Flex vs. new Explorer

T'Cal

To Flex owners: I'm going to be purchasing a family vehicle in the next 3-6 months and have narrowed my list down to the Flex and the new Explorer. Other than the roomier middle row, what do you see as the advantages of the Flex over the Explorer? I'm not interested in the EcoBoost for the Flex due to its higher initial cost. I'll be looking at loaded midline models.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if it would be considered an advantage for some, but the lower ride height of the Flex might make it a bit easier for smaller children to get themselves in and out of the back seats.

Definitely! Plus the fact that the second row has much more legroom in the Flex makes getting kids to the third row, carseats in the second row, etc. that much easier. My opinion, unless you need room for 6, get the second row buckets. That's what we did, and our two oldest can just walk to the back without needing to flip up a seat in the second row.

For hauling kids, I would say the Flex would be a couple notches above the Explorer. We've had our Flex for 2+ years, and it works great for our 3 kiddos (7, 5, 2). Best of luck on your decision.

All good points, thanks. We spent several hours at the Detroit and Chicago Auto Shows going back and forth between these two people-movers as well as the competition and we narrowed it down to the Fords. As for my situation, I have four teens who just keep getting taller. Ford lists the third row legroom in both vehicles as the same. Shoulder and headroom is greater in the Flex but the Explorer isn't bad at all. Going with mid-row buckets is a great idea as they adjust fore and aft while the bench is fixed. As much as I like the convenience of a center console, by taking a pass on it, there's room for legs to stretch out in either vehicle. The Flex has the taller roof with vertical pillars and available sunroofs (only the front one opens), all of which make it feel airier than the competition.

Edited by T'Cal

We have a Flex with two young kids still in boosters (lovely state of MN) and my vote is the Flex. It looks mean, drives like a dream and is different. The Explorer is nice but it looks like a lot of the other rigs on the road. (Don't bash me....I am a loyal Ford guy!).

Plus....don't pass on the 'Boost - it is the most fun I have had in a car since high school! :censored:

Eric

To Flex owners: I'm going to be purchasing a family vehicle in the next 3-6 months and have narrowed my list down to the Flex and the new Explorer. Other than the roomier middle row, what do you see as the advantages of the Flex over the Explorer? I'm not interested in the EcoBoost for the Flex due to its higher initial cost. I'll be looking at loaded midline models.

Thanks in advance.

do you like to be 'tall in the saddle'? or prefer the view angle of a car?

I have had trucks and vans and have always gone back to cars, just like the feel of being lower in the saddle, compared to a truck...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your input and recommendations. I opted for an 4WD Explorer Limited. In checking specs, I learned that the room in the rear seat in the Freestyle/Taurus X/Flex/Explorer are identical are darn near. Where the Flex shines is in the middle row but by opting for the buckets in the Explorer, the middle row seats are adjustable and there is plenty of room in all three rows for me and my family. If you get the split bench, it's fixed. The Explorers more up to date and stronger engine along with the TMS were deal makers. I prefer the look of the Explorer in and out but I certainly don't dislike the Flex. I also went with a lighter interior and the dual moon roofs so the interior feel airy and bright. I was very pleased with the dealership experience and the deal itself. I'm amazed at all the toys that come with the Limited and the 301A.