The Disgrace that is Local 600

qwertyuiop

I've had enough...

On Tuesday, I was notified by my supervisor that I was being bumped from B-Crew to C-Crew. I thought, "How is this possible?" She couldn't give me an answer, so I attempted to call the union down to try and make sense of the issue.

For those of you that don't know, DTP bumps once per year, in February. You sign up with your shift preference in Labor, they sign it, and give you a copy. There is a 2-week period in which to sign up, otherwise, you are placed on a crew in line with your seniority. The overwhelming majority of the time, a few (around 100 or so) bump from A to B or B to A, and from C to B (or C to A). It's hardly ever when someone bumps from B to C.

I happened to find the "hardly ever".

My team leader calls the union down. 5 hours later, the union (Kane Maks in this instance) decides to make an appearance. He talks to the team leader first, then this is what he says to me:

"You're the guy with the bump issue, right? I'm sorting that out right now."

That was all he said, and that was all I saw of him the entire night.

Not getting satisfaction from that, I sent a text to Nick Kottalis (the supposed "chairman"). I asked him if he could come down to my job on my next shift and see what was going on.

His response: "Remin me".

I told him the issue, and this was his reply:

"Well try 2 see what go on"

I am not a fan of text lingo. If you have a smartphone, and he has a BlackBerry, type out your full words! It doesn't take too much time for god's sake.

I then see a copy of the "Chairman's Report" for May. There is a section in there about the bump, so I read it... This is what it says...

"The Company screwed the bump up pretty badly.... this means some who were originally getting the bump now won't get it, mostly on A crew"... I could not figure out for the life of me how the company could screw something so simple as the bump up, but I found out on Friday.

I called the union again. This time, I had to wait until after lunch to even see someone, because Gil Rodriguez "was the only union rep that day." Hmmm...

Where is committee?

Where is Bargaining?

WHERE'S THE DAMN CHAIRMAN??

Out in a bar? Most likely. Gotta love seeing your union dues hard at work. Ugh.

So Gil finally comes down. I explain to him the situation. After 30 minutes, and 2 job rotations, I finally found out the problem:

The bump period was extended - not once, but TWICE. Why? So the people who came to DTP from Saline could request their shift.

WHAT???

Apparently Labor had no clue about this happening when the original list of the bump was made - the one I relied on to plan my life around, and the one that said I wasn't moving anywhere. I asked Gil how the period could be extended without notifying anyone about it. His reply was The Chairman must have agreed to it.

The same chairman who said the "company" screwed up the bump pretty badly. The same chairman who, when we came over in 2009, IN FEBRUARY, DURING THE BUMP PERIOD, did not give us the chance to request shifts. The same chairman who fls the nd 2 tlk lk ths to get hs pt acrs. The same chairman who is so touchy-feely when talking to people that he's going to get a sexual harassment complaint lodged against him one day.

I asked Gil to file a grievance. He said "What's the point... there's no language violation... you won't win."

I had enough at this point and went off on the man. My last words to him were "FILE THE DAMN GRIEVANCE!" and I walked back to my job, which I was now in the hole on because he was feeding me so much bullshit that I could not take it anymore.

Since when does the union have the right to extend the bump period WITHOUT ANY NOTIFICATION to the people who already signed up for it, DURING THE CORRECT TIME FRAME?

Thanks Nick. Your wonderful chairman's duties, hard at work again.

• Like 1

I've had enough...

On Tuesday, I was notified by my supervisor that I was being bumped from B-Crew to C-Crew. I thought, "How is this possible?" She couldn't give me an answer, so I attempted to call the union down to try and make sense of the issue.

For those of you that don't know, DTP bumps once per year, in February. You sign up with your shift preference in Labor, they sign it, and give you a copy. There is a 2-week period in which to sign up, otherwise, you are placed on a crew in line with your seniority. The overwhelming majority of the time, a few (around 100 or so) bump from A to B or B to A, and from C to B (or C to A). It's hardly ever when someone bumps from B to C.

I happened to find the "hardly ever".

