Few technical questions for other 2012 owners

svtenthusiast

Hey guys, I have been driving my 2012 Titanium sedan for about a week on my 80 mile to/from work route. This has given me some time to check over the details of the features of the car and how things work. I wondered if anyone else is experincing the same and/or can confirm the following on their 2012 Focus.

-It seems the outside temperature readout is about 5 degrees high. This is off consistantly all the time, either at idle or 60MPH. I also noticed it never displays odd numbers. For example it either shows 76, 78, 80 degrees. The MyFord Touch always matches the IP cluster temperature, so that's working OK.

-If the lights are on, and then are turned off during driving, the car icon in the message center still shows the lights and tail lights "glowing" until I do something else in the message center to refresh it. It has done this for the rear door, showing it open while driving, but only in the car icon, no message about it open, Again, it refreshed when i pushed a button for the message center.

-In the "settings" menu of the message center it doesn't show "hill start" under driver assist or "chimes" under settings as described in the owners manual.

-It doesn't have a "system reset" in the message center as described in the owners manual.

-The automatic climate control does not show "mono" on the lower climate control display when not in dual zone climate mode. It still shows both driver and passenger temperature, but they are locked together when you change the temputure for the drivers side. Functionally, it works like it should, but it's operating different than the owners manual discribes.

-Using the "intelligent access" to start the car, it doesn't seem like there is an "accessory" mode to just play the radio, etc. When you push the start button without holding the brake, it turns the ignition on, but also all the dash lights and climate control comes on without the engine running. The owners manual in the "starting" section doesn't show an accessory mode, but other areas of the manual do seem like it should have an accessory mode. The Taurus with the IA key has the accessory mode, so I am suprised the Focus wouldn't have this capability.

-The rear dome lamp does not have a button for the rear passengers to activate it, as described in the owners manual.

-When the car was delivered off the truck, we couldn't find a key code number attached to the keys or in the car anywhere. We figured since it had the IA keys and the backup key was hidden inside the IA transmitter, maybe it didn't have key codes. In the manual, it says the IA keys should have a key code.

I am thinking some of these items are just misprinted in the owners manual, since the manual is in the first printing. They will probably revise these in the second printing, maybe they decided to change some of these functions as the car went into production.

Can you guys confirm the same or otherwise?

Other than this, I am loving the features of the car and the fuel economy. I am very impressed in the amenties, content, quietness and quality for a car in this price range and segment. Good job Ford!

Thanks!

Edited by svtenthusiast

Wow, your drive is almost exactly the same length as mine. My drive from my home in Lansing to my place of work in Auburn Hills is 85 miles each way. Fortunately, I get to work from home two days a week.

I'm curious to see if my Focus will also have these "quirks" when (if?) I get it.

-It seems the temperature readout is about 5 degrees high. This is off consistantly all the time, either at idle or 60MPH. I also noticed it never displays odd numbers. For example it either shows 76, 78, 80 degrees. The MyFord Touch always matches the IP cluster temperature, so that's working OK.

Mine seems to be right on, with ~70 being comfortable. Mine moves in 1º increments

-If the lights are on, and then are turned off during driving, the car icon in the message center still shows the lights and tail lights "glowing" until I do something else in the message center to refresh it. It has done this for the rear door, showing it open while driving, but only in the car icon, no message about it open, Again, it refreshed when i pushed a button for the message center.

I'll check when I get my car back.

-In the "settings" menu of the message center it doesn't show "hill start" under driver assist or "chimes" under settings as described in the owners manual.

IIRC I have chimes settings, but hill start wasn't there, only traction control.

-It doesn't have a "system reset" in the message center as described in the owners manual.

Yeah, I don't remember seeing that, only the MFT master reset.

-The automatic climate control does not show "mono" on the lower climate control display when not in dual zone climate mode. It still shows both driver and passenger temperature, but they are locked together when you change the temputure for the drivers side. Functionally, it works like it should, but it's operating different than the owners manual discribes.

Correct, the display doesn't match their promo pics (even the big banner in my dealer has what appears to be the Euro control display. Mine always shows both, and they are locked together or not, there is no other way to see dual or single more.

-Using the "intelligent access" to start the car, it doesn't seem like there is an "accessory" mode to just play the radio, etc. When you push the start button without holding the brake, it turns the ignition on, but also all the dash lights and climate control comes on without the engine running. The owners manual in the "starting" section doesn't show an accessory mode, but other areas of the manual do seem like it should have an accessory mode. The Taurus with the IA key has the accessory mode, so I am suprised the Focus wouldn't have this capability.

Yeah, I haven't run across a way to put it in accessory mode yet, but I havent tried really hard.

-The rear dome lamp does not have a button for the rear passengers to activate it, as described in the owners manual.

Another one I'll have to look when I get my car back. Do you have a moon roof or not? That changes the lighting.

