Is 2011 Explorer REALLY just a Freestyle?

They're all just reworked Pintos!

They all have 4 wheels, and engine in the front, and a steering wheel with a blue oval in the middle!

and for me when I saw a Range Rover on the street, I asked myself if that was a 2011 Explorer. I also saw a Freestyle or Taurus X in the last couple of days and I don't see the new Explorer looking anything like those.

But you know what you should do. Find someone who has a Freestyle and a Taurus X and when the dealership gets a 2011 Explorer on their lot and put the Explorer in the middle and look at the differences. I think it we will see the difference between the vehicles. It would also be neat to put pictures of it on here.

But you know what you should do. Find someone who has a Freestyle and a Taurus X and when the dealership gets a 2011 Explorer on their lot and put the Explorer in the middle and look at the differences. I think it we will see the difference between the vehicles. It would also be neat to put pictures of it on here.

The suspensions are very, very similar, and much of the underlying structure has been carried over, but that's basically it.

The big difference to me is the Explorer's capability over the other models. In fact, I looked at the other model's capabilities when needing a tow vehicle and I came up with a big no way. I really don't want to tow anything over 5,000 pounds and I need the 7 seats for my family vacations in the Keys. I also think the EDGE and the Freestyle stand little chance in the future and Ford has said reinventing will be cut back in the next few years. The Explorer name is building like the Mustang name and I've own both of them over and over. I think my wife and I have owned 13 Mustangs and this 2011 Explorer will be my 5th Explorer. The Edge and the Freestyle just don't excite me.

I hope you ave 2 small kids ! There is less 3rd row seating area than the 2010 Explorer.

My Gran kids ages 3 and 1 1/2 live with me now and my Son has a real small Asian girlfriend. I have the third row seat in my '02 Explorer and use it all the time. The problem with the '02 rear seat is it's not a split seat. In the 2011, you can leave either third row seat down and one up for more cargo when there is 6 people to carry. Six people live in my home now and it's nice to take everyone to dinner or shopping in one car. One of my Sons lives and works in Manhattan with his girlfriend but fly down about 5 times a year and go diving and boating either here or down in the Keys. I thought the family would get smaller as the kids grew up and I wouldn't need a boat or an Explorer but now I see the need is not going away anytime soon.

I see. I hope your new Excursion treats you well.

I didn't mean I hope they go to the grave at all. I've recently read a lot of articles on the Edge and Flex and the problems dealers were having with Ford buyers going to other automakers. I think Ford gave it their all with the new 2011 Explorer and they hope to change losing past Ford owners to other automakers. Ford did great last month with sales up 19% for October and I think that's because of the improvements in the 2011 Edge.

"Ford’s new midsize crossovers, the 2011 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX, are off to a strong start and capturing a larger share of their respective midsize crossover markets. These products are the first Ford models to offer MyFordTouch and MyLincolnTouch – state-of-the-art technology to better connect drivers with their vehicle information, entertainment and on-board technologies.

The new Ford Edge also features best-in-class horsepower and unsurpassed V6 highway fuel economy. The new Lincoln MKX offers best-in-class fuel economy and 305 horsepower – an increase of 40 hp versus the prior model.

Utilities were paced by the Edge, up 24 percent, and Escape, up 17 percent."

All I'm saying is the 2011 Explorer comeback may take the wind out of sails for the Edge and other crossover buyers of other automakers. The 2011 Explorer has some wonderful styling as did my '05 FEH, but Ford went to the boxy body in my '09 FEH with little side styling like so many other manufactures did. Now, all the crossovers are all looking the same so fuel economy alone won't do it for buyers. Ford knows that people want styling, capability, fuel economy and state of the art options like safety and entertainment that's easy to use.

Edited by GaryG

All I'm saying is the 2011 Explorer comeback may take the wind out of sails for the Edge and other crossover buyers of other automakers.

It'll certainly overlap some with the Edge, but that's okay. As long as it brings a net gain to showroom traffic, I think all of the vehicles will benefit. Unless you really need a third row of seats, I don't think too many people who were interested in the Edge are going to switch over to Explorer. I'm likely buying an Edge. I'm not really at all interested in the Explorer -- it's just more size than I need.

I thought you had Escapes!

I was teasing re: the Excursion (shoulda used a smiley).

I waited to see the Explorer before buying our Flex. I'm not a fan of the new styling direction shown in the Focus and Explorer but hope they do well.

I use to love my '05 FEH because of the mileage it got and the space available with the rear seats folded down. The 2.3L Atkinson engine is just too under powered with E10 which is mandated in Florida. The '09 FEH has a 2.5L Atkinson engine and it handles E10 just fine and I have enough power that I need. My '02 Explorer has became more and more valuable to drive with the increase of my grand kids living with us. I looked at the Flex as a replacement of my Explorer and it has everything I need except tow capacity. The Flex and the 2011 Explorer have a lot in common and Ford even took the Flex 3rd row folding seat idea for the new Explorer.

As far as styling, I think Ford is improving with the Focus and the Explorer and even the Taurus. In fact, I'm looking at the new Focus and Taurus as a replacement for my '05 FEH. The only thing I don't like is having to climb out of a low vehicle like my daughters '07 Civic. At any rate, Ford is expanding my choices with these new efficient engines and transmissions. I can get 60mpg out of my '09 FEH and I don't think I will replace that any time soon, but E10 has ruin the mileage and power in the '05 FEH. Most of the newer engines Ford is making now can handle E85 so E10 should not be a problem.