My team leader calls the union down. 5 hours later, the union (Kane Maks in this instance) decides to make an appearance. He talks to the team leader first, then this is what he says to me:

"You're the guy with the bump issue, right? I'm sorting that out right now."

That was all he said, and that was all I saw of him the entire night.

Not getting satisfaction from that, I sent a text to Nick Kottalis (the supposed "chairman"). I asked him if he could come down to my job on my next shift and see what was going on.

His response: "Remin me".

I told him the issue, and this was his reply:

"Well try 2 see what go on"

I am not a fan of text lingo. If you have a smartphone, and he has a BlackBerry, type out your full words! It doesn't take too much time for god's sake.

I then see a copy of the "Chairman's Report" for May. There is a section in there about the bump, so I read it... This is what it says...

"The Company screwed the bump up pretty badly.... this means some who were originally getting the bump now won't get it, mostly on A crew"... I could not figure out for the life of me how the company could screw something so simple as the bump up, but I found out on Friday.

I called the union again. This time, I had to wait until after lunch to even see someone, because Gil Rodriguez "was the only union rep that day." Hmmm...

Where is committee?

Where is Bargaining?

WHERE'S THE DAMN CHAIRMAN??

Out in a bar? Most likely. Gotta love seeing your union dues hard at work. Ugh.

So Gil finally comes down. I explain to him the situation. After 30 minutes, and 2 job rotations, I finally found out the problem:

The bump period was extended - not once, but TWICE. Why? So the people who came to DTP from Saline could request their shift.

WHAT???

Apparently Labor had no clue about this happening when the original list of the bump was made - the one I relied on to plan my life around, and the one that said I wasn't moving anywhere. I asked Gil how the period could be extended without notifying anyone about it. His reply was The Chairman must have agreed to it.

The same chairman who said the "company" screwed up the bump pretty badly. The same chairman who, when we came over in 2009, IN FEBRUARY, DURING THE BUMP PERIOD, did not give us the chance to request shifts. The same chairman who fls the nd 2 tlk lk ths to get hs pt acrs. The same chairman who is so touchy-feely when talking to people that he's going to get a sexual harassment complaint lodged against him one day.

I asked Gil to file a grievance. He said "What's the point... there's no language violation... you won't win."

I had enough at this point and went off on the man. My last words to him were "FILE THE DAMN GRIEVANCE!" and I walked back to my job, which I was now in the hole on because he was feeding me so much bullshit that I could not take it anymore.

Since when does the union have the right to extend the bump period WITHOUT ANY NOTIFICATION to the people who already signed up for it, DURING THE CORRECT TIME FRAME?

Thanks Nick. Your wonderful chairman's duties, hard at work again.

Ya I didnt understand the whole "Company screwed up" thing either. The people who came back from loan to Saline raised hell that they were going to be put on whatever shift they were needed without being able to put in a preference. For some reason the company and Union kiss these EXSaliners asses and let them piss and moan constantly until they get what they want. Maybe its because 90 percent of them live in butt fu$# Eygypt and drive an hour and a half to work and are never going back to Saline so the company feeels sorry for them. Sounds like you dont have a ny seniority anyway and woulda been bumped eventually anyway..still sucks. Ive worked CCREW for three years now and love it(beeter than afternoons)..I can hold days but continue to prefer this shift. Most people come on this shift thinking they will hate it and end up loving it.....Good luck

Edited by DTP Nick
  • Like 1

Yet another reason to fight for better and more frequent bump language. Once a year is a joke. Peoples lives change much more often than that.

And for ther record, NO, I do not believe that the bump should have been extended. Contract language is what it is, and should be followed by both parties, however, we all know that it never does at DTP

Edited by trailfndr
  • Like 1

Welcome to the embarrassment ,that is Local 600.At least you see your reps,you should work in the Body Shop.

Expect that too change in July, and I can assure you personally that will change. You should notice a big difference with floor presence, C-crew with a district committee person should help alot. I will personally kick my own ass if you are on C-crew and do not notice a difference.

• Like 1

Ah Yes...............

