Diesels....really worth it?

very nice...welcome. No doubt those TDIs get great mileage, i still cant get over the VW dependability stigma though, Ive known of and heard too many horror stories, shame because i do like the way the cars look and drive.

People said the same thing about Ford (as early as 5 or so years ago...). Times change...

People said the same thing about Ford (as early as 5 or so years ago...). Times change...

That's true, so we should also keep an open mind that things though too expensive to do three and four years ago

may now becoming mandatory equipment elsewhere, I'd think that when Euro 6 becomes mandatory for diesels,

the quantum jump needed will sort the men form the boys and those with good strategies in place will have both

GDIT and clean diesel covered. At that time, those next generation diesels may be suitable for the US but what

still remains is the buy in price for that great fuel economy but will American buyers all be GDIT converts by then?

You know how admitting you have a problem is the first step in solving it?

VW execs don't think dependability/reliability is a problem. To them, it's the stupid fat lazy unappreciative Americans that are the problem:

U.S. customers look at car size and engine displacement. They won't pay a dollar extra for a Passat over the Camry just because of its finesse and attention to detail,

http://www.caranddriver.com/spy-shots/2011-volkswagen-jetta-ncs-and-nms-us-market-sedans-spied

I'd love to know how VW shmoozes customers to pay nearly $4,000 more for a diesel with less than sparkling fuel economy...

If Ford did that, they would be pillaried at every turn,,,but because it's VW and a Golf or Jetta, it gets a hall pass...

I'd love to know how VW shmoozes customers to pay nearly $4,000 more for a diesel with less than sparkling fuel economy...

If Ford did that, they would be pillaried at every turn,,,but because it's VW and a Golf or Jetta, it gets a hall pass...

It's the Kraut KoolAid. Somebody has to drive one, I'm just glad it's not me who has to enjoy that ol' farvernoooooogen. Like people who buy Phaetons, probably spend too much time flying a gemoootlish kite. :)