-When the car was delivered off the truck, we couldn't find a key code number attached to the keys or in the car anywhere. We figured since it had the IA keys and the backup key was hidden inside the IA transmitter, maybe it didn't have key codes. In the manual, it says the IA keys should have a key code.

Yeah, I never got a key code either, and one wasn't with my manual (where my previous dealer put mine).

I was actually also curious about the "accessory" mode. I don't want to have to have the car running to be able to play around with the radio and features to get accustomed to them!

The car doesn't have to be running, but all the lights on the dashboard and climate fan comes on, which I don't like.

Can you turn the car on, then back off and use the 10 minute accessory delay feature?

Probably would work, good point. But as soon as you open the door it will turn off the radio. The reason I usually want the radio on if I am cleaning the car with the doors open.

Mine seems to be right on, with ~70 being comfortable. Mine moves in 1º increments

If I am reading correctly, it sounds like you are talking about the climate control. Sorry I didn't specify, but I am talking about the outside temperature readout.

Another one I'll have to look when I get my car back. Do you have a moon roof or not? That changes the lighting.

I have a moonroof. Thanks for the replys.

-It seems the outside temperature readout is about 5 degrees high. This is off consistantly all the time, either at idle or 60MPH. I also noticed it never displays odd numbers. For example it either shows 76, 78, 80 degrees. The MyFord Touch always matches the IP cluster temperature, so that's working OK.

Thanks!

Outside temp reading did seem higher than I expected, too, but then I checked the weather and it has been higher than expected. My car is black, so thats worst case scenario, too, if its a matter of where the sensor is located.

No "hill start" in settings, but do have "chimes"

No reset, confirmed (guess its fuse if you have to).

Auto Climate does not show "mono", confirmed, but don't care.

Accessory mode does allow you to turn other things on, like climate, but I just turned climate off during my accessory mode personal MFT exploratory research session.

Rear dome with moonroof has no button controls, confirmed.

Key code number would be used for what?

Outside temp reading did seem higher than I expected, too, but then I checked the weather and it has been higher than expected. My car is black, so thats worst case scenario, too, if its a matter of where the sensor is located.

No "hill start" in settings, but do have "chimes"

No reset, confirmed (guess its fuse if you have to).

Auto Climate does not show "mono", confirmed, but don't care.

Accessory mode does allow you to turn other things on, like climate, but I just turned climate off during my accessory mode personal MFT exploratory research session.

Rear dome with moonroof has no button controls, confirmed.

Key code number would be used for what?

So thanks guys got some of this confirmed through your posts.

I think I will have to get the outside temperature checked, I will give it another week or so and see if it straightens out.

I wonder if the chimes setting is with the park assist? I didn't order the park assist on my car.

The key code number is used if you lose both your keys and need Ford to cut a new one without the original.

Hey guys, I have been driving my 2012 Titanium sedan for about a week on my 80 mile to/from work route. This has given me some time to check over the details of the features of the car and how things work. I wondered if anyone else is experincing the same and/or can confirm the following on their 2012 Focus.

I am thinking some of these items are just misprinted in the owners manual, since the manual is in the first printing. They will probably revise these in the second printing, maybe they decided to change some of these functions as the car went into production.

Can you guys confirm the same or otherwise?

Other than this, I am loving the features of the car and the fuel economy. I am very impressed in the amenties, content, quietness and quality for a car in this price range and segment. Good job Ford!

Thanks!

Great to hear about the drive (that's almost my drive too).

I just checked on www.flmowner.com, and there is a 2nd printing of the Owner's Manual.

Oh, and sorry to hijack, but can you folks also confirm that traction control can be turned off? I forgot to see during my test drives, and it's been an issue on the Fiesta (manual saying you can turn it off, but in reality you can't).

I just want to clarify, some care saying there is accessory mode, but I want to confirm if this is with the titanium model, or are you referring to the s/se/sel with an ignition with key? If responses were in regards to the titanium, how do you get into accessory mode? I don't have mine yet, but I'm sure I'll be spending plenty of time in the car to "play around", and would hate to have to have the vehicle running.

I just want to clarify, some care saying there is accessory mode, but I want to confirm if this is with the titanium model, or are you referring to the s/se/sel with an ignition with key? If responses were in regards to the titanium, how do you get into accessory mode? I don't have mine yet, but I'm sure I'll be spending plenty of time in the car to "play around", and would hate to have to have the vehicle running.

It looks like the references to accessory mode only apply to the normal ignition key, not the push button start.

That's what the original poster is wondering. He has a Titanium sedan. Accessory mode seems to be available only those with your "typical" key, and not with push-button start.

With the 2nd edition version of the manual, there isn't anything in there I saw that suggests there is an accessory mode with push-button start.

It looks like the references to accessory mode only apply to the normal ignition key, not the push button start.

Correct. With push button start, "accessory mode" is achieved by pressing the start button without depressing the brake pedal. This is not the usual "accessory mode" we are accustomed to when using a traditional key.

That's what the original poster is wondering. He has a Titanium sedan. Accessory mode seems to be available only those with your "typical" key, and not with push-button start.

