest proportion of distracted drivers. Sixteen percent of all under-20 drivers involved in a fatal crash were reported to have been distracted while driving. Of those drivers involved in fatal crashes who were reportedly distracted, the 30-39 year old group had the highest proportion of cell phone involvement -- about 24 percent.

I voted yes,

It's not about enforcement at this point, it's about the proliferation of usage. I know people will hardly be dissuaded by a mere law as they already want to hack a DVD player to be able to watch a video while driving.

A lot of people have lost the common courtesy of waiting to take a call while they are talking to you. You must wait. But I think the time has now come to get rid of the 'Right' to talk on the phone while your driving and making a potential hazard of yourself with other people on the highways. Driving is a privilege, not a right. I can't figure out how we seemed to survive before cell phones.

• Like 1

I voted yes,

It's not about enforcement at this point, it's about the proliferation of usage. I know people will hardly be dissuaded by a mere law as they already want to hack a DVD player to be able to watch a video while driving.

A lot of people have lost the common courtesy of waiting to take a call while they are talking to you. You must wait. But I think the time has now come to get rid of the 'Right' to talk on the phone while your driving and making a potential hazard of yourself with other people on the highways. Driving is a privilege, not a right. I can't figure out how we seemed to survive before cell phones.

Around here (Canada) it is becoming popular for provincial governments to enact bans on hand-held cell phone use but permitting hands free communication. That satisfies the public need to feel like something is being done (and raise revenues via fines) without actually accomplishing anything about driver distraction. All scientific studies done on the subject conclude it is the actual act of having a conversation which results in driver distraction, not the use of hand held cell phones specifically.

Around here (Canada) it is becoming popular for provincial governments to enact bans on hand-held cell phone use but permitting hands free communication. That satisfies the public need to feel like something is being done (and raise revenues via fines) without actually accomplishing anything about driver distraction. All scientific studies done on the subject conclude it is the actual act of having a conversation which results in driver distraction, not the use of hand held cell phones specifically.

Worse than that, texting while driving.

THis is similar to their assault on speeding.

Talking on the phone is no different than talking to one of your passengers. The cold hard reality is, if you aren't paying attention to the road, you will have problems, phone or not.

Instead of cracking down on bad drivers, the Government goes after the easiest solution.

Speeding doesn't kill. Bad driving does

Talking on the phone doesn't kill. Bad driving does.

Call me a sexist or a bigot, I don't care. But if you want to improve road safety, get most of the women, Asians and old people off the road.

I'll leave you with this tid bit from someone of moderate power who thinks speeding is dangerous. I asked them how speeding could be deadly, if some of the safest roads in the word, the Autobahn, doesn't have a speed limit. Their response? There aren't that many fast cars in Germany. Yeah, thanks for proving my point about your ignorance of driving

Talking on the phone is no different than talking to one of your passengers. The cold hard reality is, if you aren't paying attention to the road, you will have problems, phone or not.

Instead of cracking down on bad drivers, the Government goes after the easiest solution.

Call me a sexist or a bigot, I don't care. But if you want to improve road safety, get most of the women, Asians and old people off the road.

I'll leave you with this tid bit from someone of moderate power who thinks speeding is dangerous. I asked them how speeding could be deadly, if some of the safest roads in the word, the Autobahn, doesn't have a speed limit. Their response? There aren't that many fast cars in Germany. Yeah, thanks for proving my point about your ignorance of driving

I agree with many points. The issue isn't so much with the "talking" part. It's when you're holding the phone up to your ear creating your own personal "blind spot" and the (bad) driver can't turn to look over their shoulder to actually look before changing lanes. That and the task of actually dialing (or scrolling through your contact list) are the most dangerous as[ects of cell use while driving.

Inattentive driving is nothing new. In 1987 I T-Boned a girl that was running a light tuning in her radio. I got sideswiped by a guy that was turning left into my lane while trying to light a cigarette and in 1999 got rearended in my truck by a guy that was reading a book in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic.

Unfortunately, our government has the attitude of "safety by legislation" rather than making people responsible for their idiotic behaviour. The legal BAC is .08 but a .05 is cause for suspension and a fine with no trial. No cell phones while driving. There is already a traffic ticket for 50kmh over the limit (32MPH) but now if you're caught it's "stunt driving" and can cost you

•6 demerit points

•$2,000.00 - $10,000.00 fine

•a possible suspension of your driver's licence for a period of no more than 2 years

•a possible term of imprisonment for up to 6 months

Not that I condone unsafe driving, but it's getting pretty damned ridiculous.

Cell phones are just the latest in a long line of driver distractions, years ago it was people mucking with their 8 tracks, tape players, CD players, playing loud music, eating while driving,

I've even passed a guy reading a news paper while driving.

The problem is these people don't see the danger in what they're doing so no amount of education will cure that.

Tie that in with the guys that treat the highways as their own personal race track and you have a recipe for disaster.

Sure they can weave in and out of lanes like a pro but when something unexpected happens, they are done for

and they usually take someone else's loved one with them.

Unfortunately, our government has the attitude of "safety by legislation" rather than making people responsible for their idiotic behaviour. The legal BAC is .08 but a .05 is cause for suspension and a fine with no trial. No cell phones while driving. There is already a traffic ticket for 50kmh over the limit (32MPH) but now if you're caught it's "stunt driving" and can cost you

•6 demerit points

•a possible suspension of your driver's licence for a period of no more than 2 years

There is a guy at our plant who was hit with that charge. I'm not sure how it's turned out, but not long after it happened, a local cop ran a stop sign and was t-boned by a truck. Her partner was killed instantly. No charges were laid because the "trauma" of living with his death was enough.

