Few technical questions for other 2012 owners

svtenthusiast

I have noticed something with my Focus Titanium Sedan that I wonder if anyone else has had happen. Within mere seconds of starting my car in the morning or after it has been sitting at work all day the engine temp gauge goes from cold to normal operating temperature within 10-30 seconds of starting the car. I find it had to believe that the engine is warming up that fast. It never goes above about half way which I am guessing is the normal operating temp.

Anyone else noticed this or is my car the exception?

If the fog lights are activated by a digital switch as in the Focus, they will not come on automatically as emerrill already stated. I haven't owned a car in many years that let you you keep the fog lights on all the time. They are not meant to be used all the time. They are FOG lights, not supplemental headlights or even driving lights.

I was talking with my mechanic the other day and he informed me that the oil filter should catch any little bits, but that it was good and safe to switch to full synthetic at around 2000km or so.

That's good to hear. My 2012 will be my first brand-spankin'-new car purchase. Since everything I've had up to now has been previously owned, I've never head to deal with the "new car break-in" stuff. The research I've been doing seems to mention a lot of the conventional wisdom regarding how to break in a new car and why has fallen by the wayside since the newer machines have parts made from materials with higher tolerances and all that good stuff. However, I'd still imagine you'd get some of that "new car dirt" inside as everything is adapting to itself (pistons/cylinders/rings, etc.). I became curious about how soon that first oil change should come. Can't hurt to be more safe than sorry, I'd assume.

Sounds like it's still a good idea to try to have varying rates of RPM for the first 1000 miles or so, as well. Lot's of stop & go traffic for me in my daily work commute, so that should not be an issue for me at all. :)

Also looking into care for the paint and interior. I've never waxed a car in my life.. but this is a vehicle I'll be wanting to take care of a much as possible. :read:

That's good to hear. My 2012 will be my first brand-spankin'-new car purchase. Since everything I've had up to now has been previously owned, I've never head to deal with the "new car break-in" stuff. The research I've been doing seems to mention a lot of the conventional wisdom regarding how to break in a new car and why has fallen by the wayside since the newer machines have parts made from materials with higher tolerances and all that good stuff. However, I'd still imagine you'd get some of that "new car dirt" inside as everything is adapting to itself (pistons/cylinders/rings, etc.). I became curious about how soon that first oil change should come. Can't hurt to be more safe than sorry, I'd assume.

Sounds like it's still a good idea to try to have varying rates of RPM for the first 1000 miles or so, as well. Lot's of stop & go traffic for me in my daily work commute, so that should not be an issue for me at all. :)

Also looking into care for the paint and interior. I've never waxed a car in my life.. but this is a vehicle I'll be wanting to take care of a much as possible. :read:

Congratulations on your new Ford Focus, Oroborus!

• First Oil Change: This should be performed when the message center in your car displays "ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE". Maximum interval is 10,000 mi. or 1 year.
  • Caring for the paint and interior: When you take delivery of your new car, specify to the dealer to NOT wash and/or detail it. This task is best done as a DIY job. Follow the guidelines contained in the "Cleaning" section of the Owner's Guide (in the U.S. 2012 Focus manual, 2nd printing, this starts on p. 327). Also, the websites for Meguiar's, Mothers, and Turtle Wax all have excellent instructional videos on these topics.

Congratulations on your new Ford Focus, Oroborus!

• First Oil Change: This should be performed when the message center in your car displays "ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE". Maximum interval is 10,000 mi. or 1 year.
  • Caring for the paint and interior: When you take delivery of your new car, specify to the dealer to NOT wash and/or detail it. This task is best done as a DIY job. Follow the guidelines contained in the "Cleaning" section of the Owner's Guide (in the U.S. 2012 Focus manual, 2nd printing, this starts on p. 327). Also, the websites for Meguiar's, Mothers, and Turtle Wax all have excellent instructional videos on these topics.

Thanks for the tips! Is the DIY process very involved? I've got a bit of a disability which can make moving around and bending over for longer periods of time a bit uncomfortable and sometimes painful. What about taking it directly to a wash/wax/detailing place? Would that be better than the dealer's prep work at least?

Edit: (I haven't check those sites or the video tutorials yet.. just thought I'd toss that out there. I'm 6'6", and usually cleaning a car takes more bending over from my height than the "average" person..)

Edited by Oroborus

Thanks for the tips! Is the DIY process very involved? I've got a bit of a disability which can make moving around and bending over for longer periods of time a bit uncomfortable and sometimes painful. What about taking it directly to a wash/wax/detailing place? Would that be better than the dealer's prep work at least?