Its called seniority,

1) You have it

2) You dont

Seniority should always apply when questioning of shift preference. As for the people that volunteered to go to Saline are now returning is irrelevant. They are our Union Brothers and Sisters that obviously have seniority.

As for work available, that should apply once seniority has described the proper shift

The Chairman has made the correct decision in following seniority

I know of many locations that shift bump twice a year. Seems once a year is not enough.

• Like 1

The shift change once a year sucks, i got sent to DTP a month ago with a group and none of us had an option for anything other then C-crew, and since we came after the bump even though we have seniority over some on B crew, we couldnt bump. and are stuck for a year on C-crew for at least a year.

Ah Yes...............

Its called seniority,

1) You have it

2) You dont

Seniority should always apply when questioning of shift preference. As for the people that volunteered to go to Saline are now returning is irrelevant. They are our Union Brothers and Sisters that obviously have seniority.

As for work available, that should apply once seniority has described the proper shift

The Chairman has made the correct decision in following seniority

I know of many locations that shift bump twice a year. Seems once a year is not enough.

I would have to agree with both points, regardless where you come from you should be able to exercise seniority for shift prefrence. With only 1 bump a year currently at DTP workers that recently were brought in should not have to suffer over a year on a shift they dont want with high seniority.

Resolutions are being asked to be submited now for the Unit contract; two main ones I would suggest everyone to put in for are

1. At least 2 bumps a year . Body Shop has two a year , seeing that HR has never gotten a bump right on time since DTP opened I would suggest the body and final/paint units bump at different times to avoid the confusion they already can not deal with.

2. Shift to Shift OT equalization agreement, currently final/paint does not have to equalize OT from shift to shift only between teams/classifications on the same shift. So that allows the company to bring in for example day shift for 500 hours of OT within a year and they would not be required to balance that within a spread with say workers on c-crew.

Other resolutions I would put in for would be; zero out the OT at the start of the year instead of along with a model launch.

More defined C-Crew language; having to work a Nationally Negotiated Holiday for strait time is bull shit, I understand some would prefer having Easter sunday off, but for me it personally did not matter. I was still able to go to church, have dinner with the family and I would have still been able to make it to work. Instead I was forced to work on Good Friday at strait time, and had it not been for the ILO after Easter I would have been forced to take Sunday off and then come back to work on Monday Night after the holiday (like we did last year).

Tag language is needed as well.

Ya a little of track once again but some things all that work at DTP should be thinking about right now.

• Like 2

The shift change once a year sucks, i got sent to DTP a month ago with a group and none of us had an option for anything other then C-crew, and since we came after the bump even though we have seniority over some on B crew, we couldnt bump. and are stuck for a year on C-crew for at least a year.

Is CCREW really as bad as you thought before you did it?...Is it that unbearable?...I guess for some it is but most I work with could bump off it but dont

Regardless of senority they came in after the bump so they should go to what's available! How many different people came to DTP after the bump w/ enough time to hold A or B crew but got put on C? A lot so why is it any different w/ these people? Most a lot them worked 2-3 weeks and been on restriction since then. So we should give th special treatment? When we got over there they put us on whatever shift we were needed and we stayed til bump.

Is CCREW really as bad as you thought before you did it?...Is it that unbearable?...I guess for some it is but most I work with could bump off it but dont

It sucks as much as i thought it would. personally i can live with it for a year, but if i had a choice i would've went to B-crew. problem was we were not given a chance for shift preference and cant move for a year.

i guess thats part of why so many people welcomed me and others with "welcome to hell"

• Like 1

Regardless of senority they came in after the bump so they should go to what's available! How many different people came to DTP after the bump w/ enough time to hold A or B crew but got put on C? A lot so why is it any different w/ these people? Most a lot them worked 2-3 weeks and been on restriction since then. So we should give th special treatment? When we got over there they put us on whatever shift we were needed and we stayed til bump.

Bump submissions where back in what Feb ?

It is now the middle of May, with around 200 temps gone, seniority employees have come in to replace the temps. How can anyone argue seniority issues that are black and white?

