11 Explorer Trailer Tow Package

I was interested in hearing opinions on whether or not its a good idea to order the Trailor Tow package even if I probably wont ever tow anything.

Just the idea of having the engine oil cooler and the bigger 26mm radiator seems to be a good deal for the $500 package cost.

Thoughts?

I was interested in hearing opinions on whether or not its a good idea to order the Trailor Tow package even if I probably wont ever tow anything.

Just the idea of having the engine oil cooler and the bigger 26mm radiator seems to be a good deal for the $500 package cost.

Thoughts?

I would, you never know what may happen in the future.. Always better to have it then to not and have to go aftermarket. I love how it is tied in with the rear cover so you don't see it until needed. Nice clean look.

Downside..... I can't believe it only has a 2,000lb tow rating with the limited 20's. I'll contradict myself and say.. what's the point?? lol. It's good for an aluminum trailer with 2 snowmobiles and that's it. Regardless, for me, it's a must. Whether it be borrowing a trailer to bring my riding lawn mower into service or bringing my snow blower to the dealer etc.. I'll always find use for it.

Just my $0.02

I would, you never know what may happen in the future.. Always better to have it then to not and have to go aftermarket. I love how it is tied in with the rear cover so you don't see it until needed. Nice clean look.

Downside..... I can't believe it only has a 2,000lb tow rating with the limited 20's. I'll contradict myself and say.. what's the point?? lol. It's good for an aluminum trailer with 2 snowmobiles and that's it. Regardless, for me, it's a must. Whether it be borrowing a trailer to bring my riding lawn mower into service or bringing my snow blower to the dealer etc.. I'll always find use for it.

My understanding is that the 3.5L Explorer Limited with the Tow Package is rated at 5,000 pounds tow capacity. Without the factory tow package, the aftermarket hitches are only good for 2,000 pounds on the 2011 Explorer.

The Tow Package IMO is a must for me buying an SUV except for the FEH. There is not much of a bumper on the back of my '02 Explorer so the hitch prevented a lot of damage twice after being rear ended. The factory hitch part alone was about $700 on my '02 Explorer, so $500 for the Tow Package is a good deal. It's also great to have for resale.

When I was at the dealer, he pulled out the ordering guide and from what I could make of it, 20's got you 2,000lb towing. It didn't/doesn't make sense to me.. I thought it was 5,000lbs as well. Makes more sense that with tow package, it's 5,000lbs. I'm looking at the brochure now and it says "with optional class III trailer tow package, also helps explorer tow up to 5,000lbs"

My apologies, I must have misunderstood the order guide with all the charts and grids etc.

I would get it, even if I never planned to tow a trailer. Having a 2" receiver can come in handy if you want to use it for accessories like a bike carrier, cargo carrier, tailgating stuff, etc. (do a Google search on "trailer hitch receiver accessories" to see what I'm talking about) Also, it's a good value for what you get. And third, it would help on the resale. If I was a dealer, there's no way I would order one for stock WITHOUT the trailer tow package.

I would get it, even if I never planned to tow a trailer. Having a 2" receiver can come in handy if you want to use it for accessories like a bike carrier, cargo carrier, tailgating stuff, etc. (do a Google search on "trailer hitch receiver accessories" to see what I'm talking about) Also, it's a good value for what you get. And third, it would help on the resale. If I was a dealer, there's no way I would order one for stock WITHOUT the trailer tow package.

X2 I agree

If the Trailer Tow Package has a 26mm radiator and oil cooler as per the brochure, what does the non TTP have?

Does the non TTP Limited have anything more then the base or XLT?

I ask because I notice when you choose the Limited the alternator gets bumped up to a heavy duty 200AMP version and the battery CCA is higher as well.

If the Trailer Tow Package has a 26mm radiator and oil cooler as per the brochure, what does the non TTP have?

Does the non TTP Limited have anything more then the base or XLT?

I ask because I notice when you choose the Limited the alternator gets bumped up to a heavy duty 200AMP version and the battery CCA is higher as well.

The way I read the order guide, all models get the oil cooler with the tow package. If you don't order the TTP, all models do not get the oil cooler. The Base and XLT come with the 175AMP alternator and the Limited comes standard with the 200AMP alternator and 72 CCA battery. So yes, the non TTP Limited comes with a bigger alternator and battery than the Base and XLT models regardless of the TTP.

The way I read the order guide, all models get the oil cooler with the tow package. If you don't order the TTP, all models do not get the oil cooler. The Base and XLT come with the 175AMP alternator and the Limited comes standard with the 200AMP alternator and 72 CCA battery. So yes, the non TTP Limited comes with a bigger alternator and battery than the Base and XLT models regardless of the TTP.

What about the radiator? Bigger on the model with TTP or same as rest?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The fine print on the tow capacity notes that anything in the car over a 150 pound driver must be sutracted from the 5000 pounds.

Wow- I had not checked into the details of the towing very closely. It is difficult to find actual numbers on vehicle weight (Ford doesn't list curb weight on the Explorer web page) but here is what I was able to find thanks to Google:

Engine Total weight Trailer weight Note: Total weight includes passengers, luggage, etc.

3.5L TiVCT V6 FWD 9920 5000

3.5L TiVCT V6 4WD 10096 5000

For a 2011 Explorer Limited with 302a package, (no mention of towing package) the vehicle curb weight is 4872 pounds. I imagine the towing package adds at least another 50 pounds, maybe even 100 pounds, to the vehicle weight. In that case, the GVW (curb weight) is 4872 + 75 = 4947 pounds.

10096 - 4947 = 149 pounds for the driver. Right in line with the fine print.

Thoughts?

When we were ordering our explorer, we opted for the tow package so we have the option to tow in the future, you never know!! Plus you get the engine oil cooler and at a cost of $500, we felt it was a definate option to get!!! Like someone else said, it will also help with resale value!!

If i'm not mistaken, the limited has a 110V outlet. Might be the reason for the pumped up alt+batterie.

As far as the TTP, i say go for it. It's a good price and handy as hell. Might not need it for a trailer...maby a bicycle rack then.

• 2 weeks later...

To access the hitch and wiring plugs (separate standard 4 pin plug and larger plug), there are two spring snaps that you twist with your fingers to unlock and four slide out tabs that hold the top of the cover in place. Once you see how the cover is installed, you can remove it and install it standing up without lying on your back.

The 2011 FWD Explorer V6 has plenty of power to tow my 3,500 pound boat and I had no problems getting in and out of the wet boat ramp without spinning the tires. The back-up camera zooms into the receiver nicely for hooking up to the trailer. Does anyone know if the back-up sensor noise can be turned off while in reverse towing? With my boat trailer hooked up, I can still raise the cargo door with plenty of clearance.

I have a John Deere 2520 Loader/Backhoe that weights about 3500 lbs, if I get an Aluma 18" trailer that weights 1100 lbs I would have a combined weight of 4600 lbs. Technically the Explorer would be able to haul this but not much else including passengers in the vehicle. If I get the trailer it would be for occasional use, do you think that the Explorer is practical at this load or should I consider an F-150. I do like the 7 seat option and I don't really want the poor fuel economy that would come with an Expedition.