Focus Order Guide Available

rkisler

so could one assume if you check the option box Sport Package but do not want the black piano grille this can be deleted as well or any of the other features that are supposedly included in the Sport Package?

My theory is if manual tranny is selectable with the Sport Package why then is it not listed as an available item in the Sport Package?

Edited by MKII

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so could one assume if you check the option box Sport Package but do not want the black piano grille this can be deleted as well or any of the other features that are supposedly included in the Sport Package?

My theory is if manual tranny is selectable with the Sport Package why then is it not listed as an available item in the Sport Package?

I think the other items (like the piano black grille) are fixed. It's just SelectShift that's causing all the confusion.

If you equip an SE with the standard manual transmission and you order the Sport Package, I read the build guide as saying you won't be able to get SelectShift (because you need the automatic for that to happen).

If you equip an SE with the PowerShift automatic transmission and you order the Sport Package, you'll get SelectShift because it's part of the Sport package.

Meanwhile, if you want to equip an SE with the PowerShift automatic transmission and you want the SelectShift option, you can't - you need to order the Sport Package.

The only reason I can think of the manual transmission not listed in the sport package is because it's already stanadard on the SE. So, putting it in the "Sport Package" section again could be just repetitive and redundant.

I think the other items (like the piano black grille) are fixed. It's just SelectShift that's causing all the confusion.

If you equip an SE with the standard manual transmission and you order the Sport Package, I read the build guide as saying you won't be able to get SelectShift (because you need the automatic for that to happen).

If you equip an SE with the PowerShift automatic transmission and you order the Sport Package, you'll get SelectShift because it's part of the Sport package.

Meanwhile, if you want to equip an SE with the PowerShift automatic transmission and you want the SelectShift option, you can't - you need to order the Sport Package.

The only reason I can think of the manual transmission not listed in the sport package is because it's already stanadard on the SE. So, putting it in the "Sport Package" section again could be just repetitive and redundant.

This is exactly correct and is the only interpretation that makes sense. All they're trying to show is that you only get SelectShift if you order the automatic transmission with the sport package.

If the automatic was required then SelectShift would not have a footnote and it would state that the package requires the automatic or that the automatic is included in the package. It does neither.

Your explanations are very good but do not make sense. What you are claiming is that the Select Shift being listed as part of the bundled Sport Package can be omitted. I have never seen a bundled specified option package which allows one to omit one of the `fixed` features.

Drum brakes are standard equipment on the SE yes?

So can one keep the drums brakes if one checks the option box for the Sport Package which lists rear discs as part of the bundled Sport Package.

Your explanations are very good but do not make sense. What you are claiming is that the Select Shift being listed as part of the bundled Sport Package can be omitted. I have never seen a bundled specified option package which allows one to omit one of the `fixed` features.

Drum brakes are standard equipment on the SE yes?

So can one keep the drums brakes if one checks the option box for the Sport Package which lists rear discs as part of the bundled Sport Package.

Nope. What we're saying is that SelectShift is standard with the Sport Package but only applies if you get the automatic transmission. You don't have a choice. If you get the manual tranny then you don't get SelectShift because it only works with the automatic. If you get the automatic then you get SelectShift.

Let's say it works the way we've been saying - the automatic is optional with the sport package. You can get either tranny. If you get the automatic tranny with the sport package you get SelectShift. If you don't get the automatic then you don't get SelecShift.

How would you depict that in the order guide?

I have a question on the wheel choice. What do I have to order to get the polished wheels and what size are they?

Somebody really missed the boat by not offering the Tuscany interior package with either the Oxford or Tri coat white. That color combo has been popular on GM cars forever.

I have a question on the wheel choice. What do I have to order to get the polished wheels and what size are they?

It looks like polished wheels are listed as 17-inch, and they'd be available as a standalone option on the SEL or Titanium models.

That being said, if you order a Titanium with the Titanium Handling Package, you won't be able to get the 17-inch polished wheels - you'd get the 18's.

It looks like polished wheels are listed as 17-inch, and they'd be available as a standalone option on the SEL or Titanium models.

That being said, if you order a Titanium with the Titanium Handling Package, you won't be able to get the 17-inch polished wheels - you'd get the 18's.

Select Shift feature requires ATX, not the entire Sport Package. I've read car brochures and for years and that is how it sounds to me. Reminds me of Pontiac GTO lists, where if buyers wanted an Automatic, it requred a TH400 version.

How about asking a Ford factory rep to clarify it? l highly doubt that package is ATX only. It would say 'Sport Pack requires ATX', or list that it in the package.

