What to buy... Titanium Handling? Nav?

jtrump

Well I think I'm pretty much sold on the 2012 Focus. I don't want to order without driving one, but I've heard nothing but good things about them so I'm probably going to jizz in my pants when I drive it and order ASAP after that.

I'm trying to decide what I want to order.

I am FOR SURE getting a 5 dr Titanium, with 401A, moonroof, and winter package.

Nav I was thinking about, but as I understand it, you're paying $800 for software (you already have the screen, the voice commands, etc), and you don't get lifetime updates? What the crap? I could buy several Garmins for $800.

Not sure about the Titanium Handling package. Anything that makes the Focus more sporty sounds cool. But I live in Central IL, and we do have winters. I'm not sure summer tires would cut it. And I'm not sure I want to be switching out tires twice a year. Anyone have any opinions on the value of this package?

I also have not decided on color. I don't want any color with a $395 or $495 charge on it, unless it looks flat out amazing or it's more durable. I haven't seen the colors yet, so who knows. I'm leaning towards Kona Blue, I'm a blue kinda guy, but haven't seen it yet. I'll probably just pick something when I figure everything else out.

Well I think I'm pretty much sold on the 2012 Focus. I don't want to order without driving one, but I've heard nothing but good things about them so I'm probably going to jizz in my pants when I drive it and order ASAP after that.

I'm trying to decide what I want to order.

I am FOR SURE getting a 5 dr Titanium, with 401A, moonroof, and winter package.

Nav I was thinking about, but as I understand it, you're paying $800 for software (you already have the screen, the voice commands, etc), and you don't get lifetime updates? What the crap? I could buy several Garmins for $800.

Not sure about the Titanium Handling package. Anything that makes the Focus more sporty sounds cool. But I live in Central IL, and we do have winters. I'm not sure summer tires would cut it. And I'm not sure I want to be switching out tires twice a year. Anyone have any opinions on the value of this package?

I also have not decided on color. I don't want any color with a $395 or $495 charge on it, unless it looks flat out amazing or it's more durable. I haven't seen the colors yet, so who knows. I'm leaning towards Kona Blue, I'm a blue kinda guy, but haven't seen it yet. I'll probably just pick something when I figure everything else out.

The navigation system also utilizes Sirius Travel Link, and if I recall that also requires a subscription. So, take that $800, and add in subscription fees for that aspect. If you like the stock look and don't want a Garmin or TomTom dangling from your windshield, then you opt for the navigation system.

For the Titanium Handling package, it really depends. For what's included in the package (18-inch rims, tires, different suspension tuning and some components), those who value handling in a car will probably go for it. Tires and rims that size can usually be at least $500 or more, especially with the Michelins used on the package. I believe the stock Titanium and SE with Sport Package come with an already tuned suspension compared to the other models. The Focus suspension has always been a great setup, even back in 2000. Having something "sound" cool is a lot different than "living with it" cool. You could find maybe that having the package is a bit too harsh, or maybe if you go for a standard Titanium the ride is a bit to soft. It might be best to see if you can test drive both setups before making a decision.

That all being said, if you're in a state or province that sees winter, you WILL need winter tires with the Titanium Handling package - no ifs, ands, or buts. For me, I run dedicated winter tires during winter months, so this really isn't an issue for me for any vehicle I drive. Even though you may think having to change to winter tires is a hassle, think of it this way: You spread the wear over two sets of tires, you have tires that work great in the conditions they were designed versus being a compromise, and you save wear and tear on your stock rims.

Changing wheels and tires twice a year isn't all that hard. Discount Tire does it for free when you buy wheels and/or tires from them. It's easy, and winter tires perform MUCH better in winter than any all-season tire, especially if you go with aggressive M+S tires as I have done the last several years. I've used winter tires for many years, and I will never go back to using all-season in Michigan winters. I am a car nut. I highly value good handling and steering precision and feel/feedback. I opted for the Titanium Handling Package. For the cost, it's a steal. You get the very cool looking 18" wheels (much better looking than the standard Titanium wheels in IMO), P235 summer-only tires (wider than my RX-8 came with stock), and tweaked suspension components. According to Car & Driver the car does 0.96g of lateral acceleration with the THP. That's amazing. It's better than the RX-8, Camaro, and many other sports and performance cars in OEM condition. Considering Ford wanted almost $2000 for the 17" wheel option for the Fiesta when I was looking at that car, the $600 they want for the THP is an amazing deal. I plan to buy some cheap ($120 each or so) 17" wheels from Discount Tire with aggressive winter tires next fall for my Focus. To me the main stumbling block for separate winter tires and wheels is having the place to store the other set of wheels and tires. I put them in the (locked) shed in my back yard.

