Wi-Fi in cabin

I recently ordered a new explorer limited. I noticed in the brochure that there is mention of wifi to be shared in the cabin. In the picture there is a USB stick in a slot for the wi-fi. What is that stick and is it a ford stick or a verizon, att, etc.?

If I understood what I read correctly from the manual, you would only need the USB dongle to be your internet source (i.e. connect to AT&T or Verizon or whatever). If you were parked next to a starbucks you could get the Explorer to connect to their WiFi and broadcast that internally throughout the explorer (no need for USB). Granted, I won't get to try that out for a few more weeks, but that's just how I interpreted the info.

If I understood what I read correctly from the manual, you would only need the USB dongle to be your internet source (i.e. connect to AT&T or Verizon or whatever). If you were parked next to a starbucks you could get the Explorer to connect to their WiFi and broadcast that internally throughout the explorer (no need for USB). Granted, I won't get to try that out for a few more weeks, but that's just how I interpreted the info.

That sounds pretty much like a correct interpretation. I haven't really messed with it much in my Edge. I do have it set to pair with my home wireless when I pull into the driveway, but I haven't tried to use that connection as a hotspot for any other devices yet.

I recently ordered a new explorer limited. I noticed in the brochure that there is mention of wifi to be shared in the cabin. In the picture there is a USB stick in a slot for the wi-fi. What is that stick and is it a ford stick or a verizon, att, etc.?

Ford doesn't make a USB modem, you have to purchase one from a cellular carrier but be for-warned this feature is in its infancy and very few have had success.

You can also use the BlueTooth data tethering feature on your cell-phone if you have it.

Here is what I have found so far.

Tried the Sierra Wireless 308 GSM HSPA+ USB modem and it works great in my MacBook but wont work in SYNC MFT. Doesn't even light up. When you plug it in it auto downloads its modem user interface software so perhaps it has to do that in SYNC but SYNC wont allow that right now.

Called SYNC Tech Support they told me only two USB modems work with the current v2.4 SYNC MFT software.

Sierra Wireless 598 CDMA EvDO

Sierra Wireless Mercury USB GSM modem from AT&T (apparently discontinued but you may find old one around)

Apparently the Sierra Wireless 308 USB modem is being tested and may be approved in the next version upgrade of SYNC.

New SYNC Gen2 V2.7 due out soon so it may allow more USB modems to be used......stay tuned!

• 3 weeks later...

I inquired about this function from the deal and they told me that the latest Verizon USB Wireless network cards (3G) will turn the car into a mobile hotspot. It was a big selling point for me. Hopefully it works!?! I have to wait for my Explorer to be delivered.. it will be one of the first things I do.

• 1 month later...

I inquired about this function from the deal and they told me that the latest Verizon USB Wireless network cards (3G) will turn the car into a mobile hotspot. It was a big selling point for me. Hopefully it works!?! I have to wait for my Explorer to be delivered.. it will be one of the first things I do.

Great article on this subject :

"COLOGNE, GERMANY – May 2, 2011: The all-new Ford Focus will be transformed into a rolling WiFi hot spot when Ford SYNC with MyFord Touch technology makes its European debut next year.

SYNC will use software updates to ensure it remains compatible with the latest hardware and devices, so customers can be sure that their SYNC-equipped vehicles will always allow them to make use of whatever USB mobile broadband modem or smartphone they are using

SYNC’s WiFi capability will be a user-friendly solution to connecting Ford vehicles to the internet on the move. When it arrives on the new Ford Focus in 2012, the factory-installed system will seamlessly integrate the hardware into the vehicle, unlike internet connection systems from some manufacturers that require a bolt-in receiver and transmitter. With no subscription fee and the ability to provide a secure WiFi connection for up to five devices, SYNC with MyFord Touch will make the Ford Focus the best connected vehicle in its class."

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2011/05/02/530481-all-new-ford-focus-to-offer-wifi-connectivity-2012-when.html

• 3 weeks later...

I'll definitely be using this functionality when I get mine in a few weeks. Fortunately, almost all wireless cards/fobs have a 30 day trial during which you can return no questions asked. I have had most success with Verizon, so that will probably be the one I use. I'll post when I get it running....

-m

• 1 month later...

My wife wanted a iPad 2 but I was not willing to purchase a new limited data plan in the iPad and pay an additional $300 for one to connect with AT&T or Verizon. After some research, I decided to buy her an iPad 2, and instead, take that money I would save by not buying it with a built in connection, upgrade from a 16GB to a 64GB iPad for $699. My Explorer has MFT also, but I decided that changing my unlimited data plan in my AT&T iPhone to a limited data tethering plan would be a waste and not work anyway with MFT right now.

The iPad and most laptops can connect to Wi-Fi and the internet without a wired connection to about any wireless system, so one more limit data plan purchase was needed for my Vehicles and my boat. The cell phone companies are going to regulate the data as a pay as you use system, but locking that to one devise like a iPad is crazy. I went to Sams Club and Costco to talk to them and get the scoop on the different data plans and devises. Basically, I found I had a choice of Sprint, AT&T or Verizon and I just needed to look at coverage for my area and consider their coverage in the US.

I needed to purchase the iPad at Best Buy, so I talked to their Mobile Experts to get their opinion to compare what I heard at Sams and Costco. I ended up purchasing a two year contract with Verizon because they have the best 4G coverage in my area. With the 5 Gig monthly contract, I got the Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hot Spot - SCH-LC11 for $1. You can connect 5 devises to the internet at the same time and my wife can carry the small light weight devise in her purse. We linked all 5 laptops we have to this Mobile Hot Spot for use away from home. We use the unlimited wireless data at home and work and only turn on the 4G as needed. If this devise cannot be hooked-up with MFT, I'm sure a newer devise can be purchased later that will. The 4G Hot Spot with Verizon works very fast and I've never been dropped yet.

I use Verizon MiFi card. It will not connect to Sync in the vehicle yet but then again there is no reason for it to as it will handle up to 5 devices at a time on its own. It is nice to plug it in to the usb port to keep it charged though.

My vehicle wiil connect to my home wireless network while sitting in the driveway, so it's nice to know you can pull from an unsecured source such as motels, coffee shops, etc. if needed.