6 speed manual problem?

broncoman71

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody with a 2011 Mustang had any trouble with the manual trans? I have read in other forums about clunky 1-2 shifts. Thanks.

go to

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/268693-official-2011-mustang-manual-transmission-rough-shifting-thread.html

you will see your not alone in this issue...

Edited by pony racer

Has anybody with a 2011 Mustang had any trouble with the manual trans? I have read in other forums about clunky 1-2 shifts. Thanks.

I've read through quite a few of these posts on various forums and it's pretty disturbing. I have a 2012 on order as we speak. I have somewhat of a take on this (have a seat, I'm long winded).

I currently have a 69 Hemi Road Runner running the old school New Process 4 speed trans. Always the inquisitive type, I rebuilt the trans myself and have a better appreciation how these things work. Some of the circumstances of this problem were described but I'm sure I missed some.

In a nut shell, modern transmissions are constant mesh, meaning with the clutch engaged and the engine running, everything is turning. The speed gears basically freewheel on the output shaft with the sliders splined to the output shaft. When a gear change is made the slider move engages dogs on the speed gear essentially locking it to the output shaft. The slider also does another thing. It slides over the outer teeth of the blocking ring (synchro). The blocking ring has a conical shape cup that mates to a similar surface on the speed gear. This is what stops the gear and allows for a smooth shift.

So what causes a harsh shift? A number of thing singularly or together can do this. First of all, bell housing alignment is important. The input shaft fits into the back of the crank via a pilot. The pilot sits in a pilot bushing. The trans is bolted to the bellhousing. If the housing is misaligned, the pilot bushing will drag on the input shaft which will cause it to turn even with the clutch disengaged. If the input it turning, the cluster is turning and hence the speed gear is turning-harsh shift.

The next-clutch departure. If there is not enough clearance between the pressure plate-disk-flywheel, again the the input shaft will continue to turn. Remember the disk will expand with heat closing up this gap.

The clutch disk splines can also cause a problem. If they bind on input shaft, the flywheel/pressure plate might drag on the clutch disk.

Finally, the blocking rings/sliders may not be correctly machined, have burrs or the dog teeth on the gears may not be machined properly causing rough engagement.

Fluid can also play a role in some of these problems. If they are incompatible with the blocker ring material (brass), it could cause them to rapidly wear. If the friction of the fluid is not right, the cone on the blocking ring might not stop the speed gear in a consistent manner.

The complaints I've seen indicate it's more pronounced when cold but can still occur when hot. This would pretty much eliminate the bell housing alignment or clutch disk problem as it would happen every time/all the time. It would imagine it would be bad from the beginning. This problem seams to mitigate over time. Also by the looks of one of the videos, the notchy shifting happens even with the engine off. If I were a betting man, I would suspect a problem in the fluid (incompatible), or there is a defect in the material or machining in the blocker rings/sliders/ or speed gear dog teeth.

I would suspect the Ford engineers along with Gatrag are ripping some trannys apart to check these components. If its a fluid related issue, it may take a little longer to determine and find the correct formulation.

As for the clutch engagement problem, a few things can be afoot here. The friction material plays a huge role in how the clutch engages. The first clutch I used on the Road Runner was scintered metal friction material. Great for drag racing, not so much for day to day driving. It worked like a light switch. It was either on or off, nothing in between. I replaced this clutch with a normal disk and it was much more manageable and had a smother engagement. Now, if there was problem with the disk material and they replaced the clutch with another disk of the same material, obviously you would find no change.

Now, if the pressure plate bolts were loose, well you can imagine there would be a huge assortment of problems.

Maybe this is the answer: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1102_ford_2011_mustang_transmission_swap/tremec_gear_ratios.html

Edited by robot_trainer

• 1 month later...