Layoffs,bumps and non-promotional job bids are all that matter when going by strait seniority. Sure some can argue that some people are coming back from temp assignments, but not all are. So instead we should overlook seniority because the bump sign up was two fucking months ago ? and still the moves have not been made.

Again the lack of Solidarity and respect for the contract is scewed by those that would rather be self serving and not respect seniority......until it would benefit themselves.

*edit* I will add , I can understand being upset if people had already been moved to their prefered shift, and now they want to allow transferees the right to bump after the fact. But they have not moved anyone yet so I really do not understand the outrage over honoring seniority.

Edited by lquidspine
  • Like 1

Bump submissions where back in what Feb ?

It is now the middle of May, with around 200 temps gone, seniority employees have come in to replace the temps. How can anyone argue seniority issues that are black and white?

Layoffs,bumps and non-promotional job bids are all that matter when going by strait seniority. Sure some can argue that some people are coming back from temp assignments, but not all are. So instead we should overlook seniority because the bump sign up was two fucking months ago ? and still the moves have not been made.

Again the lack of Solidarity and respect for the contract is scewed by those that would rather be self serving and not respect seniority......until it would benefit themselves.

*edit* I will add , I can understand being upset if people had already been moved to their prefered shift, and now they want to allow transferees the right to bump after the fact. But they have not moved anyone yet so I really do not understand the outrage over honoring seniority.

Good post...........

Spot on!!!

• Like 1

The bump isn't going yo affect either way. Buy like u said sign up was 2 months ago. And it's not our brothers & sisters fault the company hadn't moved them. This is going to turn some peoples lives upside down so we should have no respect for them? When u come to a plant from another one you get put where you are needed. So what ur telling me is that when we get new people which we do all the time they should get to pick what shift they go on? It has NEVER happened in the past.

My seniority is Aug. of '04. If the bump would not have been extended, I would have remained on B-Crew (as the list that was posted would have confirmed), either because not enough people requested it to bump me or people were fine with what shift they were on.

Regardless of that, It is NOT fair in my mind to extend the bump WITHOUT TELLING the current membership they were doing so. If I would have KNOWN they were extending the bump, I would have waited a little longer to plan my life. I am now stuck with a $1,300 vacation I can't take because I won't be home in time before I work again. And before you ask, no, I don't have personal time... no, my supervisor won't grant me an unpaid personal... I've already asked.

It is ludicrous to think that seniority employees from another plant take precedence over employees who have followed proper procedure and turn in their requests by the time which they were told. If your job was moving to another plant, and you had transfer-with-work rights, what do you think your chances would be of getting your same job in the new plant? My guess: slim to none, as these jobs were most likely ALREADY BID OUT before you got there. You don't get to come in whining "I've got more seniority, so get off my job"... you get placed on available work. If a bid comes up, then you get to bid on it. Otherwise, you're SOL.

The same should apply here. Just because you come from an easy (ok, maybe not) plant to a hellhole like DTP doesn't mean you should get to throw the bump all out of whack simply because of seniority. Just like the national agreement says:

"Both parties recognize that it is unfeasible to have all the older employees on one shift."

It's not fair to those that followed protocol and turned in their preference on time. The people who came in from whereever should be placed on available work and available crews. If it means C-Crew, oh well. I had to suffer on it for 14 months before I got off of it. I shouldn't be made to have to give up my position for an older employee who doesn't want to work. They can wait just like I did.

And before you think I'm bashing seniority rights, think again. I am all for it, AS LONG AS IT IS ADMINISTERED PROPERLY. I know that with 2004 seniority I am living on the edge, and I probably won't get a good job for a good 15 years. But if the union wants to change things up and bend the rules for whoever they want, whenever they want, I do not find that fair and will strongly voice my opposition to it.

• Like 1

My seniority is Aug. of '04. If the bump would not have been extended, I would have remained on B-Crew (as the list that was posted would have confirmed), either because not enough people requested it to bump me or people were fine with what shift they were on.

