Few technical questions for other 2012 owners

svtenthusiast

Here's another technical question. The navigation system is "loaded" into the SD card from my understanding. Does that mean, if I have the MFT, but didn't opt for the nav, would I be able to purchase the SD card with the software and then use the nav feature?

Theoretically yes, that's the plan, but Ford hasn't made the Nav card and activation sequence a dealer installed option yet. Maybe next year.

Theoretically yes, that's the plan, but Ford hasn't made the Nav card and activation sequence a dealer installed option yet. Maybe next year.

I don't anticipate needing the nav, but if I keep this car for a few years, you never know, I may have a greater use for a nav system then. Maybe just a good reason to upgrade again if I need nav if they don't offer it. lol Thanks for the info too!

I think the problem is 'it's complcated'. You would probably have to time the interval between wiper runs, and if more then x occur in x min, then turn them on, and then turn them off if none have occurred in X sec, otherwise they would be turning on and off all the time. Not saying it wouldn't be easy to do, but it may not be the behavior they were looking for.

Here is what is supposed to happen. Hopefully this will be fixed with an update. Is this happening with anyone else's?

I also notice that when I activate the fog lamps when autolamp is on, the next time autolamp activates the fog lamps are off.

Wiper Activated Headlamps

If equipped with automatic headlamps, the BCM illuminates the exterior lamps within 10 seconds of the windshield wipers being activated by the wiper/washer switch when the headlamp control switch is in the AUTOLAMP position. The BCM continues to illuminate the exterior lamps for approximately 30 seconds after the windshield wipers have been turned off.

If equipped with rain sensitive wipers (feature must be enabled through the message center) and the wiper/washer switch is in one of the 5 auto/intermittent settings, the BCM illuminates the exterior lamps within 30 seconds of the windshield wipers being activated by moisture detected on the windshield when the headlamp control switch is in the AUTOLAMP position. The BCM continues to illuminate the exterior lamps for approximately 60 seconds after the windshield wipers have been deactivated (moisture no longer detected on the windshield).

...I also notice that when I activate the fog lamps when autolamp is on, the next time autolamp activates the fog lamps are off.

I tried this this morning on my way to work. I had the fog lamps on (lamps in auto), made a stop - shut down, exited the car and locked it. When I returned and restarted the vehicle, the fog lamps came on along with the low beams. I'm pleased about this because I prefer a lot of illumination and without the option of HID or at this point even aftermarket lamps like SilverStar Ultras, the fog lamps help quite a bit.

I tried this this morning on my way to work. I had the fog lamps on (lamps in auto), made a stop - shut down, exited the car and locked it. When I returned and restarted the vehicle, the fog lamps came on along with the low beams. I'm pleased about this because I prefer a lot of illumination and without the option of HID or at this point even aftermarket lamps like SilverStar Ultras, the fog lamps help quite a bit.

One of my biggest concerns about the Focus is the headlights - hoping they're much better than my 2010 Fusion. This doesn't give me a lot of hope....

The Fusion low beams are the auto-version of CFLs. (And, yes, they are aligned correctly.)

I tried this this morning on my way to work. I had the fog lamps on (lamps in auto), made a stop - shut down, exited the car and locked it. When I returned and restarted the vehicle, the fog lamps came on along with the low beams...

And now I don't know what's going on. Got home and the auto lamps activated inside the garage but the fog lamps did not come on. Anybody else test this yet?

Another technical issue: Uploading wallpaper image files. Anybody try this yet? I keep getting "Import error" when attempting to import .jpg files from a USB thumb drive even though the filenames and extensions display correctly on the system screen. Files are within the specified parameters. I've tried two different thumb drives. I'm going to try different file types next.

I did figure out something new today, which makes me feel better about my concern of no accessory mode on the cars with the IA key.

You can turn on the radio by pushing the radio's power button, without the ignition being on, without a key.

From the manual:

One hour mode: Press the ON/OFF control to operate the system with

the ignition turned off; the system will automatically turn off after one

hour

Edited by svtenthusiast

And now I don't know what's going on. Got home and the auto lamps activated inside the garage but the fog lamps did not come on. Anybody else test this yet?

Yep, when I posted originally, I left out the detail that it "sometimes" works. Maybe once or twice they will come back on--on their own, but more often they don't.

Problem is, it's not like a "switch". The fog lamp control is done over the communicaton network bus of the car, so it's pure programming glitch.

Another technical issue: Uploading wallpaper image files. Anybody try this yet? I keep getting "Import error" when attempting to import .jpg files from a USB thumb drive even though the filenames and extensions display correctly on the system screen. Files are within the specified parameters. I've tried two different thumb drives. I'm going to try different file types next.

I have not tried yet, have been working though all these other things first. Maybe I can look into this soon.

A little technical tidbit for everyone. Wonder where the outside temperature sensor is? Cleverly placed inside the right passenger outside mirror. Look at the bottom housing of the mirror, facing the ground, and you will see a "tip" of plastic that is not present in the bottom of the driver's mirror. That is the tip of the outside air temperature sensor. No chance of engine heat messing up the reading like when they used to mount them in front of the radiator.

• Like 1

A little technical tidbit for everyone. Wonder where the outside temperature sensor is? Cleverly placed inside the right passenger outside mirror. Look at the bottom housing of the mirror, facing the ground, and you will see a "tip" of plastic that is not present in the bottom of the driver's mirror. That is the tip of the outside air temperature sensor. No chance of engine heat messing up the reading like when they used to mount them in front of the radiator.

Interesting. I was wondering about that little nib. Thanks.

Very interesting. I was giving mine a wash yesterday, noticed the nub and was wondering what it was. I thought it was the spindle the folding mirrors turned on. Now I know.

