Issues with MyFordTouch on '11 Limited Explorer

SGT, i havent had a chance to look at the liftgate yet, once the weather in NJ gets better and I take the truck for its first wash, I will take a look at this and see if it is the same as what you are experencing.

Back to my other issue I was having, I brought it to the dealer who contacted Ford's engineers and they told them to reinstall using the IDF (I thnk that is the term they used) and all seems to be well. I asked about the 10B20 fix that you were going to do on yours and they said they would not do it because it is only supposed to be run on 2011 Ford Edge's with the MFT.

Its been almost 1 week since I got it back, lets hope no more issues, and hopefully soon, there will be a real fix for this issue and not just guessing

Thanks for the update.

Maybe I will hold off the 10B20 update then until they sort out this issue

BTW the WeatherTech website has the Laserfit allweather mats for our trucks now $99 front only. These mats are by far the best for protection especially for the weather you get.

@ tecmjl1981... other than the issues that you experienced in this discussion, how is the rest of your experience with the Explorer? I have one on order and I am interested to hear how it's going (also a little concerned, but not at the regret purchase stage). Do you love it, hate it, indifferent? Also, what kind of driving are you typically doing....long vs. short commute or have you taken it on any great distance excursions? Thanks in advance.

IMO one of the nicest vehicles I have owned and thats after a full load GMC Denali.

Fit and finish is top notch. The ride and drive quality is superb, the Terrain Management System is very slick and "wife friendly" (if you know what I mean). Easy to park, easy to manoeuvre through city traffic, good visibility. Great Highway drive.

The issues with My Ford Touch are frustrating but we forget while SYNC has been around for a while, My Ford Touch is brand new so it will be a little buggy. I know that SYNC Development Team is working hard to perfect so it is not just being ignored.

No regrets at all.

Absolutely love the Tuxedo Black paint, especially in the sun, the glass flecks look great.

@ tecmjl1981... other than the issues that you experienced in this discussion, how is the rest of your experience with the Explorer? I have one on order and I am interested to hear how it's going (also a little concerned, but not at the regret purchase stage). Do you love it, hate it, indifferent? Also, what kind of driving are you typically doing....long vs. short commute or have you taken it on any great distance excursions? Thanks in advance.

I am in the same boat as SGT. I love my explorer. When I was looking to purchase, I ran the gambit of trucks I looked at and test drove the X5, X6, Highlander, Acadia, MDX (which was the truck I replaced), Q7, Mercedes GL and M, RX350, Touareg, and the Pilot. None of these trucks offered what the Explorer have for the price of the explorer (I have a limited fully fully loaded one in Tuxedo Black)

I pre-ordered my explorer before I had a chance to test drive it and once I did, I knew I made the right decision. There are some bugs and glitches with Sync and MyFord Touch, but I was ready for anything that would come up and Ford Corporate and my local dealer have been more than accommodating with all of my issues and concerns, and I know they will be resolved soon (hopefully :shades: )

I drive on average 60 miles round trip from my house to my job and havent really put it through the ringer yet, although it did just snow in the NJ area and the terrain management feature of the truck is AMAZING, I did not slip and slide at all when in the snow mode.

Gas is eh, the explorer has a 18.5gallon tank which gives me approx 310 miles till empty with my driving habits where as my '08MDX that the explorer replaced has a 21.5gallon tank and gave me on average 355 miles till empty.

If you are looking, get tuxedo black, like SGT says, it is a very sleek color that really sparkles in the sun.

EDIT: My wife drove it for the first time today and said it is like driving a tank down the street, I thaught I would share that funny line with everyone :)

Edited by tecmjl1981

I am in the same boat as SGT. I love my explorer. When I was looking to purchase, I ran the gambit of trucks I looked at and test drove the X5, X6, Highlander, Acadia, MDX (which was the truck I replaced), Q7, Mercedes GL and M, RX350, Touareg, and the Pilot. None of these trucks offered what the Explorer have for the price of the explorer (I have a limited fully fully loaded one in Tuxedo Black)

I pre-ordered my explorer before I had a chance to test drive it and once I did, I knew I made the right decision. There are some bugs and glitches with Sync and MyFord Touch, but I was ready for anything that would come up and Ford Corporate and my local dealer have been more than accommodating with all of my issues and concerns, and I know they will be resolved soon (hopefully :shades: )

I drive on average 60 miles round trip from my house to my job and haven’t really put it through the ringer yet, although it did just snow in the NJ area and the terrain management feature of the truck is AMAZING, I did not slip and slide at all when in the snow mode.

Gas is eh, the explorer has a 18.5gallon tank which gives me approx 310 miles till empty with my driving habits where as my '08MDX that the explorer replaced has a 21.5gallon tank and gave me on average 355 miles till empty.

If you are looking, get tuxedo black, like SGT says, it is a very sleek color that really sparkles in the sun.

EDIT: My wife drove it for the first time today and said it is like driving a tank down the street, I thaught I would share that funny line with everyone :)

You have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your wife's comments!.....only because I got the same thing........also I got "its very wide isnt it"

She drives a 2011 GMC Terrain, nice, but not even close.

