2011 Explorer Tires & Rims

I've been doing some research on the new tires and rims for the 2011 Explorer mainly to find out what kind of Low Roll Resistance (LRR) tires Ford will go with. News that Ford choose Goodyear’s Fortera HL 245/65R17 tires on the base model 2011 Explorer has been released but I've seen no News on the other size rims.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=245%2F&ratio=65&diameter=17&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&manufacturer=Goodyear&x=11&y=10

Weight of the tire is a big factor in LRR tires and these tires weigh 33 pounds each which is not bad. Here are the remainder of the size tires and rims.

Base 17-inch steel with wheel covers, P245/65R-17 BSW

XLT 18-inch painted aluminum, P245/60R-18 BSW

Limited 20-inch painted aluminum, P255/50R-20 BSW

XLT &

Limited 20-inch polished aluminum, P255/50R-20 BSW

If Ford chooses Goodyear on the 20" rims I'm looking at 36 pounds each for tires in that size. I'm hoping Ford will put the Michelin Tours on the the 20" rims which will reduce the weight of the tire to 34 pounds each. If anyone has the answers to what tires Ford will use on the other rims please post.

I've been doing some research on the new tires and rims for the 2011 Explorer mainly to find out what kind of Low Roll Resistance (LRR) tires Ford will go with. News that Ford choose Goodyear’s Fortera HL 245/65R17 tires on the base model 2011 Explorer has been released but I've seen no News on the other size rims.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=245%2F&ratio=65&diameter=17&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&manufacturer=Goodyear&x=11&y=10

Weight of the tire is a big factor in LRR tires and these tires weigh 33 pounds each which is not bad. Here are the remainder of the size tires and rims.

Base 17-inch steel with wheel covers, P245/65R-17 BSW

XLT 18-inch painted aluminum, P245/60R-18 BSW

Limited 20-inch painted aluminum, P255/50R-20 BSW

XLT &

Limited 20-inch polished aluminum, P255/50R-20 BSW

If Ford chooses Goodyear on the 20" rims I'm looking at 36 pounds each for tires in that size. I'm hoping Ford will put the Michelin Tours on the the 20" rims which will reduce the weight of the tire to 34 pounds each. If anyone has the answers to what tires Ford will use on the other rims please post.

I don't work for Ford, but I wouldn't be surprised if they stay with Pirelli's as that is what is currently on the Explorer and they have been putting them on other trucks as well.

I don't work for Ford, but I wouldn't be surprised if they stay with Pirelli's as that is what is currently on the Explorer and they have been putting them on other trucks as well.

I found a blown-up picture the dealer gave me and it looks like the 2011 Limited Explorer 20" rim has a Hankook's Optimo All-Season tire on it in the picture. I couldn't find the 255/50R-20 BSW size at Tirerack.com in the Optimo. I'm wondering if Ford has worked with Hankook to develop a special LRR tire like they've done with other tire manufactures.

• 2 months later...

I confirmed from my dealer's stock the 2011 Limited Explorer 20" rim has Hankook's Optimo tires. The temporary spare has access below the third row seats in the cargo area. I was hoping to replace the temporary spare with a new Limited 20" rim and new Optimo tire but the temporary spare compartment is to small. The stock unit had the optional polished rims but I like the stock Limited rims better myself.

I was hoping to replace the temporary spare with a new Limited 20" rim and new Optimo tire but the temporary spare compartment is to small.

Yeah well, not many vehicles these days that will afford you room for a fullsize/stylized spare. I don't have a spare at all in my Mustang anymore, so be happy you even have the space-saver. :lol:

Yeah well, not many vehicles these days that will afford you room for a fullsize/stylized spare. I don't have a spare at all in my Mustang anymore, so be happy you even have the space-saver. :lol:

It's not a deal breaker, I just like having a matching spare on my vehicles. My '02 Explorer came with a full size spare that does not match and I bought matching spares for both my FEH's that fit where the temporary goes. I tow my boat down to the Keys and Ford doesn't recommend using the temporary spare while towing. I put a full size spare tire and hub with packed bearings in my boat for my trailer when I go down to the Keys so I guess I can find room for a full spare for the 2011 Explorer in the boat also. I get parts at employee pricing at my local Ford dealer so I'll get another spare and keep it in the garage. Having a new matching spare allows me to only purchase one tire for the front when they go bad and keep the best as my spare thereafter. I choose not to rotate my front tires so I can monitor front end and alignment problems. The rear tires generally last much longer just staying on the rear with FWD. I went 70,000 miles on the original rear tires on my '05 FEH which still had plenty of rubber but just made to much noise.

• 4 weeks later...

