5.0 L - What is the TRUTH???????

xtrer

Can someone please just give us a little more information - the truth would be great! I am waiting for my 2011 F150 Crew Cab 4x4 - and I am thinking about pulling out - cancelling.

What is the issue with the F150's - is it the eco-boost that has shut down the plant, is it the 5.0 or is it both. Is the problem with parts or QUALITY? If you do a little digging in other forums - you will also come across this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/damagedone37/OldPics/0121010958.jpg

To me this tells me they have major issues with the production of the 5.0! I have always owned Ford, but have they dropped the ball?

Am I going to regret buying this truck?

Please share.

Can someone please just give us a little more information - the truth would be great! I am waiting for my 2011 F150 Crew Cab 4x4 - and I am thinking about pulling out - cancelling.

What is the issue with the F150's - is it the eco-boost that has shut down the plant, is it the 5.0 or is it both. Is the problem with parts or QUALITY? If you do a little digging in other forums - you will also come across this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/damagedone37/OldPics/0121010958.jpg

To me this tells me they have major issues with the production of the 5.0! I have always owned Ford, but have they dropped the ball?

Am I going to regret buying this truck?

Please share.

From my understanding, it is just a parts shortage/scheduling issues. It's not a quality issue, but a supplier issue getting enough parts.

Wow. Way to blow a picture, from an area of the board that you are technically not supposed to be reading, out of proportion.

The issue is production, not quality. Something about the engine plant not having enough crankshafts on hand to support the full week, so instead of short shifting every day, they shut DTP down to let the engine plant catch back up. That is why KCAP is still running.

If you're getting sqeamish, go buy a Dodge. That way, you can talk to the people at the dealership every week while its being fixed, and stop relying on rumors.

Edited by Pioneer
  • Like 1

Wow. Way to blow a picture, from an area of the board that you are technically not supposed to be reading, out of proportion.

The issue is production, not quality. Something about the engine plant not having enough crankshafts on hand to support the full week, so instead of short shifting every day, they shut DTP down to let the engine plant catch back up. That is why KCAP is still running.

If you're getting sqeamish, go buy a Dodge. That way, you can talk to the people at the dealership every week while its being fixed, and stop relying on rumors.

Thanks for the information. BUT let me make one thing clear. I did NOT blow something out of porportion, as per the picture - it is a link - technically everyone reads every forum - but NOT EVERYONE is to comment or post on certain forums. That is why I posted the question on this page.

Second - the only trucks I have owned are Fords - it's MY MONEY - and it's a fair chunk of change when you are buying a new truck, therefore one has the right to ask questions and be educated and express thier CONCERNS! It's not as if nobody has ever lied to the customer before for fears of loosing sales - ya right - it happens every day (and no I am not talking about Ford specifically - it's all manufacturers, and if you don't agree with this point, then Wow ....)

If I am getting sqeamish - I certainly will not buy a Dodge, I may look for a 2009 or 2010 Ford, and wait another year for the 5.0.

Thank you for the information you provided about the crankshafts. This information is GREATLY appreciated.

• Like 2

Pioneer,

The problem is there are 2 stories floating around as to why the plant shut down. The memo linked above is linked to many truck forums read by thousands of people. The next day the Detroit news published the article with quotes from Ford stating the shutdown was due to parts for the 3.7 and 3.5 V6 engines with no mention of the 5.0 issues. With so many truck forums linked to both stories, it is causing a LOT of speculation. Now with the word that the storage lots are filling, and people complaining on the many forums that few new trucks are arriving to the dealers, it sure sounds like a quality hold. If the delays are due to several issues and poor managing of the product work flow, that would be fine. A quality hold would be fine too. The problem is there are too many partial stories floating around leading to speculation by antsy buyers who are all jacked up waiting for these trucks to finally hit the dealers lots. That's says the Ford marketing has done it's job. I hope the supply catches up with the demand pretty soon.

-Thanks for building a qulaity product and keep up the good work.

Just for the record, I have a 2011 f-150 platinum with the 5 liter 4x4 with the 373 and it runs like a top. I'm getting almost 19.5 mpg in the city, great power, great tow capacity and zero problems. Early order date of October...

Way worth the wait...

Thanks,

Greg

Not trying to hijack the thread - but

I am thinking of buying a F150 for towing purposes. What is exactly the difference between the "tow package" and the "max tow package"? The salesman said that it was gearing in the rear end. But I am thinking there could be additional "cooling" or something with the "max tow". I am thinking about the 5L motor. The towing weight will probably be 6 or 7,000 pounds at 29 or 30 feet travel trailer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Just for the record, I have a 2011 f-150 platinum with the 5 liter 4x4 with the 373 and it runs like a top. I'm getting almost 19.5 mpg in the city, great power, great tow capacity and zero problems. Early order date of October...

Way worth the wait...

Thanks,

Greg

Greg - thanks for your feedback - can't wait until it comes in. The wait is tooooooo long.

