Ford Issues Public Statement on Paint Material Supply Issues

Vash

I am one of the lucky ones who just had a truck built, this past weekend, with one of the affected colors (Candy Red)

I had a horrible thought on the way to work today that I hope to never have to worry about.

What happens down the road if someone with one of these colors has an accident and the production hasn't come back? Do they keep enough in inventory to supply the after-market auto body industry?

I work for a MAJOR automotive paint/chemical company. I have not heard of any shortages regarding the pigments. Keep in mind, we have large batches of paint made far in advance to keep supply in the pipeline. Even with the disruption there is still plenty of supply for the typical repair shop.

Latest article on upcoming Ford Vehicle Plant idling. Not all necessarily related to the paint pigment shortage:

In a regulatory filing today, Ford said it is assessing the impact of the earthquake and while the automakerhas no production facilities in Japan, it continues to work with suppliers of parts and materials located there to ensure shipments continue with minimaldisruption.

"We also are pursuing other sources of supply as necessary and practicable," Ford said, noting there still are restrictions on orderingvehicles in certain paint colors because of a pigment that is solely sourced from a plant near Japan's damaged nuclear reactor.

"Because the situation in Japan continues to develop, supply interruptions related to materials and components from Japan could manifest themselves in the weeks ahead."

The automaker said if shipment of akey componentis affected and an alternate supply cannot be found,forcing vehicle assembly to stop,it wouldadversely affect the automaker'sfinancial condition.

From The Detroit News: Ford to idle first plants over parts shortage due to Japan quake | detnews.com | The Detroit News

No mention, however, on idling the Dearborn Truck Plant thankfully.

Anyone else have any updated info?

Edited by Vash

Currently now posted in the Customer Support FAQ section on Ford's own website here: http://corporate.for...26view%3Dprint#

Early Paint Balance Out

Due to a supplier disruption of a metallic paint pigment used by the automotive industry caused by the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, Ford will restrict scheduling of several colors until paint is exhausted on select vehicle lines for the 2011 model year.The paint colors affected are Tuxedo Black, Red Candy, Royal Red, and Red Fire. Vehicle lines affected include F150, Super Duty, Expedition, Navigator, Taurus, MKS, Explorer, Focus, and Ranger. Final production of these colors is expected in mid-April and alternative replacement colors are under investigation. If you have a vehicle on order with a dealership, please keep in touch with the sales department who can provide more information about the status of your order.

TOKYO, April 5 (Reuters) - Germany's Merck KGaA aims to resume full production by June 1 in Japan at the world's only factory making a specialty paint pigment that has forced Ford Motor Co and other car makers to stop taking orders for cars in certain colours...

Workers returned to the factory on Monday to begin repair and construction work with the aim of restarting production in stages before a full recovery from June 1, Merck's spokesman in Japan, David Pinsker, said.

Pinsker said he could not give a specific start date, or how much of the pigment would be delivered to which customers first...

Merck said the plant had been closed because some employees suffered damage to their homes and had difficulty commuting due to a gasoline shortage, and not because of radiation fears.

Source link: http://www.reuters.c...E7F42MP20110405

Edited by Vash

Purchasing News: Issue 106 – April 5, 2011

The following color/vehicle combos are no longer available for ordering, effective 4/1/11: (UH) Tuxedo Black – Edge, Flex, F150, MKT, MKX

(UK) Royal Red – Expedition, F-Super Duty, Navigator (U6) Red Candy – F150

(G2) Red Fire - Ranger

Per Ford, leave unscheduled orders as-is with original paint selection. When they officially balance out a color, unscheduled orders will require a new paint color to be selected.

Source: http://www.arifleet.com/news/purchasing_news/issue_106_april_5_2011/#S3

Also, credit to Bluedog on fordraptorforum.com for finding this.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Ford might be adding another Black color as an option for the 2011 Raptor and maybe other affected vehicles that had Tuxedo Black as an option.

