rwhp of 06' f-150 5.4L supercab

rider56AK

It's not false advertising. The flywheel horsepower is standard procedure for all manufactures. I believe the horsepower is figured this way in small engines all the way to automotive.

its misleading. alot of people believe thats the actual horsepower and torque. i hate trying to explain to people that when you put an 8,000 pound truck in btween the engine, youre going to lose a bit of power. they just dont get it

its misleading. alot of people believe thats the actual horsepower and torque. i hate trying to explain to people that when you put an 8,000 pound truck in btween the engine, youre going to lose a bit of power. they just dont get it

Um...that IS the ACTUAL hp and torque produced by the engine.

To do it like you suggest would require different hp ratings for each transmission/rear axle/wheel and tire combination.

Since EVERY vehicle loses power parasitically between the engine and the rear wheels at roughly the same percentages it's a non-issue.

Not to mention, it is done the same for ALL manufacturers, so it's an apples to apples comparison when comparing numbers between different makes.

ok so say you go to a car lot and you look at a 6.7 f-250 single cab and a 6.7 f-350 crew cab. ford is going to post the same numbers based on the engine size but you know for a fact that the truck its self is not going put down the same power as its big brother. so why would you even want to waste your time looking at the numbers that the engine itself makes. if i bought a new truck i want to know the hp and torque that particular model makes. shit, even the leather heated seats could play a weight factor in the dyno testing.

ok so say you go to a car lot and you look at a 6.7 f-250 single cab and a 6.7 f-350 crew cab. ford is going to post the same numbers based on the engine size but you know for a fact that the truck its self is not going put down the same power as its big brother. so why would you even want to waste your time looking at the numbers that the engine itself makes. if i bought a new truck i want to know the hp and torque that particular model makes. shit, even the leather heated seats could play a weight factor in the dyno testing.

Simple. If you need (or want) the F250 single cab, buy it. If you need (or want) the F350 crew cab, buy that. Who cares how much power each puts to the ground, they both start with the same engine...buy what suits your needs (or wants)!

The total power the truck makes has nothing to do with how much it weighs or the number of options the truck has. The power to the ground on those two trucks should be very close (within tolerances of the ratings across the powertrain), unless the crew cab is a long bed, in which case there may be slightly more parasitic loss due to the longer drive shaft (what, 0.5 - 1HP diff maybe).

Honestly, I have no idea WTH you are concerned about.

if i bought a new truck i want to know the hp and torque that particular model makes. shit, even the leather heated seats could play a weight factor in the dyno testing.

That proves you don't have a clue. Weight doesn't factor into chassis dyno testing. Neither does aerodynamics since the truck isn't actually moving.

If you're worried about which one is faster then look up the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as tested on the track because a dyno chassis won't give you accurate numbers either.

That proves you don't have a clue. Weight doesn't factor into chassis dyno testing. Neither does aerodynamics since the truck isn't actually moving.

If you're worried about which one is faster then look up the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as tested on the track because a dyno chassis won't give you accurate numbers either.

how would weight not matter?

Simple. If you need (or want) the F250 single cab, buy it. If you need (or want) the F350 crew cab, buy that. Who cares how much power each puts to the ground, they both start with the same engine...buy what suits your needs (or wants)!

The total power the truck makes has nothing to do with how much it weighs or the number of options the truck has. The power to the ground on those two trucks should be very close (within tolerances of the ratings across the powertrain), unless the crew cab is a long bed, in which case there may be slightly more parasitic loss due to the longer drive shaft (what, 0.5 - 1HP diff maybe).

Honestly, I have no idea WTH you are concerned about.

okay. i just want to know what my f-150 makes at the rear wheels. thats how this convo got started!! BUT what im pissed about is that if i went to go buy a new car, all they would tell me is how strong the engine itself is, not the car. i could really care less what the ENGINE BY ITSELF WOULD MAKE...when was the last time you used your car's engine when it wasnt in your car....ill wait.... see never..i want to know how strong the vehicle as a whole is, not with parts missing. maybe its just me thats concerned about this but whatever..