The specs for the Explorer with the tow pag say they add Tire Mobility Kit. that normally means that they don't give you a spare, but rather only a spray tire sealant. Has anyone received a 2011 with the tow, and was there a spare?

The 2011 Explorer with the tow package I saw at my dealership had a temporary spare also.

• 2 weeks later...

Hankook Tire Co. (KSE:000240), South Korea's largest tire maker, said Thursday it has signed a contract with Ford Motor Co., the second-largest automaker in the U.S., to supply its premium Optimo H426 tires for Ford's all new Explorer sport utility vehicle.

This is the new 20" tire on the 20" rim for the Explorer!

Hankook Tire Co. (KSE:000240), South Korea's largest tire maker, said Thursday it has signed a contract with Ford Motor Co., the second-largest automaker in the U.S., to supply its premium Optimo H426 tires for Ford's all new Explorer sport utility vehicle.

This is the new 20" tire on the 20" rim for the Explorer!

I sure hope the new 20" tire performs better than their smaller car tires of the same line. I've read nothing but bad reviews of the H426 line of tires.

• 2 weeks later...

I sure hope the new 20" tire performs better than their smaller car tires of the same line. I've read nothing but bad reviews of the H426 line of tires.

The Hankook tires on the new 20" Explorer rims ride fantastic! I have the standard Limited rims and as a hardcore hypermiler the combination of these rims and tires are perfect to get the best MPG with. The tire has a 51psi Max sidewall rating but the ride is the smoothest I've seen in a vehicle. This vehicle handles the turns like a race car with these tires. We'll see how they wear but I love them so far.

The Hankook tires on the new 20" Explorer rims ride fantastic! I have the standard Limited rims and as a hardcore hypermiler the combination of these rims and tires are perfect to get the best MPG with. The tire has a 51psi Max sidewall rating but the ride is the smoothest I've seen in a vehicle. This vehicle handles the turns like a race car with these tires. We'll see how they wear but I love them so far.

What's your thoughts on filling the tires beyond OEM recommended PSI for better MPG?

What about 100% nitrogen fill?.......I know its better for keeping steady pressure in temperature extremes but what about for MPG?

I noticed the new Buick Allure (I think its called that) comes from factory with 100% Nitrogen filled tires.

What's your thoughts on filling the tires beyond OEM recommended PSI for better MPG?

What about 100% nitrogen fill?.......I know its better for keeping steady pressure in temperature extremes but what about for MPG?

I noticed the new Buick Allure (I think its called that) comes from factory with 100% Nitrogen filled tires.

No difference between nitrogen and air at proper PSI. You can go a few pounds above recommended PSI but do NOT go near the max pressure on the tire - that's asking for trouble and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If it was safe the tire mfrs wouldn't put a max pressure limit on it to begin with.

My thoughts on OEM recommended PSI are for ride not MPG, but that may be changing with the new Explorer. Ford went to my friend and fellow hypermiler Wayne Gerdes to promote the Ford Fusion Hybrid in an attempt to go 1,000 miles on a single tank of gas. Wayne showed Ford Engineers and race car driver Carl Edwards the techniques of hypermiling. Together, they drove the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid 1445 miles on a single tank of gas. Their average MPG was over 80mpg which more than doubled the EPA rating of the Ford Fusion Hybrid. Ford let Wayne drive the Ford Fusion Hybrid in more normal conditions and he went 1,005 miles on E10 averaging 62.1mpg.

There is a point when tire pressure no longer increases MPG and the ride begins to be not acceptable. Most of the problems comes from the suspension not being properly designed. The tires don't need to be a major factor of the ride due to low tire pressure because wear, handling and MPG suffer. Thanks to the new suspension in the new Ford Explorer, tire pressure can be maintained to provide wear, handling and MPG while providing a great ride. It is to early for me to tell what the best tire pressure will be in the 2011 Explorer, but I keep an open mind and go by results and safety and not general opinions.

Nitrogen may be better in racing applications where heat may be a factor but I see no need for it for improving MPG in everyday driving.

No difference between nitrogen and air at proper PSI. You can go a few pounds above recommended PSI but do NOT go near the max pressure on the tire - that's asking for trouble and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If it was safe the tire mfrs wouldn't put a max pressure limit on it to begin with.

I would think on this board above all others, there would be an understanding that sometimes the vehicle manufacturer might have a PSI recommendation that's isn't exactly safe. :(

I'm not advocating going up to or exceeding Sidewall Max PSI but I don't believe that the vehicle manufacturer PSI is based solely on safety. I'm sure there's a lot of consideration with respect to the ride quality/softness when that PSI is determined. On the other hand, the tire manufacturer doesn't have to worry about ride quality so much since the tire can go on many vehicles across many manufacturers, who may have different recommended PSI. At this point I'm betting the tire manufacturers main goal is to reduce their liability (both legal and social) by producing a tire that behaves in a consistent manor while at/below where they set the Sidewall Max PSI.