I am thinking of buying a F150 for towing purposes. What is exactly the difference between the "tow package" and the "max tow package"? The salesman said that it was gearing in the rear end. But I am thinking there could be additional "cooling" or something with the "max tow". I am thinking about the 5L motor. The towing weight will probably be 6 or 7,000 pounds at 29 or 30 feet travel trailer.

Thanks!

I may be wrong, but from what i understand, the "max tow package" is only available with the Ecoboost engine - don't understand why - or what else it involves. However, the 5.0 L should be plenty for your needs.

I may be wrong, but from what i understand, the "max tow package" is only available with the Ecoboost engine - don't understand why - or what else it involves. However, the 5.0 L should be plenty for your needs.

Looks like it includes upgraded rear bumper and trailer brake controller.

You get the hitch, wiring, upgraded radiator and auxilliary tranny cooling with the regular tow package.

From the Job 1 Order Guide:

Trailer Tow Package (535)

Availability:

• Standard on FX2/FX4 and Lariat

• Optional on XL, STX and XLT

Includes:

• Class IV trailer hitch receiver

• 7-pin wiring harness

• Upgraded radiator

• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler

• SelectShift Transmission

Max Trailer Tow Package - Power Mirror (60P)

Not Available with:

• 126" wheelbase

• Max Trailer Tow Package (60M)

• XLT SuperCab 145" wheelbase with P235/75R17 BSW A/T (T7B), L245/75R17E BSW A/T (T7E) or P255/65R17 OWL A/S (T73)

• XLT SuperCrew with P255/65R17 OWL A/S (T73) or L245/75R17E BSW A/T (T7E)

Requires:

3.5L EcoBoost™ Engine (99T)

• 3.73 LS rear-axle ratio (XL, XLT and FX2)

• 3.73 electronic-locking differential axle (XLT w/Off-Road Pkg. – 55A and FX4)

• XL requires Fog Lamps (595), XL Décor Group (86D) and Power Equipment Group (85A)

• XL and XLT Regular Cab requires Heavy-Duty Payload Pkg. (627)

Includes:

• Upgraded rear bumper

• 7-pin wiring harness

• Upgraded radiator

• Trailer Brake Control

• Side Mirrors, black manual telescoping trailer tow w/power glass (includes heat, turn signal & puddle lamps)

• Memory feature included on side mirrors when order with FX Luxury Package (55F)

Edited by bb37

From the Job 1 Order Guide:

Trailer Tow Package (535)

Availability:

• Standard on FX2/FX4 and Lariat

• Optional on XL, STX and XLT

Includes:

• 7-pin wiring harness

• Upgraded radiator

Max Trailer Tow Package - Power Mirror (60P)

Not Available with:

• 126" wheelbase

• Max Trailer Tow Package (60M)

• XLT SuperCab 145" wheelbase with P235/75R17 BSW A/T (T7B), L245/75R17E BSW A/T (T7E) or P255/65R17 OWL A/S (T73)

• XLT SuperCrew with P255/65R17 OWL A/S (T73) or L245/75R17E BSW A/T (T7E)

Requires:

3.5L EcoBoost™ Engine (99T)

• 3.73 LS rear-axle ratio (XL, XLT and FX2)

• 3.73 electronic-locking differential axle (XLT w/Off-Road Pkg. – 55A and FX4)

• XL requires Fog Lamps (595), XL Décor Group (86D) and Power Equipment Group (85A)

• XL and XLT Regular Cab requires Heavy-Duty Payload Pkg. (627)

Includes:

• Upgraded rear bumper

• 7-pin wiring harness

• Upgraded radiator

• Trailer Brake Control

• Side Mirrors, black manual telescoping trailer tow w/power glass (includes heat, turn signal & puddle lamps)

• Memory feature included on side mirrors when order with FX Luxury Package (55F)

Thanks!

Thanks!

You could use the extra payload of the Max Tow Package to tow that weight. Max Tow is almost a must I think unless you don't plan on having any passengers or putting anything in the bed. You'll also get the 3.73 gears in the non-FX4 trucks.

You could use the extra payload of the Max Tow Package to tow that weight. Max Tow is almost a must I think unless you don't plan on having any passengers or putting anything in the bed. You'll also get the 3.73 gears in the non-FX4 trucks.

There will be one passenger (the wife) most of the time. I am not sure I want the Eco Boost. I would be more comfortable with the 5.0. The bed would be empty except maybe for a little firewood or ice cooler.

I would be looking at the Supercrew with the 5 1/2' bed.

Edited by CKNSLS

A lot of these crewcabs without Max Tow don't have 1500 lbs of payload. 7000 lb trailer x 15% tongue weight = 1400 lbs and you haven't added the weight of yourself, passengers or cargo. Better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by Bryan1

A lot of these crewcabs without Max Tow don't have 1500 lbs of payload. 7000 lb trailer x 15% tongue weight = 1400 lbs and you haven't added the weight of yourself, passengers or cargo. Better to be safe than sorry.

I appreciate your concern about safety. I don't want to run at "unsafe". However, I don't think it will be unsafe, maybe towing near 100% of vehicle (payload) capacity, but not unsafe.

Of course adding LT tires and airbags would increase the margin a little.

Edited by CKNSLS