I drive on average 60 miles round trip from my house to my job and haven’t really put it through the ringer yet, although it did just snow in the NJ area and the terrain management feature of the truck is AMAZING, I did not slip and slide at all when in the snow mode.

Thanks for easing my concerns tecmjl1981 and Srg. Not that I really doubted my order, but I just want to make sure that there was nothing drastically wrong which I may have missed reading in several forums. I currently have a first year issue (after a redesign) BMW M3 which I wish I would've been a little bit more diligent about the research. That car has been nothing but a headache (go figure right). I Love the car, just hate being on first name basis with the repairman. All of which is in contrast with a 2000 Explorer that I've only had to change the tires, oil, brakes and (at worse) the radiator. Main reason I went back to a Ford product.

I shopped Audis, BMWs, VWs, and several others, but found the Explorer just felt ......better (the drive and interior). Blew the others away, especially with the technology. That is why I ordered the black one like you two. Shopped every color they made and by far the black with the black interior just looked the best. Also, if you're going in you might as well "go all in!!!" right? So you have to get it fully loaded. While I'll probably hate relinquishing the BMW to my wife (in more ways than one), I am so much more excited to drive the Explorer each day than worry about her and her driving habits in the BMW. Patience is proving not to be my strong suit, but two weeks in and what....five to six more to go? Whew...seems like a lifetime.

Thanks again and I look forward hearing more about your experiences in future posts.

I know this thread started out as something else but I'll chip in to your question.

We've had ours almost 3 weeks. She's flawless. The technology is awesome and it all works well. I'm a meticulous detailer and this past weekend washing her I found no fit/finish issues. We're at 21.6mpg longterm so far in mixed city/highway. Its our new family hauler and we couldnt be happier.

We drove the Acadia/Enclave twins and they were boring and stale with no "lust factor" like the Ex has. Oh, cheaper and better technology too :)

Good luck w/ yours :)

Edited by urbanski

Speaking of detailing, how are you guys cleaning the MFT screen? I am thinking about getting a anti-fingerprint and glare for an iPad and cutting it down to fit the MFT, any ideas?

I have been using a special cloth that Panasonic sells with their computers.

I like that iPad screen protector idea though.

BTW thanks for the info on the 10B20 update, my dealer agrees not doing it is better. He actually seems quite knowledgable on the SYNC MFT.

He made an interesting comment about the issue of the system doing "auto updates" like you and I experienced. He asked me if my MFT WiFi was turned on and set up to find open WiFi. I told him it is as I set it up in my driveway and it found my home WiFi.

He then told me that he believes the system is actually always looking for open WiFi and when it finds WiFi it starts to check for updates. If it finds one it auto updates and thats why we saw our system going through a system scheduled maintenance screen.

Apparently coming in 2012 is a flash upgrade to our SYNC that allows for Microsoft mobile OS allowing full web browsing among other functionality.

I just got mine back from the dealer yesterday. It was the APIM module that needed to be replaced. Once they figured out it was that, then all seems to be working well so far. The sync module and the MyTouch unit were also replaced but they were done first.

For the screen protection, I found a nice one at NuShield online. I got the one for the '11 Edge and it fits perfectly and applies easily. $17 well spent, I think. It's a quality piece too. I certainly don't want to scratch the screen and the protector takes care of that for me. It in no way alters the touch sensitivity either. It's easy on and will be easy off if I need to replace it. I use a protector on my touch phone and with all the touching going on in this vehicle, it was a no brainer to get one for it as well.

I find that a good quality microfiber towel cleans up the screen nicely.

I just got mine back from the dealer yesterday. It was the APIM module that needed to be replaced. Once they figured out it was that, then all seems to be working well so far. The sync module and the MyTouch unit were also replaced but they were done first.

For the screen protection, I found a nice one at NuShield online. I got the one for the '11 Edge and it fits perfectly and applies easily. $17 well spent, I think. It's a quality piece too. I certainly don't want to scratch the screen and the protector takes care of that for me. It in no way alters the touch sensitivity either. It's easy on and will be easy off if I need to replace it. I use a protector on my touch phone and with all the touching going on in this vehicle, it was a no brainer to get one for it as well.

Thanks for the NuShield tip, I ordered one today, excellent idea, no cutting at all.

Custom made for the SYNC 8" screen.

Here is the info from NuShield they provided me to order the protectors for the Nav and DVD system. Checked with them and the F150 they mention matches the dimensions of the Edge and Explorer:

The Navigation screen is the same size as for the Ford F-150 ‘09-10.

The DVD headrest screen is the same size as for the Dynavin D90.

Please order for these items here:

http://www.NuShield.com/buy.php

Thanks for the tip. I ordered a screen protector soon after I saw your post and received it today. It fits perfect and you are right about it not affecting the touch sensitivity.

• 2 weeks later...

In other words, go to a web site and download fixes and upgrades or does the dealer do it?

Yes. :)

Dealer has to do major upgrades (reinstall firmware, etc.) but you can do the minor upgrades yourself from syncmyride.com.

(BTW - you're over your daily question limit)