Edited by 630land

Something else interesting to note about the SE Sport Pkg is that the order guide shows that you can only get it with rapid specs 201A and 203A. What RS 200A and 202A are missing, and is apparently required for the sport pkg, is the convenience pkg. which includes the following 3 options: cruise control, map lights, and perimeter alarm. What's interesting to me about that is that those 3 items in the convenience pkg are all electronics and what is the one thing in the SE sport pkg that requires electronics to function? Yes, the SelectShift portion of the PowerShift auto tranny.

This may be a fantastic coincidence and is by no means a smoking gun for my, and some others, argument regarding the SE sport package's standard transmission. It is something to think about though. Mfrs like to bundle options that share common parts together in packages so there might be a connection here.

Something else interesting to note about the SE Sport Pkg is that the order guide shows that you can only get it with rapid specs 201A and 203A. What RS 200A and 202A are missing, and is apparently required for the sport pkg, is the convenience pkg. which includes the following 3 options: cruise control, map lights, and perimeter alarm. What's interesting to me about that is that those 3 items in the convenience pkg are all electronics and what is the one thing in the SE sport pkg that requires electronics to function? Yes, the SelectShift portion of the PowerShift auto tranny.

This may be a fantastic coincidence and is by no means a smoking gun for my, and some others, argument regarding the SE sport package's standard transmission. It is something to think about though. Mfrs like to bundle options that share common parts together in packages so there might be a connection here.

I hate to break this to you but SelectShift has nothing whatsoever to do with cruise control, map lights or the perimeter alarm. All it requires is the shifter hardware and 2 sensors to tell the computer when you want to shift up and down.

You're really reaching on this one. The easiest answer is usually the correct one.

I hate to break this to you but SelectShift has nothing whatsoever to do with cruise control, map lights or the perimeter alarm. All it requires is the shifter hardware and 2 sensors to tell the computer when you want to shift up and down.

You're really reaching on this one. The easiest answer is usually the correct one.

That's great Allen. Now maybe you can show me where I even said that they had anything "to do with each other" other than all of them being electronic in nature? I only suggested that Ford might bundle SelectShift with other electronics as they often do that when wiring harnesses are bundled together or for whatever reason. I"m not saying SS shares a harness with the convenience items but something in there made Ford offer the sport pkg only with the convenience pkg and it was food for thought.

I find it quite odd that you don't see how this could be interpreted another way. So far no one has been able to tell us why you would either get the SS for free when you order the sport pkg and auto tranny or pay for SS, and not really get it, if you can get the manual tranny with the sport pkg. They only list the pkg once and therefore it will only carry one price when they release those later. So how does that work then? Are manual tranny driver's paying for something they can't have or are auto tranny driver's getting something for free? I don't see how they can charge the same price for the pkg across the board when there is obviously one item included that only applies to one of the transmission offerings, assuming you can get either one in this case.

Seriously, this isn't about who is right or who is wrong. All we need is for someone to order one of these things officially and this will all be cleared up. You guys are most likely right, but how anyone can say the current order guide is clear on this matter is beyond me. Basing it on past order guides too? Which Ford order guide from the past or present gives us info on PowerShift, SelectShift, and manual transmission combinations and option structures? None.

I find it quite odd that you don't see how this could be interpreted another way. So far no one has been able to tell us why you would either get the SS for free when you order the sport pkg and auto tranny or pay for SS, and not really get it, if you can get the manual tranny with the sport pkg.

They only list the pkg once and therefore it will only carry one price when they release those later. So how does that work then? Are manual tranny driver's paying for something they can't have or are auto tranny driver's getting something for free? I don't see how they can charge the same price for the pkg across the board when there is obviously one item included that only applies to one of the transmission offerings, assuming you can get either one in this case.

And I don't understand why you're making it so complicated. SelectShift is included with the Sport package on Automatic equipped vehicles. It's not applicable to manuals. Don't forget that the automatic transmission is an added cost option so automatic equipped sport pkg models are already more expensive.

Here is the biggest clue. If the automatic was required by the sport package which is what you're implying then why wouldn't they just say that? Why not just say the sport package requires the automatic transmission - period? The fact that they don't say that and that they only put that caveat on the SelectShift option makes me 100% sure that the automatic (and selectshift) is optional on the sport package.

There is a precedent here. The 00 Lincoln LS came with both manuals and automatics and an optional sport package. If you had an automatic then you got selectshift with the sport package. If you had a manual you didn't get selectshift because it's simply not applicable.

And I don't understand why you're making it so complicated. SelectShift is included with the Sport package on Automatic equipped vehicles. It's not applicable to manuals. Don't forget that the automatic transmission is an added cost option so automatic equipped sport pkg models are already more expensive.

Here is the biggest clue. If the automatic was required by the sport package which is what you're implying then why wouldn't they just say that? Why not just say the sport package requires the automatic transmission - period? The fact that they don't say that and that they only put that caveat on the SelectShift option makes me 100% sure that the automatic (and selectshift) is optional on the sport package.