Well, as the owner of 5 Mustangs previous to my new 2011 GT, I can honestly say this new 6 speed manual is the WORST shifting trans I've ever plunked my hard earned money on. I received the car and promptly noticed it was difficult to hit the right gear and the faster the RPM's, the more difficult it becomes.I gave it a slow break in and so far, at 800 miles, it is the same or worse. I am really sick to death with this and it's going back to the dealer tomorrow. I curse myself for being so dumb as to buy another stick trans. :banghead::censored:

Edited by Hrsepwer

wow I am glad to hear that I'll be waiting 5 months for a pile of crap!!!!! I guess no :shift: with this crap trans.

Go ford for backing up a momumential engine with a POS trans! Reason I did not go auto is because with a good stick the car is so much more fun! i guess not in this case, I'm going an 08 BMW 335i with an awesome 6spd to a mustang with a POS trans! Awesome!

wow I am glad to hear that I'll be waiting 5 months for a pile of crap!!!!! I guess no :shift: with this crap trans.

Go ford for backing up a momumential engine with a POS trans! Reason I did not go auto is because with a good stick the car is so much more fun! i guess not in this case, I'm going an 08 BMW 335i with an awesome 6spd to a mustang with a POS trans! Awesome!

BMW uses Getrag manual transmissions as well (though not the MT82).

BMW uses Getrag manual transmissions as well (though not the MT82).

my 2007 v-6 did not shift right so i drained out the automatic tranny fluid and put in red line synthetic manuel trans lube ,,what a difference it made you can bang the gears with no problem

my 2007 v-6 did not shift right so i drained out the automatic tranny fluid and put in red line synthetic manuel trans lube ,,what a difference it made you can bang the gears with no problem

Read the tsb on the transmission, I understand it solves the problem and is no charge from Ford.

I'm sorry but I do not buy it, the issues I am seeing people have trans fluid change is not going to fix. Clutch petals staying on the floor at high RPMs, alignment pins ripping of pressure plates, syncro's going, the list go's on. I know getrag makes BMW trans but they have two location, one in Germany and one in China. well the mustangs is made in China! And we wonder why it has issues!!!!

I know getrag makes BMW trans but they have two location, one in Germany and one in China. well the mustangs is made in China! And we wonder why it has issues!!!!

The Ford-Getrag-JMC plant in Nanchang has manufactured the MT82 transmission for at least a few years now for the RWD Mk7 Ford Transit prior to the 2011 Mustang application. I haven't heard of any significant quality control lapses at this plant.

Edited by aneekr

The Ford-Getrag-JMC plant in Nanchang has manufactured the MT82 transmission for at least a few years now for the RWD Mk7 Ford Transit prior to the 2011 Mustang application. I haven't heard of any significant quality control lapses at this plant.

Well somthing went wrong somewhere because guys are having issues with them all over!

Well somthing went wrong somewhere because guys are having issues with them all over!

There are several anonymous posters on the different forums claiming problems...

The problem I have with many of the threads I've read is that when I go back and look at previous posts by these folks and read how they describe their driving habits, it's not surprising to me that they have problems with their cars.

"Drive it like you stole it" seems to be a popular theme.

I prefer to drive it like I want to pass it down to my son when he's my age.

Edited by DCS

I prefer to drive it like I want to pass it down to my son when he's my age.

I am a current owner of a 2003 Cobra and this is my pride and joy! I do not and will not abuse my cars, they are taken care of like they were my children, I mean the CObra is in a heated garage with a car cover on it insite a car capsule!! The 5.0 will be treated the same but I want to be able to take it out for a sunday, rip some gears and not be scared I might drop the clutch right out of it or wipe the trans for doing what it was supposedly built for to DRIVE! I am not taking it to the strip and doing 5K launches but if I want to leave a light and redline a few gears from time to time I do not want in the back of my head it is going to break.

MY Cobra is producing 700rwhp with the stock T-56 and a upgraded clutch and has had some 5K launches on slicks at the track and it has not skipped a beat, the MT-82 Well I have my serious doubts it could handle it!!!!!