With the 2nd edition version of the manual, there isn't anything in there I saw that suggests there is an accessory mode with push-button start.

That is quite a bit of a disappointment actually. When I test drove another vehicle with the push button once you were inside the vehicle with the key fob everything became functional. Hopefully that's something Ford might be able to develop with a software update, maybe that if you hold down the push button start for 2 seconds or so it goes into that accessory mode.

Great to hear about the drive (that's almost my drive too).

I just checked on www.flmowner.com, and there is a 2nd printing of the Owner's Manual.

Oh, and sorry to hijack, but can you folks also confirm that traction control can be turned off? I forgot to see during my test drives, and it's been an issue on the Fiesta (manual saying you can turn it off, but in reality you can't).

Yes, you can turn the traction control off through the message center, but the stability control stays active all the time.

Another oddity I found driving home from work in rain for the first time.

I have the rain sensing wipers and although it was not dark enough to active the automatic headlamps, there is a setting that turns the headlamps on whenever the wipers are activated.

When I had the wipers in the automatic, rain sensing position I noticed the headlamps were not on. The wipers were wiping consistantly, almost no delay at all, and the rain sensor was working adjusting the speed and delay of the wipers. The headlamp switch was in the autolamp position. When I moved the wiper switch to constant low or high, the headlamps turned on. I confirmed the "rainlamp" setting was activated in the message center.

It doesn't seem right that the headlamps wouldn't come on when the rain sensing wipers are doing their job. I like to have the headlamps on when it's raining even if it's light out, I will be disappointed if they programmed it to operate this way. When I looked it up in the owners manual, it says the headlamps will come on whenever the wipers are on, not specifing the "rain sensing" position.

Can someone confirm operation on their Titanium with rain sensing wipers?

Thanks.

I have the rain sensing wipers and although it was not dark enough to active the automatic headlamps, there is a setting that turns the headlamps on whenever the wipers are activated.

When I had the wipers in the automatic, rain sensing position I noticed the headlamps were not on. The wipers were wiping consistantly, almost no delay at all, and the rain sensor was working adjusting the speed and delay of the wipers. The headlamp switch was in the autolamp position. When I moved the wiper switch to constant low or high, the headlamps turned on. I confirmed the "rainlamp" setting was activated in the message center.

It doesn't seem right that the headlamps wouldn't come on when the rain sensing wipers are doing their job. I like to have the headlamps on when it's raining even if it's light out, I will be disappointed if they programmed it to operate this way. When I looked it up in the owners manual, it says the headlamps will come on whenever the wipers are on, not specifing the "rain sensing" position.

Thanks.

I'm pretty surprised the headlamps aren't on at all times. It seems most vehicles built within the past few years seem to have always on, or driving headlamps on at all times. Or maybe I'm noticing just the newer vehicles with headlamps always on.

Mine seems to be a bit warm too.

Temp seems to move in large increments for me too, my guess is that the temperature is actually measured in ºC (or maybe half ºC), and then converted to ºF. This causes a the temperature to jump more.

I'm pretty surprised the headlamps aren't on at all times. It seems most vehicles built within the past few years seem to have always on, or driving headlamps on at all times. Or maybe I'm noticing just the newer vehicles with headlamps always on.

Sounds like just a glitch in the software. I'm sure it will be corrected.

Most domestic makers don't do DRL, unless they are being shipped somewhere that requires them - like Canada. Most foreign mfgs put DRL on everything, because almost everywhere by the US requires them.

In fact, DRL is only a fleet option in the US. The Ford 500 was the same way, but you could give your dealer a few hundred dollars, and they would work with Ford Engineering to flash your car with the DRL code.

Edited by emerrill

Thanks.

I think the problem is 'it's complcated'. You would probably have to time the interval between wiper runs, and if more then x occur in x min, then turn them on, and then turn them off if none have occurred in X sec, otherwise they would be turning on and off all the time. Not saying it wouldn't be easy to do, but it may not be the behavior they were looking for.

^ just let the wipers turn the lights On, then

code: "IF LastWipe >= 10 mins-ago = Off"

maybe?

&

GM had (has?) DRL's on their cars for a long time

...during my accessory mode personal MFT exploratory research session...

OOoooooo, an AMP-MFT-ERS drool2.gif

I sooo wish I had a Focus to play with!

Edited by 2b2

^ code: "IF LastWipe >= 10 mins-ago = Off"

maybe?

&

GM had (has?) DRL's on their cars for a long time

OOoooooo, an AMP-MFT-ERS drool2.gif

I sooo wish I had a Focus to play with!

GM still has DRL in their cars. I have an '08 Impala with DRL when headlamps in auto mode, and both an aunt and uncle have GM vehicles that have DRL.

Here's another technical question. The navigation system is "loaded" into the SD card from my understanding. Does that mean, if I have the MFT, but didn't opt for the nav, would I be able to purchase the SD card with the software and then use the nav feature?