Unimpressed with Ford Rebates

bpm382

Is anyone else unimpressed with current Ford Factory Rebates? Currently $3,000 in my area of New England. Considering its the worst ecomony in recent history, and gas is $4 and rising. I hope Ford comes up with some better incentives for the Summer Sales Event, because these current rebates don't give me any incentive to buy a Ford, and I'm dying to by a Ford....Any thoughts?

Is anyone else unimpressed with current Ford Factory Rebates? Currently $3,000 in my area of New England. Considering its the worst ecomony in recent history, and gas is $4 and rising. I hope Ford comes up with some better incentives for the Summer Sales Event, because these current rebates don't give me any incentive to buy a Ford, and I'm dying to by a Ford....Any thoughts?

With the late release and subsequent delays in delivery, Ford has not seen the expected decline in sales. They are still filling the early orders and orders taken right after the launch. Since the demand drop hasn't been seen Ford didn't increase the incentives this month. I have been watching the dealer inventory, and have not seen much moving off the lots, so I suspect the sales are largely from orders and people who couldn't/didn't want to wait for an ordered truck. Fortunately the current incentives run out 4-4. I'd expect the new incentives to increase slightly after that date.

Disclaimer: I speak with all of the authority of a consumer and have no real insight to the inner working of Ford.

Edited by 1depd

What the heck is an "X-Plan" can anyone use it ? Who is elidgeable ? What is a D plan etc?

X-plan is a discount program for friends and family of Ford employees. Also selected Ford partners are eligible for the number. As are people who are members of certain organizations. Ford share holders who own at least 100 shares for at least 6 months are also eligible. The x-plan pins are not that tough to get and the deals are not that good. You can get about the same deal if you are willing to negotiate for them. X-plan you go in tell them you have x-plan and they tell you the price.

• 3 weeks later...

X-plan is a discount program for friends and family of Ford employees. Also selected Ford partners are eligible for the number. As are people who are members of certain organizations. Ford share holders who own at least 100 shares for at least 6 months are also eligible. The x-plan pins are not that tough to get and the deals are not that good. You can get about the same deal if you are willing to negotiate for them. X-plan you go in tell them you have x-plan and they tell you the price.

Can you get a better price then X-plan plus incentives?

Can you get a better price then X-plan plus incentives?

Sometimes but you have to be careful. With X plan you get incentive protection and you're protected against dealer fees and add-ons. Without X plan they might give you a price that's $200 under X plan but then they add $1000 worth of fees and add-ons.

Sometimes but you have to be careful. With X plan you get incentive protection and you're protected against dealer fees and add-ons. Without X plan they might give you a price that's $200 under X plan but then they add $1000 worth of fees and add-ons.

Would the dealer fees include the destination charge? or maybe a prep charge? I also received a $750 coupon in the mail and hope to apply this to the price as well. As far as incentive protection would I get what ever incentive is best at the time or at the time the truck was ordered?

Thanks for the any input!

Destination charges are always included - they're actually part of the dealer's invoice price. So is the fuel surcharge, and advertising surcharge - these all go back to Ford Corporate, not the dealer.

I believe the dealers are limited to $75 in additional fees over the X-plan price.

The $750 coupon is compatible with the X-Plan - here's the fine print from the one Ford just sent me (AGAIN) lol

*Exclusions apply. See dealer for details. May not combine with other private offers or commercial offers, and the Focus Technology Rebate program. A/Z/D Plan ineligible. Nontransferable out of household. Limit one per household. U.S. residents. Must redeem using original offer; no duplicates accepted. Prior purchases not eligible. Take new retail delivery from dealer stock between and . See dealer for details. Note to dealer: Claim in VINCENT using # and customer ID.

Incentive protection seems to only be available from the largest dealers - I'm not sure why. None of the small local dealers would do it, but all of the large dealers in the Minneapolis area would do it - and all of them said it was actually a Ford corporate program that any dealer could do. Just seems the local dealers didn't want to fill out the paperwork or something.

Destination charges are always included - they're actually part of the dealer's invoice price. So is the fuel surcharge, and advertising surcharge - these all go back to Ford Corporate, not the dealer.

I believe the dealers are limited to $75 in additional fees over the X-plan price.

The $750 coupon is compatible with the X-Plan - here's the fine print from the one Ford just sent me (AGAIN) lol

Incentive protection seems to only be available from the largest dealers - I'm not sure why. None of the small local dealers would do it, but all of the large dealers in the Minneapolis area would do it - and all of them said it was actually a Ford corporate program that any dealer could do. Just seems the local dealers didn't want to fill out the paperwork or something.

The new allowable doc fee is $100. The only other fees the dealer can add are tax, tag, title, etc. - fees required by the gov't paid to others. The X plan price includes all of the other fees mentioned - destination, prep, fuel, fdaf, etc.