Regardless of that, It is NOT fair in my mind to extend the bump WITHOUT TELLING the current membership they were doing so. If I would have KNOWN they were extending the bump, I would have waited a little longer to plan my life. I am now stuck with a $1,300 vacation I can't take because I won't be home in time before I work again. And before you ask, no, I don't have personal time... no, my supervisor won't grant me an unpaid personal... I've already asked.

It is ludicrous to think that seniority employees from another plant take precedence over employees who have followed proper procedure and turn in their requests by the time which they were told. If your job was moving to another plant, and you had transfer-with-work rights, what do you think your chances would be of getting your same job in the new plant? My guess: slim to none, as these jobs were most likely ALREADY BID OUT before you got there. You don't get to come in whining "I've got more seniority, so get off my job"... you get placed on available work. If a bid comes up, then you get to bid on it. Otherwise, you're SOL.

The same should apply here. Just because you come from an easy (ok, maybe not) plant to a hellhole like DTP doesn't mean you should get to throw the bump all out of whack simply because of seniority. Just like the national agreement says:

"Both parties recognize that it is unfeasible to have all the older employees on one shift."

It's not fair to those that followed protocol and turned in their preference on time. The people who came in from whereever should be placed on available work and available crews. If it means C-Crew, oh well. I had to suffer on it for 14 months before I got off of it. I shouldn't be made to have to give up my position for an older employee who doesn't want to work. They can wait just like I did.

And before you think I'm bashing seniority rights, think again. I am all for it, AS LONG AS IT IS ADMINISTERED PROPERLY. I know that with 2004 seniority I am living on the edge, and I probably won't get a good job for a good 15 years. But if the union wants to change things up and bend the rules for whoever they want, whenever they want, I do not find that fair and will strongly voice my opposition to it.

I'm sorry bro but i disagree completly, I understand you feel some resentment that when you came you had to stay on the shift they gave you for 14 months because they had a freeze on moves when C-crew came around(assuming that is when you came). There is a difference this time, The bump was finalized before you got to DTP last time and everyone was stuck for that period. This time there is no C-crew initial staffing bump freeze going on, and they have only moved very few to their prefered shift so far. Most will be done by June 1st.

While I totally understand your situation by planning a vacation, like General said I am sure if you go through the proper channels you can get the days you require off. I would suggest however if Nick can not do it for you instead of going strait to the International , you should go to the local first (International will ask if you have gone through the proper channels before coming to them- Unit,Local, Regional and last International).

Please excuse me if I am rather unsympethetic but with August of 2004 seniority you really do not have many people under you besides ILO trades working production. Again appreciate/respect seniority because someday you will have some and want the same treatment when this company moves you from plant to plant.

• Like 3

When I came to DTP, I came in April. I did not get to put in for a shift preference until the following year, it was past bumping season and the rules are the rules. Nick wasn't running things back then so the rules were actually followed. No need for a local contract if the chairman is going to change what's written in it. This is not the first time Nick has catered to people coming into DTP, he had done this exact same thing a couple of years ago. It sucks you have to go to C crew. Just remember this next election, you might want to make a change in leadership.

OK enough pissing anf moaning. You have 2004 seniority!!!!....Nick is a stickler on seniority rights and you my friend have NONE. As Nick told you "IT is what it is"...Be a man and go do your job on the shift you BELONG ON..or quit and go on vacation but stop whining...

• Like 1

OK enough pissing anf moaning. You have 2004 seniority!!!!....Nick is a stickler on seniority rights and you my friend have NONE. As Nick told you "IT is what it is"...Be a man and go do your job on the shift you BELONG ON..or quit and go on vacation but stop whining...

He has every right to complain. Nick needs to adhere to the contract, bumping season has been over. These employees coming in should go where they are needed until bumping season comes around again. Thats the way it worked for me and I didn't complain about it because it was the contractual language. Nick needs to go by the local contract and not change it when he feels like it.

• Like 1

He has every right to complain. Nick needs to adhere to the contract, bumping season has been over. These employees coming in should go where they are needed until bumping season comes around again. Thats the way it worked for me and I didn't complain about it because it was the contractual language. Nick needs to go by the local contract and not change it when he feels like it.