You should be able to go to any Ford dealership and at least test drive the SE model NOW!! Congrats and good luck with the negotiations. Push for a good deal.

XPlan pricing seems to be pretty good. What do you think? Is it reasonable to expect to get under invoice on a car this new?

The navigation system also utilizes Sirius Travel Link, and if I recall that also requires a subscription. So, take that $800, and add in subscription fees for that aspect. If you like the stock look and don't want a Garmin or TomTom dangling from your windshield, then you opt for the navigation system.For the Titanium Handling package, it really depends. For what's included in the package (18-inch rims, tires, different suspension tuning and some components), those who value handling in a car will probably go for it. Tires and rims that size can usually be at least $500 or more, especially with the Michelins used on the package. I believe the stock Titanium and SE with Sport Package come with an already tuned suspension compared to the other models. The Focus suspension has always been a great setup, even back in 2000. Having something "sound" cool is a lot different than "living with it" cool. You could find maybe that having the package is a bit too harsh, or maybe if you go for a standard Titanium the ride is a bit to soft. It might be best to see if you can test drive both setups before making a decision.That all being said, if you're in a state or province that sees winter, you WILL need winter tires with the Titanium Handling package - no ifs, ands, or buts. For me, I run dedicated winter tires during winter months, so this really isn't an issue for me for any vehicle I drive. Even though you may think having to change to winter tires is a hassle, think of it this way: You spread the wear over two sets of tires, you have tires that work great in the conditions they were designed versus being a compromise, and you save wear and tear on your stock rims.

I really can't see myself going for Nav. I don't take road trips that often, and it's not like I would need GPS every single day. So I won't have to stare at a Garmin on my windshield all the time. I can buy A LOT of Garmins for what they want for Navigation.

As for the handling package... hopefully one will come in with what I want, but right now they seem to be pretty rare. Maybe I can make myself wait. A town about 30 miles or so away will be getting the car I want exactly, plus Titanium Handling Package... I could always try that one IF it comes in before I make my decision.

EDIT: Storing the tires is no problem. I have a 2 car garage (and one car) and plenty of basement. And work too. Is it a better idea to get a second set of wheels too? I guess I had not considered that yet.

Edited by jtrump

I also choose to purchase the Handling package because it is great deal for $500! The other reason for my choice was because I live in Canada, and have to put winter tires on the car anyways...so why not have great performance tires for the best time of year!!

I'm leaning towards Kona Blue, I'm a blue kinda guy, but haven't seen it yet. I'll probably just pick something when I figure everything else out.

Kona blue looks awesome on this car..saw a base SE at a local dealer and it was stunning..the Build & Price website cannot even come close to how beautiful this color is on the Focus.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the handling package because I prefer to have as direct a handling experience as I can get. I also tend to prefer firmer suspension setup. I would love to know more about the exact differences between the stock Titanium Sport suspension and the handling package version if anyone has that info.

Regarding the tires - it does seem wise to swap out the wheels for a winter setup if you need to deal with snow. Here in Arizona there's not much to worry about in that regard (at least in/around Phoenix). It's warm and dry or hot and dry - with an occasional monsoon. Performance tires have been working fine here all year round.

One note about the color - don't write off paying a few hundred extra for the metallic tri-coat options. I saw the white tri-coat on a Fusion and it was a dramatic improvement in how the car looked. Your car of course, but for me it was a no-brainer. Good luck!

I ordered the handling package because I prefer to have as direct a handling experience as I can get. I also tend to prefer firmer suspension setup. I would love to know more about the exact differences between the stock Titanium Sport suspension and the handling package version if anyone has that info.