You can use the $750 rebate with X plan. Incentive protection is available to most dealers now but it doesn't seem to apply to the $750 coupon although I've seen conflicting reports. It should apply to all of the normal public rebates though.

With X plan you also sometimes get additional rebates not offered to the public. These are typically when there is dealer cash involved. Normally the dealer gets this cash behind the scenes and can use it to lower the price or do advertising or just pocket it - it's up to the dealer and the buyer is none the wiser. When this happens Ford will offer the customer the dealer cash as an additional rebate so the dealer doesn't keep it.

Picked up my truck on Tuesday. I paid 34200 out the door. I received 2k for my trade-in, 3250 in rebates, and about 3100 discount for x-plan. All in all it was a better deal than I was expecting and there was no haggling. Invoice was $36800. With the down payment my payments are a little more than the car I financed three years ago, but the truck is much nicer. I will be refinancing in about a month to get a much better interest rate. The finance guy at the dealership said many times there was no pre-payment penalty (almost like he was telling me to refinance).

Edited by 1depd

I quality for the x-plan through my employer. I recently priced out and ordered a F150 truck and I can say that the X-plan is really not all that great a deal. My dealer's sale prices were within $150 of X-plan without any negotiation. Looking forward to my new truck. Should be here in 4 more weeks approx.

I quality for the x-plan through my employer. I recently priced out and ordered a F150 truck and I can say that the X-plan is really not all that great a deal. My dealer's sale prices were within $150 of X-plan without any negotiation. Looking forward to my new truck. Should be here in 4 more weeks approx.

X plan is higher than it used to be - by $275. It used to be under dealer invoice. The other benefits are the $100 cap on doc fees (these can be as high as $400-$600) and additional rebates (usually in cases where there is dealer cash available - x plan buyer gets the dealer cash, not the dealer).

It's still a fair price and an easy way to buy a vehicle without haggling and without fear of being ripped off.

I don't know how the process works behind the scenes, but.....One person explained that essentially the x-plan discount is coming directly from Ford, so to the dealer it is as if you went in and paid sticker for the truck. If that is accurate, it would explain why they gave me so much for a 10 year old Explorer, with many problems. My calculations are based on retail, but the dealership would have to put in about $1500 just to bring the SUV up to good condition (so wholesale would be maybe 1/2 that?). This is not including the cosmetic issues, which there were many. I can't see anybody with a brain paying $3500 for that vehicle.

I don't know how the process works behind the scenes, but.....One person explained that essentially the x-plan discount is coming directly from Ford, so to the dealer it is as if you went in and paid sticker for the truck. If that is accurate, it would explain why they gave me so much for a 10 year old Explorer, with many problems. My calculations are based on retail, but the dealership would have to put in about $1500 just to bring the SUV up to good condition (so wholesale would be maybe 1/2 that?). This is not including the cosmetic issues, which there were many. I can't see anybody with a brain paying $3500 for that vehicle.

That's not correct. X plan is roughly $150 over dealer invoice plus $100 doc fee. The dealer still keeps the 3% holdback and they get a spiff check from Ford for each plan sale (A/Z/X/D) that's usually a few hundred bucks. That spiff check doesn't make it anywhere close to MSRP.

That's not correct. X plan is roughly $150 over dealer invoice plus $100 doc fee. The dealer still keeps the 3% holdback and they get a spiff check from Ford for each plan sale (A/Z/X/D) that's usually a few hundred bucks. That spiff check doesn't make it anywhere close to MSRP.

I might be misunderstanding what you are saying or you might be misunderstanding what I am saying either way. The price would not be close to MSRP. How it was explained to me is the discount came off the listed invoice price, but the profit level for the dealership was still at the same. Or are in the last sentence when you say "it" are you referring to the profit not the price?

I might be misunderstanding what you are saying or you might be misunderstanding what I am saying either way. The price would not be close to MSRP. How it was explained to me is the discount came off the listed invoice price, but the profit level for the dealership was still at the same. Or are in the last sentence when you say "it" are you referring to the profit not the price?

Here is what you quoted from someone else:

One person explained that essentially the x-plan discount is coming directly from Ford, so to the dealer it is as if you went in and paid sticker for the truck.

When you say someone paid "sticker" that means MSRP. If you meant that the dealer still makes about the same profit on a plan sale that they do on a regular sale (which is nowhere close to MSRP) then that would be closer to being correct.

E.g. I just looked at an Escape where the difference between X plan price and MSRP was roughly $1450. X plan is roughly $150 over invoice and the dealer gets a spiff check from Ford on top of that for a few hundred (let's say $400). So the dealer makes $550 over invoice which is probably what they would make on a non plan sale, but it's $900 less than MSRP.

• 2 weeks later...