Take one truck, put it on a dyno. You get x HP.

Take same truck, add 4k lbs to the bed (big truck here) put it on a dyno. You get x HP. x = x.

Actually, a test a while back, pickuptrucks.com added 1200 (I think) lbs. to the bed of a Super Duty to keep it planted on the dyno to keep it from spinning it's tires! Weight has no effect on the HP a vehicle makes, nor the amount of HP that vehicle puts to the ground. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

okay. i just want to know what my f-150 makes at the rear wheels. thats how this convo got started!! BUT what im pissed about is that if i went to go buy a new car, all they would tell me is how strong the engine itself is, not the car. i could really care less what the ENGINE BY ITSELF WOULD MAKE...when was the last time you used your car's engine when it wasnt in your car....ill wait.... see never..i want to know how strong the vehicle as a whole is, not with parts missing. maybe its just me thats concerned about this but whatever..

That's called the tow rating. Takes the entire car/truck into the equation.

You want to know how much HP a vehicle makes at the wheels? Take about 15-20% off the stated engine numbers and you will be close.

That's called the tow rating. Takes the entire car/truck into the equation.

You want to know how much HP a vehicle makes at the wheels? Take about 15-20% off the stated engine numbers and you will be close.

ok, so a 1995-2000(?) vortec 5.7 makes 260hp and over 300 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels. and if you take my 2006 5.4's 300 flywheel hp and subtract 15% that would be at 255....thats horrible considering the chevy is 10 years older. ford needs to step their game up

Flywheel horsepower is horsepower measured at the flywheel on an engine dyno. Wheel horsepower (whether front, rear or all) is horsepower measured at the wheel on a chassis dyno. Engines lose power through the transmission, rear end, etc. The weight of the vehicle has no bearing on flywheel horsepower or wheel horsepower.

ok, so a 1995-2000(?) vortec 5.7 makes 260hp and over 300 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels. and if you take my 2006 5.4's 300 flywheel hp and subtract 15% that would be at 255....thats horrible considering the chevy is 10 years older. ford needs to step their game up

Who says all 1995-2000 Vortec 5.7's make 260hp at the rear wheels?

No, those 5.7 numbers are at the crank, just like Ford's 300. Again, ALL manufacturers post numbers at the engine! :banghead:

From Wiki

The Vortec 5700 L31 is a V8 truck engine. Displacement is 5.7 L. It is the last production Generation I small-block from Chevrolet. The cylinder heads feature combustion chambers very similar to those of the LT1 V8, but without the reverse-flow cooling. As such, the L31 head is compatible with all older small-blocks, and is a very popular upgrade. It offers the performance of more expensive heads, at a much lower cost. It does, however, require a specific intake manifold (a Vortec head has four bolts attaching the intake manifold as opposed to the traditional six bolts per head). The L31 was replaced by the 5.3 L 5300 LM7. The 2002 model year was the final year for the L31 5.7 L small block V-8 whose origins date back to 1955. The Vortec 5700 produces 255 hp (191 kW) to 350 hp (261 kW) at 4600 rpm and 330 ft-lbf (448 N·m) to 350 ft-lbf (475 N·m) of torque at 2800 rpm. It is currently being produced as a crate engine for marine applications and automotive hobbyists as the "ramjet 350" with minor modifications.

L31 applications:

1996–2003 Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana full-size vans

1996–1999 Chevrolet/GMC C/K full-size trucks

1996–1999 Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Suburban full-size long-wheelbase SUVs

1996–1999 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon (and 2000 Tahoe Limited) full-size short-wheelbase SUVs

1999–2000 Cadillac Escalade

TBI L31 applications

1996 G-Series vans over 8,500 lb (3,856 kg) GVW w/ 4L80E transmission

Special applications

Oscar Mayer Wienermobile

Isuzu Box Trucks

Where does it say "rear wheel"??!?