Absolutely but use a detailer, not just a cheap wash/wax place.

Got it... local car wash: out. Reputable spot that specializes in detailing: in. Thanks!

Sounds like you're all set! The main thing (if not going the DIY route) is to do business with a place you trust and is actually knowledgeable about automotive detailing. Your local car wash fulfills that criterion. :shades:

Based on my past experiences, I would definitely not trust personnel typically assigned to "detail" vehicles at new car dealerships. Some of what I've seen with new vehicle prep (washing/cleaning, specifically) made me go :o and :banghead:

Based on what my mechanic was telling me, I would not recommend following the 10,000km/mi oil changes unless you are running premium fuel. Cleaner fuel keeps the oil cleaner longer, and this is why the luxury cars all run premium just like in Europe.

Congrats on your first new car!!! This is mine as well. I am able to do all of my own detailing, but have never used a buffing machine so took my baby to the best detailer in town to be polished and sealed.

Focus1.jpg

Based on what my mechanic was telling me, I would not recommend following the 10,000km/mi oil changes unless you are running premium fuel. Cleaner fuel keeps the oil cleaner longer, and this is why the luxury cars all run premium just like in Europe.

Congrats on your first new car!!! This is mine as well. I am able to do all of my own detailing, but have never used a buffing machine so took my baby to the best detailer in town to be polished and sealed.

Focus1.jpg

That looks great. I don't seem to have noticed anyone posting pics of a Platinum White model yet. Maybe I'll be the first (or I just haven't stumbled across the right post(s) yet!).. :P Still waiting to hear on a delivery date. Apparently it'll take about 11 days to get to the dealer once it's on the train..? :/

That looks great. I don't seem to have noticed anyone posting pics of a Platinum White model yet. Maybe I'll be the first (or I just haven't stumbled across the right post(s) yet!).. :P Still waiting to hear on a delivery date. Apparently it'll take about 11 days to get to the dealer once it's on the train..? :/

You should be happy it only takes 11 days once it gets on the train to get to you! lol

I've seen some people on here wait 3+ weeks once it gets on the train. Personally I'm going to be about 15 days for mine, assuming no delays and I get it around the ETA.

You should be happy it only takes 11 days once it gets on the train to get to you! lol

I've seen some people on here wait 3+ weeks once it gets on the train. Personally I'm going to be about 15 days for mine, assuming no delays and I get it around the ETA.

I suppose that's true, and my wait seems a bit trivial compared to the folks who ordered earlier this year, or even late 2010. I just get impatient. I do all my research, weigh everything out, and once I've made a decision, I want it NOW. haha I guess it all comes down to my unfamiliarity with the entire process. I'm a big noob, and curios about everything, even the stuff that doesn't impact when or how my vehicle gets to me. It's all interesting.

Edit: and I DID hear about an ETA today.. Monday, June 20. :drool:

Edited by Oroborus

That's an urban myth. Premium is no cleaner than regular. The only difference is the octane rating. The recommended intervals are fine on regular.

• Like 1

That's an urban myth. Premium is no cleaner than regular. The only difference is the octane rating. The recommended intervals are fine on regular.

Good to know. But what about that first change? Would you wait up to 10,000 for that first change, or give it a rinse around 1-2,000 and go every 10,000 or so after that?

Good to know. But what about that first change? Would you wait up to 10,000 for that first change, or give it a rinse around 1-2,000 and go every 10,000 or so after that?

Yet another urban myth. You can change it early if you want but the mfr doesn't say it's necessary and they're standing behind it for 60k-100k miles depending on the warranty level. Not really necessary with modern engines.

• Like 1

Yet another urban myth. You can change it early if you want but the mfr doesn't say it's necessary and they're standing behind it for 60k-100k miles depending on the warranty level. Not really necessary with modern engines.

Very cool. I guess I'll just wait for the car to tell me it's time then. :rockon:

Some luxury and performance cars require premium gasoline so that engine ignition timing can be advanced to make more power from the higher octane gasoline. Our Focuses are also capable of advancing timing when premium gasoline is used, but I wish I knew how much more power Ford gets out of the 2.0L GDI engine with 93 octane. I'm guessing that it's a fairly conservative and safe 5 hp or so. I would think that a 6 octane increase would be good for about 10 hp out of this engine without any risk to the engine. I would gladly pay 20 cents more per gallon for 10 more hp.