How I think Ford should replace the Ranger

atvman

It's been a while since I've posted and I'll try to keep my post short and keep my ignorance to a minimum. The Ranger topic just keeps me thinking, is the Super Duty line still needed? I know the F-150 uses a boxed frame, F250+ uses C-channel frame, I think. The C channel is important for different configurations a contractor might need, right? The F-150 has grown in size and is, as I've read on BON, has the same capabilities the F-250s had not too long ago. Is it possible to have two different frames but use all the sheet metal, interior components, etc the F-150 uses and use the same dimensions of the current F-150 and just, depending on the frame label it F-150, 250, 350? The reason I ask is if it were possible to combine the the best of both into one truck, then I could see Ford building a replacement for the Ranger, call it F-100 and still have those numbers needed to keep the sales crown and reputation for building great trucks. Would that open up room to have a smaller truck without stealing sales? I haven't compared dimensions yet, but it looks like the F-150 SCrew is bigger/longer than a 250 SCrew. Just some thoughts on the issue. Personally, would love to see a replacement Ranger/F-100. I still miss my '88 Ranger, thing ran like a champ, but the "new" '97 F-150s just looked too good. Anyway, hope my post makes sense. Please be kind if my thinking is way off. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest liquidleaf

Hm - I think many 250/350 owners like the fact that the body style is different than the 150. The newer 150 designs incorporate some of the beefier styles and cues of the older 250 platform (like the stepped-down front windows). I think the SuperDuty 'fan' base is stronger than the Ranger base... with more $ to spend.

Hm - I think many 250/350 owners like the fact that the body style is different than the 150. The newer 150 designs incorporate some of the beefier styles and cues of the older 250 platform (like the stepped-down front windows). I think the SuperDuty 'fan' base is stronger than the Ranger base... with more $ to spend.

The new electric power steering on the F150 can not support the front end loading of a plow. Which is exactly why there isn't a plow prep package available on the new F150.

In some ways the T6 is built heavier than the F150. The T6 can support a 3000lb bed load. Obviously the bearings, nor the axles are not the weak point!

Seriously though, I could see the T6 pulling 10-15% of the F150 buyers away from it. But I also see more satisfied customers and more truck sales overall. I also see an easier way to keep Fords CAFE rating higher. Personally I would buy a 3.7 liter T6. I beat my 2001 Ranger fairly hard and it still runs well at over 130k.

Seriously though, I could see the T6 pulling 10-15% of the F150 buyers away from it. But I also see more satisfied customers and more truck sales overall. I also see an easier way to keep Fords CAFE rating higher.

Which is exactly why I don't think Ford would walk away from it permanently.

It's funny you think that the windows are "stepped down" when actually, the rear portion is really raised up.

• 3 weeks later...

Over-sized 4/5 cylinder common rail diesel.

The single F-150 cab (not the "extra").

F-150 chassis lightened and stiffened for lower load capacity keeping the 4WD and RWD driveline

6.5 foot bed only

Basic interior appointments with a fixed mix & match option list

Either do something along these lines or import something to badge engineer GM style.

I dunnknow nuthin.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Glad to see that Ford is making some tough choices in order to streamline the company. Trimming their lineup to only their most profitable models and reducing product cannibalism is just good business, but is a hard choice for a previously large company to make. Right sizing is the only way for private industry to work well and will again lead Ford back to prominence.

Thanks,

Illinois Lemon Law

• 2 weeks later...