Yeah, I loaded about 25 of them in. All are .jpg, no spaces in the filenames, each is less than 500KB, were in the root folder of the USB (otherwise it didnt find them).

I did figure out something new today, which makes me feel better about my concern of no accessory mode on the cars with the IA key.

You can turn on the radio by pushing the radio's power button, without the ignition being on, without a key.

From the manual:

hour

My 2003 Focus ZX3 had that option...no key just hit the radio but and listo! radio is on for an hour. My mom's 2002 Focus has the lower grade radio, yet has the same feature. Have you tried out the Interior Illumination feature...it's supposed to kick on all of the interior lights so you can find that blasted flash drive you lost somewhere in the car!

Hey, and all of you, you have some pretty sharp rides. I'm sitting on the sidelines until the ST gets here...oh yeah!

Yeah, the illumination override feature is nice. Even more cool though is that the ambient lighting feature in the front doors changes color when you open the door from your preset color selection to RED, as a warning to oncoming drivers . It changes back to your preset color when you close the door. Pretty slick.

From the manual:

hour

That pretty much eliminates the need for an accessory mode. Pretty slick! Even more reasons to RTFM!

That pretty much eliminates the need for an accessory mode. Pretty slick! Even more reasons to RTFM!

Yes, I have read the manual, but I scanned over this because it's actually only in the standard radio section of the main manual. The MyFord touch manual is seperate and does not say anything about this "one hour mode".

They need a seperated manual for Focus MyFord touch. Right now it doesn't reflect all the functional changes between the Focus system and the Explorer/Edge system.

Yes, I have read the manual, but I scanned over this because it's actually only in the standard radio section of the main manual. The MyFord touch manual is seperate and does not say anything about this "one hour mode".

They need a seperated manual for Focus MyFord touch. Right now it doesn't reflect all the functional changes between the Focus system and the Explorer/Edge system.

The RTFM wasn't directed at you per se - I was just reiterating that there are a lot of new features that can be found by looking in the owner's manual since most people don't read it.

The RTFM wasn't directed at you per se - I was just reiterating that there are a lot of new features that can be found by looking in the owner's manual since most people don't read it.

In the past, I've been that person to not read the manuel, unless I had a problem. I always liked just tinkering around until i found a solution, but with this car, being I'm waiting 6-8 weeks for it, I'm going through the thing cover to cover.

Hey, another anomaly. When driving to work I had the wipers in the rain sensing mode. By the time I got to work the rain had stopped so the wipers detected this and turned off, and went into the "park" position. After work, I started the car, and the wiper switch was still in the rain sensing mode, sun was out and no moisture on the windshield. The wipers turned on and wiped a dry windshield and I quickly turned them off so the window wouldn't get scratched.

Can someone cofirm if they leave the wiper switch in the rain sensing position that they will turn the wipers on upon restarting the car, even if the windshield is dry?

Can someone confirm my previous question if the autolamps are on and the wiper switch is in the rain sensing mode, and rainlamp is selected in your message center, do your headlamps come on while the wipers are in operation?

Thanks.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Hey, another anomaly. When driving to work I had the wipers in the rain sensing mode. By the time I got to work the rain had stopped so the wipers detected this and turned off, and went into the "park" position. After work, I started the car, and the wiper switch was still in the rain sensing mode, sun was out and no moisture on the windshield. The wipers turned on and wiped a dry windshield and I quickly turned them off so the window wouldn't get scratched.

Can someone cofirm if they leave the wiper switch in the rain sensing position that they will turn the wipers on upon restarting the car, even if the windshield is dry?

Can someone confirm my previous question if the autolamps are on and the wiper switch is in the rain sensing mode, and rainlamp is selected in your message center, do your headlamps come on while the wipers are in operation?

Thanks.

I have seen the same behaviour. It does one wipe when I start the car if it is in auto mode.

My experience with Ford/Lincoln rain sensing wipers is that if you leave the system on, you may occasionally get a dry wipe cycle upon vehicle start up. In fact, IIRC, in the LS OG, it mentions the possibility of that happening. Hence, I never leave the wipers in auto mode.

As I read the Focus OG, headlamps will activate shortly after rain sensing wipers activate regardless of ambient light levels. Gen II LSes worked the same way.

I have seen the same behaviour. It does one wipe when I start the car if it is in auto mode.

My experience with Ford/Lincoln rain sensing wipers is that if you leave the system on, you may occasionally get a dry wipe cycle upon vehicle start up. In fact, IIRC, in the LS OG, it mentions the possibility of that happening. Hence, I never leave the wipers in auto mode.

Doesn't seem like it should. Owner's manual doesn't say yes or no. Doesn't it seem like we should be able to leave it in auto mode?

As I read the Focus OG, headlamps will activate shortly after rain sensing wipers activate regardless of ambient light levels. Gen II LSes worked the same way.

That's the problem, when I have the wipers in auto mode, and they are sensing rain and running the wipers, the headlamps are not coming on. Can someone confirm the same or otherwise?

Since this is a tech thread... my MFT radio/iPod/USB et al comes on every time I start the car, even when I've turned the radio off before shutting down the car, or listening after the car has been shut down and turning it off. Has anyone else experienced this or has anyone figured out how to turn off the radio so it stays off?

Also, my power windows work fine but the one touch up/down feature doesn't work on any window. It's not a issue that can be remedied here, I'm taking it in a week after I have the tint installed. Hopefully it's an easy programming or fuse fix, I'd rather not have the door panels removed.

Edit: I just read on Focus Fanatics someone had a re-flash to attempt to solve the radio on issue and it did not fix it. The tech said some bugs still need to be worked out and this might be one of them. Other than that my MFT has worked great with no hiccups, reboots or shut downs.

Edited by transitman