Posted on fordraptorforum.com:

Just found this info in the 2011 Raptor order bank

Model Year: 11 Body/Series: W1R Trim: __

SEL OPT Description Retail

_ SZ BLUE FLAME N/C

_ UA BLACK N/C *********

_ UH TUXEDO BLACK N/C

_ UX INGOT SILVER N/C

_ UY MOLT ORANGE TRI 495

_ YZ OXFORD WHITE N/C

UA HOLD SELECTED PAINT NOT YET AVAILABLE

Just got off the phone w/ Ford Customer Care. Apparently my Tux Black 2011 Raptor has a VIN now, but no scheduling info. Called my dealer to get confirmation and they're going to pull the latest status.

Thus far it looks like my order placed 28 FEB is a go for Tux Black unless I find otherwise. smile.gif

I'll keep everyone posted

Update: Dealer confirmed my VIN to be built the week of 02 May in Tuxedo Black!

Edited by Vash

The Ford Americas President issued an update today:

"We have worked through and are making good progress on replacement colors," Ford Americas President Mark Fields told reporters on the sidelines of the New York International Auto Show today. "We'll have those replacement colors in probably the next month or two."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/a...e#ixzz1K5f6ajQS

Edited by Vash

Phew!!! I'm glad Sterling grey "Metallic" wasn't affected....which I am suprised by......sorry to hear about the black and Race Red being affected...hope this doesn't affect to many people!!! These are going to be popular colours now!! simply due to scarcity!

I have yet to get someone at Ford to confirm whether they have run out of paint yet and have stopped producing trucks in the affected colors. Hopefully they we give those that have not had their order filled yet the opportunity to pick a different color rather than wait another couple of months!

I found this on fordraptorforum.com. Ford has communicated an update to dealers:

April 25, 2011

To: All Ford and Lincoln Dealers Subject: EFC00312DC Paint Availability Update A month ago (3/25/11), we notified you of an industry-wide supply chain issue which would disrupt the supply of pigments for some of our vehicle paints. Since then, a cross-functional Ford team has developed a comprehensive plan to ensure dealers retain the ability to order and stock a full range of colors with minimal scheduling disruption.

Actions are being implemented at all manufacturing facilities that will include replacement paint choices where necessary. We also continue to have a significant number of vehicles in dealer stock and in the system available for sale to retail customers. Between current inventories and our comprehensive paint plan, we do not expect to experience any color shortages.

The purpose of this communication is to provide an update on scheduling of early balance out paints and our plan to manage through this change.

Vehicle Scheduling Update

Previously, we communicated early balance out of Tuxedo Black, Red Candy, Royal Red and Redfire paint for some vehicle lines.

Additional colors will balance out in the coming weeks and months including:

Bordeaux Reserve

Lava Red

Kona Blue

Sangria Red

Earth

Bright Magenta

Updates with specific balance out dates/details will be provided via normal communication channels - Weekly Commodity and Constraints letter and updates from the Field Order Schedulers.

Replacement Paints

The action plan includes replacement colors for all paints affected by this shortage. Three color replacements impact 2011 models while the remaining replacement paints will be available for the 2012MY.

Below is a summary of the 2011MY vehicle order guides that will be updated:

Current Paint

Replacement Paint

Models

Tuxedo Black (UH)

Black (UA)

Taurus, Edge, Explorer

F-150, Super Duty, Expedition,

Navigator, MKS, MKX

Red Fire (G2)

Toreador Red (FL)

Ranger

Red Candy (U6)

Red Candy (RZ)

F150

Dealer Recommended Actions

Significant efforts have been taken to reduce scheduling disruption during this transition. Dealers are encouraged to:

Review weekly scheduling notes for information on replacement paint timing and the publication of updated order guides.

Monitor the unscheduled order bank (USOB) and change orders impacted by balanceout paints.

Ensure salespeople have the most current information to manage customer expectations regarding color availability and retail order scheduling.

This remains a very fluid situation and is subject to change. We will continue to provide additional details as soon as they are available. Thank you for your support as we work through this challenging business environment.

Copyright 2011 Ford Motor Company

• 4 weeks later...