It should go without saying, but under-inflation is a MUCH bigger issue with tire/vehicle safety than over inflation will ever be. How many TPMS systems are you aware of that warn of over-inflation? I can tell you that as of 2008 Ford's didn't. It will tell you if you're under-inflated, though.

When I checked the tire pressure in my new Explorer they were all at around 42psi from the factory. The max sidewall on the Hankook tire is 51psi. The sticker inside the door still recommends 35psi. Now that I have a baseline to go by with my first tank - 382.9 miles with 18.48 gallons or 20.719mpg, I will jump the pressure 5psi and check the ride and MPG.

When I checked the tire pressure in my new Explorer they were all at around 42psi from the factory. The max sidewall on the Hankook tire is 51psi. The sticker inside the door still recommends 35psi. Now that I have a baseline to go by with my first tank - 382.9 miles with 18.48 gallons or 20.719mpg, I will jump the pressure 5psi and check the ride and MPG.

A very nice improvement in MPG today so I bumped the tire pressure to the Max Sidewall of 51psi. No change in ride as I expected with these 20" low profile tires. Today's average MPG ended up to be 28.3mpg according to my Scangauge and handling was excellent just like the ride. I love this new Explorer!

A very nice improvement in MPG today so I bumped the tire pressure to the Max Sidewall of 51psi. No change in ride as I expected with these 20" low profile tires. Today's average MPG ended up to be 28.3mpg according to my Scangauge and handling was excellent just like the ride. I love this new Explorer!

Then running 45psi should be ok then

I would think on this board above all others, there would be an understanding that sometimes the vehicle manufacturer might have a PSI recommendation that's isn't exactly safe. :(

I'm not advocating going up to or exceeding Sidewall Max PSI but I don't believe that the vehicle manufacturer PSI is based solely on safety. I'm sure there's a lot of consideration with respect to the ride quality/softness when that PSI is determined. On the other hand, the tire manufacturer doesn't have to worry about ride quality so much since the tire can go on many vehicles across many manufacturers, who may have different recommended PSI. At this point I'm betting the tire manufacturers main goal is to reduce their liability (both legal and social) by producing a tire that behaves in a consistent manor while at/below where they set the Sidewall Max PSI.

It should go without saying, but under-inflation is a MUCH bigger issue with tire/vehicle safety than over inflation will ever be. How many TPMS systems are you aware of that warn of over-inflation? I can tell you that as of 2008 Ford's didn't. It will tell you if you're under-inflated, though.

It's quite simple - the tire mfrs set the max pressure based on how the tire was manufactured and how it performs on a vehicle - with a safety factor built in. Exceeding the max pressure under the right circumstances could cause the tire to fail.

The auto mfrs must strike a balance between handling, ride quality, fuel economy and safety. Running OEM tires at OEM recommended pressures is always safe. Did Ford raise OEM pressures to give a bigger safety margin after the Firestone fiasco? Perhaps, but that still just compensates for poor maintenance.

The reason you don't see overinflation monitors is that tires don't overinflate by themselves, but they do underinflate on their own.

You can go a few pounds above recommended PSI but do NOT go near the max pressure on the tire - that's asking for trouble and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If it was safe the tire mfrs wouldn't put a max pressure limit on it to begin with.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "do NOT go near". If you have a max sidewall of 51PSI, is it safe to go up to 42PSI, in your opinion?

You state:

...the tire mfrs set the max pressure based on how the tire was manufactured and how it performs on a vehicle - with a safety factor built in.

If there is a safety factor built into the Max Sidewall PSI, isn't anywhere below 51PSI safer than the tire manufacturer is willing to be?

Running OEM tires at OEM recommended pressures is always safe.

Did Ford raise OEM pressures to give a bigger safety margin after the Firestone fiasco? Perhaps, but that still just compensates for poor maintenance.

Remember that the original recommended PSI in the Firestone/Explorer issue was 26PSI. Was it low tire pressure, poor tire performance at recommended vehicle manufacturer PSI, or hundreds of cases of poor maintenance? It doesn't matter, Ford recommended the PSI and supplied the tires. I seem to remember that other manufacturers were also using the Firestone tires with a higher recommended PSI and didn't have the problem.