There is also no shift to shift overtime equilazation agreement, should that mean if managment brings in day shift workers for 300 OT hours that Nick and the committee should not try and get other shift workers in for some of the OT ?

That is your Unit agreement by the way. I would say no, they should strive to get equal opportunities for all workers even though your Unit agreement would technically allow this practice. Remember that Nick is working with a very weak Unit agreement, that was ratified before he became Chairman. You should expect to see at least one more bump season in your upcoming Unit agreement, judging by the actions you see in this case you should be proud of the stance Nick has taken on seniority related issues.

Edited by lquidspine

There is also no shift to shift overtime equilazation agreement, should that mean if managment brings in day shift workers for 300 OT hours that Nick and the committee should not try and get other shift workers in for some of the OT ?

That is your Unit agreement by the way. I would say no, they should strive to get equal opportunities for all workers even though your Unit agreement would technically allow this practice. Remember that Nick is working with a very weak Unit agreement, that was ratified before he became Chairman. You should expect to see at least one more bump season in your upcoming Unit agreement, judging by the actions you see in this case you should be proud of the stance Nick has taken on seniority related issues.

I hope there are 2 bumps per year in the next contract, the plant I came from had 1 in April and 1 in October. As of right now there is only 1 so it is what it is! As far as overtime, there should also be an equalization list. I am not a fan of overtime myself, I would rather spend time with my wife and family then make some extra money.

After reading these posts again, and reading Nicks chairmans report, I think I might see the real problem.

First, the original poster is NOT repeat NOT being bumped by someone coming into the plant. He is being bumped by someone that was on a temorary assignment INSIDE THE PLANT ( EQI Drivers, Tork inspectors, etc..) Sorry folks, but they are doing this CORRECTLY. Those folks were not told they would be coming back to work available. They were told that they would come back to thier department, and Shift when the temporary assignment that they BID for, ended. I have spoken to several of the folks just coming into the plant from Saline, and each and everyone has been told to report to C crew.

This is definatly an error by labor. The people coming out of those temp jobs should have been considered, and unfortunatly for the original poster, labor screwed the pooch, and he got caught in the mess.

Sorry you got caught in the mess, but lets blame the correct people. I have in the past been against Nick K and surely will again, but only when he is truely in the wrong. This time, he is in the right, according to the contract, and bid language that these folks were given at the time they took these jobs.

After reading these posts again, and reading Nicks chairmans report, I think I might see the real problem.

First, the original poster is NOT repeat NOT being bumped by someone coming into the plant. He is being bumped by someone that was on a temorary assignment INSIDE THE PLANT ( EQI Drivers, Tork inspectors, etc..) Sorry folks, but they are doing this CORRECTLY. Those folks were not told they would be coming back to work available. They were told that they would come back to thier department, and Shift when the temporary assignment that they BID for, ended. I have spoken to several of the folks just coming into the plant from Saline, and each and everyone has been told to report to C crew.

This is definatly an error by labor. The people coming out of those temp jobs should have been considered, and unfortunatly for the original poster, labor screwed the pooch, and he got caught in the mess.

Sorry you got caught in the mess, but lets blame the correct people. I have in the past been against Nick K and surely will again, but only when he is truely in the wrong. This time, he is in the right, according to the contract, and bid language that these folks were given at the time they took these jobs.

Unfortunately, that's not what I was told, by Gil.

But, it is what it is. It's over and done with. C-Crew, get ready for one more grumpy soul. Ugh.

Unfortunately, that's not what I was told, by Gil.

But, it is what it is. It's over and done with. C-Crew, get ready for one more grumpy soul. Ugh.

There we go finally i see the problem.

The bad blood between the Ray camp ( Gil was a part of) and Nick's team still lives on even after both will be out of elected positions come July.

trailfnder you know I never did think of that, since i only work out there but get paid by Body. I forgot about all the EQI and GFCPA people that recently came back to the lines, good catch. I still stand by what i said on my earlier posts though.