Few technical questions for other 2012 owners

svtenthusiast

i didn't read through the whole thread so sorry if someone already said this. but you can listen to the radio even with out the key. just press the radio power button and it will come on.

I did figure out something new today, which makes me feel better about my concern of no accessory mode on the cars with the IA key.

You can turn on the radio by pushing the radio's power button, without the ignition being on, without a key.

From the manual:

One hour mode: Press the ON/OFF control to operate the system with

the ignition turned off; the system will automatically turn off after one

hour

That's the problem, when I have the wipers in auto mode, and they are sensing rain and running the wipers, the headlamps are not coming on. Can someone confirm the same or otherwise?

There is a option in your menu that you have to turn on for the lights to come on with the auto wipers.

There is a option in your menu that you have to turn on for the lights to come on with the auto wipers.

Yes, and I stated above that the "rain light" selection in the message center is turned on.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Edited by svtenthusiast

Can someone cofirm if they leave the wiper switch in the rain sensing position that they will turn the wipers on upon restarting the car, even if the windshield is dry?

This is absolutely normal. when rain sense is selected, upon startup the wipers will sweep once as part of the module's self test process...this is not exclusive to Ford's system. GM's works that way as well.

Here's a question about Hill Start Assist (HSA).

HSA is supposedly an integral feature of the PowerShift transmission. According to the OG, HSA should be a driver selectable feature under Settings>Driver Assist along with Traction Control and Rear Park Aid on the instrument cluster menu. However, Hill Start does not appear on this menu in my vehicle; only TC and RPA are present. Neither is there a warning icon in the speedo field that should illuminate briefly at start up. Perhaps the ability to deactivate HSA was eliminated after the OG was printed. Could someone else please check their vehicle for HSA settings within the instrument cluster menu and report back?

The Etis report on my Focus states "With Hill Launch Assist".

Does anyone know how to reset the oil life monitor and where it is in the dash message center?

Resetting the oil life monitoring system

1. Turn the ignition key to the on position. Do not start the engine.

For vehicles with push-button start, press and hold the START/STOP

button for two seconds without pressing the brake pedal. Do not attempt

to start the engine.

2. Press both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.

3. Keep both pedals fully pressed.

4. After three seconds, the Service: Oil reset in prog. message will be

displayed.

5. After 25 seconds, the Service: Oil reset complete message will be

displayed.

6. Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.

7. The Service: Oil reset complete message will no longer be

displayed.

8. Rotate the key to the off position.

For vehicles with push-button start, press the START/STOP button to

turn the vehicle off completely.

Resetting the oil life monitoring system

1. Turn the ignition key to the on position. Do not start the engine.

For vehicles with push-button start, press and hold the START/STOP

button for two seconds without pressing the brake pedal. Do not attempt

to start the engine.

2. Press both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.

3. Keep both pedals fully pressed.

4. After three seconds, the Service: Oil reset in prog. message will be

displayed.

5. After 25 seconds, the Service: Oil reset complete message will be

displayed.

6. Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.

7. The Service: Oil reset complete message will no longer be

displayed.

8. Rotate the key to the off position.

For vehicles with push-button start, press the START/STOP button to

turn the vehicle off completely.

Thanks, I looked through the Owner's Guide and didn't see it tucked away on page 342.

Here is something useful to me.... (and maybe everyone else knows)...

I know that you can set the locks to all open when you touch the driver's door handle, but I figured that 90% of the time it's just me getting in so I didn't want to open 4 locks constantly (for wear and for safety)...

I found out though that if I touch the driver's passenger handle then all 4 locks unlock. So, if someone is coming with me to lunch then I touch that, otherwise I just touch mine.

Here is something useful to me.... (and maybe everyone else knows)...

I know that you can set the locks to all open when you touch the driver's door handle, but I figured that 90% of the time it's just me getting in so I didn't want to open 4 locks constantly (for wear and for safety)...

I found out though that if I touch the driver's passenger handle then all 4 locks unlock. So, if someone is coming with me to lunch then I touch that, otherwise I just touch mine.

Thanks, that is helpful. I thought I had to resort to using the remote when I have a passenger.

Bump.

HSA is supposedly an integral feature of the PowerShift transmission. According to the OG, HSA should be a driver selectable feature under Settings>Driver Assist along with Traction Control and Rear Park Aid on the instrument cluster menu. However, Hill Start does not appear on this menu in my vehicle; only TC and RPA are present. Neither is there a warning icon in the speedo field that should illuminate briefly at start up. Perhaps the ability to deactivate HSA was eliminated after the OG was printed. Could someone else please check their vehicle for HSA settings within the instrument cluster menu and report back?

Has anyone noticed a soft clunking coming from what seems like the rear left side of the car when going over bumps at slow speeds? I checked everything under the trunk tray and the wheel lug torque and everything seemed fine. I can't tell if I'm just being overly sensitive or if there's something that I need to get checked out. I've read about problems similar to this but usually they involve some worn out or broken part which seems very unlikely on a 3 week old car.