So go over the speed limit, go to jail.

Blast through a stop sign and kill someone, and get a pat on the back.

Our Government is f$#ked

youre kidding me right.....talking on the phone is similar to holding a conversation????? Are your girlfriends buttons as small as the cell phone? PLEASE ...dont sing in the car either....

I agree with many points. The issue isn't so much with the "talking" part. It's when you're holding the phone up to your ear creating your own personal "blind spot" and the (bad) driver can't turn to look over their shoulder to actually look before changing lanes. That and the task of actually dialing (or scrolling through your contact list) are the most dangerous as[ects of cell use while driving.

Inattentive driving is nothing new. In 1987 I T-Boned a girl that was running a light tuning in her radio. I got sideswiped by a guy that was turning left into my lane while trying to light a cigarette and in 1999 got rearended in my truck by a guy that was reading a book in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic.

•6 demerit points

but apparently the answer is more stringent safety standards...more airbags, stricter rollover standards, sid eintrusion standards etc etc.....think the focus is skewed in maybe the wrong direction??????

The limo and taxi industries would loooooooooove that one....and so would their passengers. :rolleyes:

answer...install hands free.....lets see, I would say MOST current vehicles avail today either for Taxi or Limo service would be avil with a factory hands free system....may take time, but SOMETHING has to be done....right now its a joke...maybe its more of an issue to me because I commute on the bike but still...GET OFF THE FRIGGEN PHONE....

answer...install hands free.....lets see, I would say MOST current vehicles avail today either for Taxi or Limo service would be avil with a factory hands free system....may take time, but SOMETHING has to be done....right now its a joke...maybe its more of an issue to me because I commute on the bike but still...GET OFF THE FRIGGEN PHONE....

Hands-free is great...if you don't have use of your hands. If you are a passenger there is NO reason you shouldn't be able to look through your phone book, browse the web, text your friends, or send dirty pictures to your wife.

Just make it illegal to hold a phone if you are driving, as many areas are already doing (it becomes law here in MD on October 1st). Anything beyond that would ridiculously overstep the scope of usefulness and/or enforceableness.

Hands-free is great...if you don't have use of your hands. If you are a passenger there is NO reason you shouldn't be able to look through your phone book, browse the web, text your friends, or send dirty pictures to your wife.

Just make it illegal to hold a phone if you are driving, as many areas are already doing (it becomes law here in MD on October 1st). Anything beyond that would ridiculously overstep the scope of usefulness and/or enforceableness.

call me a geezer...but as a kid I never had a cell phone, browsed the web or any of that crap....we entertained ourselves on trips...now days people are LOST without their I phones and Blackberries, to which i answer get a damn life ( course here I am blogging....however when i leave i switch COMPLETELY off ) ...i DO wonder if there was one or two days a year when ANY form of electronic companionship? was switched off...personally Id LOVE it...world has become WAY too dependent....hell when i was a kid and got outa line i got spanked, now the punishment is taking the kids cell phone...progress?

• Like 1

call me a geezer...but as a kid I never had a cell phone, browsed the web or any of that crap....we entertained ourselves on trips...now days people are LOST without their I phones and Blackberries, to which i answer get a damn life ( course here I am blogging....however when i leave i switch COMPLETELY off ) ...i DO wonder if there was one or two days a year when ANY form of electronic companionship? was switched off...personally Id LOVE it...world has become WAY too dependent....hell when i was a kid and got outa line i got spanked, now the punishment is taking the kids cell phone...progress?

Did you have to walk uphill in the snow to and from school also?

Times change. What do I use my phone for? To stay connected to my life and all the people I know in it.

• Like 1

Did you have to walk uphill in the snow to and from school also?

Times change. What do I use my phone for? To stay connected to my life and all the people I know in it.

nope...rode a bike 10 miles to, 10 miles back, rain hail or snow.....me, like to be dis connected every now and then and completely removed from the hustle bustle, then again all i deal with all day is people and phone calls....theres little give up.....I find peoples OBSESSION ( and YES, thats what it is ) with constant calling each other and texting a reflection of a lack of organization.... and excuse my angst, but IMO theres a time and place for everything, driving a car and talking on the phone or even worse texting should NOT co-exist....many a time Ive had to contain myself in Motorcycle regalia from pulling someone over and beating the living snot out of them....so far Ive shown restraint.....

Edited by Deanh

Happened again early this morning. Some nitwit on the interstate in an exit only lane decided to change lanes at the last minute, problem was that I already was where he wanted to be, and he did not even bother to look or signal. Qiuck application of brakes and a very attentive semi driver behind me averted another one. Then Mr. "I just have to talk to someone RIGHT NOW" proceeds to drop to 50 mph. As I get around him, I see he has a bluetoorh in one ear, cell phone held up against the other, and was holding his dayplanner on the wheel (driving with dome light on also).

A ban is needed.

Another great idea I heard was that all motor vehicles should be equipped with an RF detector, so that is a cell phone is in use inside the vehicle and the speed is over 5 mph the horn blows, all exterior lights flash, and the radio immediately tunes into a station that is broadcasting heavy metal music and plays at maximum volume. {sarcastic}