I am a current owner of a 2003 Cobra and this is my pride and joy! I do not and will not abuse my cars, they are taken care of like they were my children, I mean the CObra is in a heated garage with a car cover on it insite a car capsule!! The 5.0 will be treated the same but I want to be able to take it out for a sunday, rip some gears and not be scared I might drop the clutch right out of it or wipe the trans for doing what it was supposedly built for to DRIVE! I am not taking it to the strip and doing 5K launches but if I want to leave a light and redline a few gears from time to time I do not want in the back of my head it is going to break.

MY Cobra is producing 700rwhp with the stock T-56 and a upgraded clutch and has had some 5K launches on slicks at the track and it has not skipped a beat, the MT-82 Well I have my serious doubts it could handle it!!!!!

I have heard from a lot more post of people ripping through gears, even sans clutch, than the ones with issues. I would not have any doubts it can handle some fun. Remember it's torque not HP that kills a tranny.

I took my 2011 GT back to the dealer as I said I would in my original post here, and after sitting there for an hour and 15 minutes, was told the trans guy had to go home on a "personal emergency". The one trans guy who only works his designated hours and he leaves after I take a day off work to fix this $39,000 car. Very nice. On the GOOD side, as I hit 1000 miles, it now seems to be shifting a bit better and smoother. Maybe it's best they DIDN'T touch it after all. :waiting:

FYI

maybe something is going to get fixed now ?

Jalopnik tid bit about the hard shifting mustangs not all but some

Gawker media sites have gone from 1.75 million average views a day to less than 250,000 in the last couple of months and they're using anything they can to get the eyes back so their ad revenue doesn't fall even more.

A sensationalistic approach to a few problems doesn't surprise me. Did you read the article? "Fifteen owners have lodged safety complaints", but when you actually go the NTSB's http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/ site and look, there are 21 reports of problems with the 2011 Mustang (of the close to 66,000 sold) and no transmission related issues were reported to have a crash, fire, injury or death associated with the report.

Kinda hard to claim safety issues without one of those having been the result, wouldn't you say?

In fact, of the whole list, the only incidents reported that had actual accidents were 2 from GT 500 drivers who lost control when they floored it... apparently they feel that spinning tires wasn't something one should expect from a GT 500

Read them, they're a gas!

Edited by DCS
  • Like 1

For the most part, I would imagine that the fluid change would smooth out the shifts.

The clutch, and pin sheer problems seem to be related to the "drive it like you stole is" syndrome.

As someone who has followed Mustangs for a long time, I think we can chalk this up to "the new toy" syndrome. Basically, Ford came out with a couple of really great engines in the Mustang. Every drag racer wannabe on the planet, who buys one, thinks he is a pro. Out to the track we go, to slam some gears. So, they slam gears, and slam gears, and slam gears, and eventually, something goes bang.

Now, instead of going "gee, I'm an idiot and broke my car," it is Fords fault. Much like people who threw tunes on Gen 2 Lightnings with big pulleys, and then decided it was a good idea to go out with their new tune and run 140mph at full throttle....................... and put their piston through the block. For page after page after page....................... it was Ford sucks, they denied my warranty. They suck because they built such a crappy product. They suck, they suck. Around page 9-10 tidbits of reality start to come out. By page 15-16 everyone now knows that the OP is a fool.

I'm not saying this is true all the time. However, short of the clunky shift, which will probably be fixed with driving (no it shouldn't do it. I would suspect there is some slag or a poor machine finish on a gear causing it. It needs to be resolved at the factory), these other issues do sound alot like "the new toy" syndrome.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I give it another 6-months to a year, to find out that novices were abusing their trans, with their new toy. If I am wrong, I am wrong.................... but I have seen similar happenings every time Ford comes out with a new, neat, toy.

Mr hrspwr, I do not put you in this catagory. It is obvious that you have the clunky issue. Hopefully it resolves itself to your satisfaction, soon. Ford does have Mustang production shut-down right now. They haven't said alot about it. One wonders if the trans is one of the reasons. They will get your issue fixed, soon I hope. As for the other issue, often times there is no fix for that.