So, it sounds like your ALWAYS and my ALWAYS aren't the same thing. There are most certainly times when safety isn't on the top of the list when vehicle manufacturers set the recommended PSI. I bet ride quality is most often the winning factor. Also, how do you explain GaryG's Explorer coming from the factory with 42PSI? Seems like if 35PSI was the safe/recommended inflation, Ford wouldn't risk delivering a less than safe new vehicle, would they?

Once again, I'm not advocating exceeding the Max Sidewall. I'm saying strict adherence to the manufacturer's recommended PSI is not necessarily the safest (or most efficient). Wouldn't it be better to say the manufacturer's door sticker PSI is the recommended minimum PSI and the tire manufacturer's Max Sidewall is the max PSI recommended? And, anywhere between is generally safe? Seems that's what the factory was saying with GaryG's 2011 Explorer at 42PSI. Interesting that 42 is really close to the middle of 35 and 51.

Edited by MyPart

I guess it depends on what you mean by "do NOT go near". If you have a max sidewall of 51PSI, is it safe to go up to 42PSI, in your opinion?

You state:

If there is a safety factor built into the Max Sidewall PSI, isn't anywhere below 51PSI safer than the tire manufacturer is willing to be?

Remember that the original recommended PSI in the Firestone/Explorer issue was 26PSI. Was it low tire pressure, poor tire performance at recommended vehicle manufacturer PSI, or hundreds of cases of poor maintenance? It doesn't matter, Ford recommended the PSI and supplied the tires. I seem to remember that other manufacturers were also using the Firestone tires with a higher recommended PSI and didn't have the problem.

So, it sounds like your ALWAYS and my ALWAYS aren't the same thing. There are most certainly times when safety isn't on the top of the list when vehicle manufacturers set the recommended PSI. I bet ride quality is most often the winning factor. Also, how do you explain GaryG's Explorer coming from the factory with 42PSI? Seems like if 35PSI was the safe/recommended inflation, Ford wouldn't risk delivering a less than safe new vehicle, would they?

Once again, I'm not advocating exceeding the Max Sidewall. I'm saying strict adherence to the manufacturer's recommended PSI is not necessarily the safest (or most efficient). Wouldn't it be better to say the manufacturer's door sticker PSI is the recommended minimum PSI and the tire manufacturer's Max Sidewall is the max PSI recommended? And, anywhere between is generally safe? Seems that's what the factory was saying with GaryG's 2011 Explorer at 42PSI. Interesting that 42 is really close to the middle of 35 and 51.

I don't think many people understand the Max sidewall rating. Have you ever seen what happens when the tires are inflated to the recommend pressure and you add a heavy load? They can balloon out and look as if there almost flat. The Max sidewall rating is so you can add pressure up to that Max rating to compensate for all that extra weight so that the tire will ride like it is normally designed to do. If you just allow the tire to continue to be driven in the balloon state, that would be unsafe taking corners or making hard emergency stops.

Your right, 42psi under a normal load will not hurt a tire that has a Max sidewall pressure of 51psi as well as a tire with 51psi under a normal load. Now if I exceed the maximum load of the tire and have 51psi in the tires, that would be unsafe. The 35psi sticker inside the door is just fine for the normal loading of the vehicle and you will have a very nice ride. I want more than a nice ride because I know I want better handling, better MPG, better wear and be ready for any other emergencies that would put a heavier load on my tires. To many serious accidents are caused when people hit objects and cause the tire to dismount under a heavy load and cause rollovers. Check out the tires and rims of all the vehicles involved in a bad accidents and you will see a large amount of them with flat tires. You don't hear much about the accident being caused by tire over inflation.

Under most circumstances, sure. But I wouldn't recommend running 50.

26 was just fine. The problem was when people didn't keep track of their pressures and they dropped to 20 or lower. 32 gives you a bigger safety margin.

Other vehicles had the same rollover rate statistically (Chevy Trailblazer e.g.) but there were so many more Explorers combined with the tire problems made them bigger targets.

how do you explain GaryG's Explorer coming from the factory with 42PSI?

They pump up the tires for shipment to prevent flatspotting. The dealer is supposed to correct it. Sometimes they don't.

I'm not saying 42 is unsafe. I just said not to exceed the max psi rating on the sidewall because that's what the tire manufacturer says is safe.

Again, that's how they're all shipped to avoid flatspotting. 42 should be fine if that's what you want to run. But I wouldn't go up to 50. The hypermilers think it's ok to run 50 or 75 and don't believe the tire manufacturers max psi ratings - or they think they're just being overcautious.

I've tried running 40 psi and it's way too hard for me, so i don't see any reason to go more than a few lbs over recommended. And I don't understand anyone who wants to tempt fate by running at or above max psi just to squeeze out a few more tenths of a mpg.