You can check fordparts.com for a variety of parts info. They show 3 different front/rear shock absorbers - Shock Absorber with Standard Suspension, Shock Absorber with Handling Suspension, and Shock Absorber with Touring Suspension. They also show 3 different front/rear springs - Front Springs: BV61-5310-MD, BV61-5310-NF, BV61-5310-NG; Rear Springs: BV61-5560-MD, BV61-5560-NF, BV61-5560-NG. Different front lower control arms - one for 15" wheels and one for 16" 17" wheels (did I miss the 18"?). Different suspension knuckles - one for 15" 16" 17" wheels and one for 18" wheels.

XPlan pricing seems to be pretty good. What do you think? Is it reasonable to expect to get under invoice on a car this new?

Not likely. With X plan the dealer gets an extra spiff check from Ford. You'd be doing good to get $500 over invoice right now due to short supply and high demand.

You can check fordparts.com for a variety of parts info. They show 3 different front/rear shock absorbers - Shock Absorber with Standard Suspension, Shock Absorber with Handling Suspension, and Shock Absorber with Touring Suspension. They also show 3 different front/rear springs - Front Springs: BV61-5310-MD, BV61-5310-NF, BV61-5310-NG; Rear Springs: BV61-5560-MD, BV61-5560-NF, BV61-5560-NG. Different front lower control arms - one for 15" wheels and one for 16" 17" wheels (did I miss the 18"?). Different suspension knuckles - one for 15" 16" 17" wheels and one for 18" wheels.

Aha - thanks for for that!

The navigation system also utilizes Sirius Travel Link, and if I recall that also requires a subscription. So, take that $800, and add in subscription fees for that aspect. If you like the stock look and don't want a Garmin or TomTom dangling from your windshield, then you opt for the navigation system..

Well I'd assume that the Sirius TravelLink should have a free subscription period to it...that should be 3-6 months long (IIRC thats how long Sirius is) Plus the only thing it would affect is getting realtime updates of weather, gas prices, etc...wouldn't affect the usage of the Nav unit otherwise

As for the handling package...why not buy it and replace the tires with High Performance All Season tires when they are wore out? IIRC Summer performance tires are lucky to last 20-30K and All Season ones should last longer. I did this with my SVT Focus and it was SO much better in the snow vs the Summer tires and didn't give up much if anything in the handling dept.

Well I'd assume that the Sirius TravelLink should have a free subscription period to it...that should be 3-6 months long (IIRC thats how long Sirius is) Plus the only thing it would affect is getting realtime updates of weather, gas prices, etc...wouldn't affect the usage of the Nav unit otherwise

As for the handling package...why not buy it and replace the tires with High Performance All Season tires when they are wore out? IIRC Summer performance tires are lucky to last 20-30K and All Season ones should last longer. I did this with my SVT Focus and it was SO much better in the snow vs the Summer tires and didn't give up much if anything in the handling dept.

The Michelin PS3s that are part of the Titanium HP have a UTQG treadwear rating of 320 which is pretty darn good for an ultra high-performance summer tire. As another contributor mentioned elsewhere, the THP option is an outstanding bargain considering the $300 unit retail price of these tires.

The Michelin PS3s that are part of the Titanium HP have a UTQG treadwear rating of 320 which is pretty darn good for an ultra high-performance summer tire. As another contributor mentioned elsewhere, the THP option is an outstanding bargain considering the $300 unit retail price of these tires.

That's because you're only paying the difference between those tires and the stock tires (and wheels) as opposed to you buying them and swapping them after the vehicle is purchased.

Just for kicks I went through the parts listing and identified parts differences between Titanium and T.Handling to see what the overall parts cost difference would be. Factoring in wheels and tires too it comes out to a raw parts cost difference of $1100 (that's using tirerack's tire costs). So for $595 you get $1100 worth of upgrades. Not a bad deal!!

Titanium Handling Package is still a raging bargain. You're not just getting tires. You're also getting the 18" wheels (keep in mind that Ford wanted $1995 for 17" wheels for the Fiesta when I was pricing one out shortly after they were released) and different suspension components (that may or may not be more expensive than the normal Titanium components). I'm just impressed with both the results of the THP and the fact that Ford kept the price reasonable. It seems like often with wheel/tire packages, the manufacturers ask absurd prices compared with what you can get aftermarket. I checked into the price of a set of those black and silver (machined) 17" wheels from my dealer to use for winter, and they wanted something like $400 *each*. I spent $420 each for my Rays Engineering forged 18x8.5" wheels for my RX-8. No way I'm paying the same amount, or nearly so, for cast 17" OEM wheels.