There is a precedent here. The 00 Lincoln LS came with both manuals and automatics and an optional sport package. If you had an automatic then you got selectshift with the sport package. If you had a manual you didn't get selectshift because it's simply not applicable.

Complicated? I'm not making it complicated but am rather pointing out what can be viewed one of two ways on the order guide and why that's possible. Yes the auto is more expensive to begin with but SS should still be an additional cost on top of that. Either that or Ford is charging everyone for that feature with the sport pkg regardless of what tranny they opt for and that's just not fair to those who want no parts of an auto trans.

We've been telling you all along how it does say, albeit in a roundabout way, that the auto is required with the sport pkg. If you simply construe that SS is included witht he sport pkg no matter what then you have to then read the footnote saying that the auto is required with SS then do the math. The footnote is worded in such a way that it can be read one of two ways. It doesn't say SS is only available with the optional 44W. That would be all to clear. Instead it either says you get SS in the sport pkg and the auto is required for SS or that the auto is required to get SS which comes with the sport pkg.

Again, you're probably right. I for one will be sure when I see an official build and price available which can truly answer my question.

I was wondering about the cost factor as well.

If the Sport Package price is $2500.00 for the listed features and "Select Shift" being one the features listed.

I ask my salesperson what is the price if I want manual tranny with the Sport Package.

Is it possible that the $2500.00 Sport Package is now only $1500.00 because now I do not have to pay for the optional Powershift required for the Select Shift feature.

Or does the Sport Package price increase over and above the listed $2500.00 if I want to keep the Select Shift because of the extra cost for the Powershift transmission.

I was wondering about the cost factor as well.

If the Sport Package price is $2500.00 for the listed features and "Select Shift" being one the features listed.

I ask my salesperson what is the price if I want manual tranny with the Sport Package.

Is it possible that the $2500.00 Sport Package is now only $1500.00 because now I do not have to pay for the optional Powershift required for the Select Shift feature.

Or does the Sport Package price increase over and above the listed $2500.00 if I want to keep the Select Shift because of the extra cost for the Powershift transmission.

From what I understand of U.S. pricing, that package is a bit less than either of your estimates, and I'm not aware of any difference in price for manual versus auto tranny.

Yes the auto is more expensive to begin with but SS should still be an additional cost on top of that. Either that or Ford is charging everyone for that feature with the sport pkg regardless of what tranny they opt for and that's just not fair to those who want no parts of an auto trans.

So this is all predicated on you thinking that SelectShift should be a separate cost item? Instead of manual buyers paying for something they're not getting, maybe the automatic buyers are simply getting SelectShift for free.

You're only talking about a couple of paddles and some software. It's not a big cost item.

From what I understand of U.S. pricing, that package is a bit less than either of your estimates, and I'm not aware of any difference in price for manual versus auto tranny.

Prices I used were just for example purposes just to make my point that there is always a difference in price for manual versus auto tranny equipped new cars.

So what you are saying is that the Sport Package pricing will include the extra cost for the optional Power Shift transmission.

I hope for those that prefer to row their own that the Sport Package is available with the manual tranny, it will make for a very fun driving Focus.

So this is all predicated on you thinking that SelectShift should be a separate cost item? Instead of manual buyers paying for something they're not getting, maybe the automatic buyers are simply getting SelectShift for free.

You're only talking about a couple of paddles and some software. It's not a big cost item.

Somewhat, yes. And maybe the auto buyers are getting something for free, which I've mentioned before, but I highly doubt that. Ford is not in the business of giving things they paid for away for free. My money is on the price of the hardware and software being rolled into the base price of the vehicle and everyone is paying for it whether they get it or not.

Sure they are low cost items but so are floor mats yet all mfrs still bend you over on the price for those.

Prices I used were just for example purposes just to make my point that there is always a difference in price for manual versus auto tranny equipped new cars.

So what you are saying is that the Sport Package pricing will include the extra cost for the optional Power Shift transmission.

I hope for those that prefer to row their own that the Sport Package is available with the manual tranny, it will make for a very fun driving Focus.

What I'm saying is that from what I can tell, you pick your SE, equip it with the tranny you want (paying extra for the auto if desired, and THEN you add the Sport Package price (with no difference in price for this particular option package regardless of tranny).

So the difference in total vehicle price of similarly equipped manual tranny Sport Package and auto tranny Sport Package cars is only the cost of the auto tranny (NO difference for not having SelectShift on the manual).

So, using your numbers (not the actual Ford pricing), let's assume that an SE is $20k (for nice round numbers), you seem to assume auto tranny is $1k, and sport package is $1.5k (regardless of manual or auto). Then the total auto price would be:

SE + auto + sport = $20k + $1k + $1.5k = $22.5k

while the manual would be the same without the tranny charge so:

SE + sport = $20k + $1.5k = $21.5k.

Hope that makes sense..