Has anyone noticed a soft clunking coming from what seems like the rear left side of the car when going over bumps at slow speeds? I checked everything under the trunk tray and the wheel lug torque and everything seemed fine. I can't tell if I'm just being overly sensitive or if there's something that I need to get checked out. I've read about problems similar to this but usually they involve some worn out or broken part which seems very unlikely on a 3 week old car.

I think you could look at the rear end suspension hitting the bump stops (my Mazda5 clunks like that at slow speeds say over a speedbump...go faster and I don't hear a thing!). Do you have the upgraded SE sport suspension or even the Titanium? Although setup is similiar, thicker sway bars and stiffer bushings separate them from their non equipped sisters. However, since the car is new, and a complete redesign, don't hesitate to take it to the dealer and recreate the conditions to let a mechanic feel and hear what is going on. It could be a minor problem...but never assume that. Cars are built and designed by humans...anything that can go wrong, usually does.

Nevertheless, I wish you and all of you happiness and success with your beautiful Foci. I look forward to a few more years into the future to purchase mine. My 1994 Mazda Protege still has some life in her even at 292,000 miles. She's my everfaithful.

I asked about this earlier in the post. It seems like they decided to change the settings, and the indicator light. Mine is the same as you described, and I have confirmed it even without what is printed in the owner's manual, it does work.

So no one else is experiencing the same problem's I created this thread for???

I think the "dry wipe" of the rain sensitive wipers should not happen, that is what auto mode is for, you should be able to leave the setting in that position all the time. Confirmed it on my parent's 2011 Edge with rain sensitive wipers. They leave it in auto all the time, and it doesn't "dry wipe" each time you start it.

I have created a list and sent it to the dealer. I don't mind the minor bugs, as long as they fix them.

I asked about this earlier in the post. It seems like they decided to change the settings, and the indicator light. Mine is the same as you described, and I have confirmed it even without what is printed in the owner's manual, it does work.

Thanks for the response. Sorry, I didn't see your earlier post. I've tested HSA on a relatively steep driveway. When it works, it does so quite well. However, caution is advised. For an auto-trans vehicle, it will roll backward alarmingly if HSA is not activated. I suppose this is due to the neutral idle feature of the PowerShift transmission. IFO would prefer to have an indicator/tone confirming active HSA engagement.

Edited by mrgdr57

So no one else is experiencing the same problem's I created this thread for???

I think the "dry wipe" of the rain sensitive wipers should not happen, that is what auto mode is for, you should be able to leave the setting in that position all the time. Confirmed it on my parent's 2011 Edge with rain sensitive wipers. They leave it in auto all the time, and it doesn't "dry wipe" each time you start it.

I have created a list and sent it to the dealer. I don't mind the minor bugs, as long as they fix them.

I agree that it should not happen and as I failed to test it (drying just the sensor area while washing the car would have been a good time...), I'll take your word for it. Owners shouldn't have to risk scratching their windshields due to a "convenience" feature.

What about this one? Anyone?

-If the lights are on, and then are turned off during driving, the car icon in the message center still shows the lights and tail lights "glowing" until I do something else in the message center to refresh it. It has done this for the rear door, showing it open while driving, but only in the car icon, no message about it open, Again, it refreshed when i pushed a button for the message center.

What about this one? Anyone?

-If the lights are on, and then are turned off during driving, the car icon in the message center still shows the lights and tail lights "glowing" until I do something else in the message center to refresh it. It has done this for the rear door, showing it open while driving, but only in the car icon, no message about it open, Again, it refreshed when i pushed a button for the message

center.

I have not been able to recreate this one.

Can anyone verify that everytime the autolamps activate, the fog lamps have to be manually activated each time?

I don't have mine to verify yet, but I did ask that question on a test drive, and the dealer believed you had to. Also any vehicle I've ever owned with auto lamps still made you manually activate the fog lamps.

I don't have mine to verify yet, but I did ask that question on a test drive, and the dealer believed you had to. Also any vehicle I've ever owned with auto lamps still made you manually activate the fog lamps.

And this is the way it is supposed to be. Fog lights are not meant to be used all the time as many people do, they are designed for very specific weather. Most states it is illegal to have them on in clear weather, but sadly it is not generally enforced.

Both my 06 Fusion and 08 Edge use the pull out feature to activate the fog lamps. If you leave the switch in the autolamp position with fog lamps activated it stays that way. You only have to reset the foglamps if you turn the lights OFF.

Well, it worked a few times on mine, and it hasn't now for awhile. Like akirby said, every other Ford that I have owned, they come on with the autolamps every time. I am calling it a glitch that hopefully will be fixed in software. Still would be nice to get someone to verify or not instead of their preference on fog lamp usage.

Well, it worked a few times on mine, and it hasn't now for awhile. Like akirby said, every other Ford that I have owned, they come on with the autolamps every time. I am calling it a glitch that hopefully will be fixed in software. Still would be nice to get someone to verify or not instead of their preference on fog lamp usage.

In auto mode, I have to turn my fogs on each time on my titanium. Oh well.