Is Ford worried?

Explorer4X4

Is Ford worried about all the compitition? Dodge has the Caliber, a redisigned Caravan coming out in 08', Jeep not only has a 4-door Wrangler but a new Wagoneer (don't they call it an American or something?), a compact Compass, a full-size Commander and diesel Cherokee, Chrysler has the new Sevring, Town & Country and Pacifica, GM has loads of new cars coming from Saturn (Outlook, VUE Green Line, SKY, Aura), Buick (Enclave and GMI's new 2009/2010 Buick lineup concepts featuring a 425HP Wildcat Gran Sport), Chevrolet (their new SUV look and Silverado), Pontiac (G5 and Solstice GXP), HUMMER (H3) and GMC (their new Tahoe line, rumored Sierra and Graphyte concept). And that isn't including Honda, Toyota or Nissan? What does Ford have exactly to compete? All I hear is rumors? Could someone please give a list of new cars/models and concepts? I'd like to feel assured that Ford is going to win.... :runaway::cry:

Is Ford worried about all the compitition? Dodge has the Caliber, a redisigned Caravan coming out in 08', Jeep not only has a 4-door Wrangler but a new Wagoneer (don't they call it an American or something?), a compact Compass, a full-size Commander and diesel Cherokee, Chrysler has the new Sevring, Town & Country and Pacifica, GM has loads of new cars coming from Saturn (Outlook, VUE Green Line, SKY, Aura), Buick (Enclave and GMI's new 2009/2010 Buick lineup concepts featuring a 425HP Wildcat Gran Sport), Chevrolet (their new SUV look and Silverado), Pontiac (G5 and Solstice GXP), HUMMER (H3) and GMC (their new Tahoe line, rumored Sierra and Graphyte concept). And that isn't including Honda, Toyota or Nissan? What does Ford have exactly to compete? All I hear is rumors? Could someone please give a list of new cars/models and concepts? I'd like to feel assured that Ford is going to win.... :runaway::cry:

well the thing is Ford's pipeline was set, and then Fields happened and cancelled half of it because it was crap. Now we are unclear when all these things will come, but this is what we know (the year is a model year)

2007 All new Edge /MKX

2007 All new Expedition / Navigator / Expy L / Navi L

2007 All new Explorer Sport Track

2007 Fusion, Milan, MKZ, Focu, FiveHundred - tweaked (features, specs, options)

2008 All new SuperDuty

2008 Redesigned Five Hundred / Montego / Fresstyle (possibly a Mercury Version -say all you want about it being cancelled i will wait for hte announcement)

2008 Redesigned Escape / Mariner / Tribute and their hybrid versions

(RUMOR: 2008 redesigned Focus)

2009 All new F150 with a diesel

2009 Redesigned Mustang

The rest is rumors:

2009 Fairlane

2009 All new Focus

2009 MKS

2010 Fiesta, Bronco, Reflex

2010 All new Explorer

2010 All new Escape

2012 All new Fusion /Milan / MKZ

There is a lot of inclarity about stuff at this point, but as Ford redies the new models after the old versions were scrapped, we will learn more. They are working hard, but they simply had to start largely from scratch, because the models in the pipeline were crap. They will have hard time untill 2008, but then the new models developed under Fields will start rolling in, and the tide will turn (or so I believe).

Igor

Edited by igor

well the thing is Ford's pipeline was set, and then Fields happened and cancelled half of it because it was crap. Now we are unclear when all these things will come, but this is what we know (the year is a model year)

2007 All new Edge /MKX

2007 All new Expedition / Navigator / Expy L / Navi L

2007 All new Explorer Sport Track

2007 Fusion, Milan, MKZ, Focu, FiveHundred - tweaked (features, specs, options)

2008 All new SuperDuty

2008 Redesigned Five Hundred / Montego / Fresstyle (possibly a Mercury Version -say all you want about it being cancelled i will wait for hte announcement)

2008 Redesigned Escape / Mariner / Tribute and their hybrid versions

(RUMOR: 2008 redesigned Focus)

2009 All new F150 with a diesel

2009 Redesigned Mustang

The rest is rumors:

2009 Fairlane

2009 All new Focus

2009 MKS

2010 Fiesta, Bronco, Reflex

2010 All new Explorer

2010 All new Escape

2012 All new Fusion /Milan / MKZ

There is a lot of inclarity about stuff at this point, but as Ford redies the new models after the old versions were scrapped, we will learn more. They are working hard, but they simply had to start largely from scratch, because the models in the pipeline were crap. They will have hard time untill 2008, but then the new models developed under Fields will start rolling in, and the tide will turn (or so I believe).

Igor

Hey Igor, with all that info are you sure your NOT Mark Fields :hysterical:

Wait, so the Fusion/Milan/MKZ aren't getting any major refresh until 2012? That's six years away!

no, however the rumors are the 2012 is the all new second generation ....

There will most likely be a refresh - it seems there are already some changes designed for MKZ interior ....

and i am sure we will see exterior changes in he mean time.

Igor

And why do so few people use a fake name, got something to hide?

Ron Wilson St. Peter Ford.

nothing to hide here.. this is my first name ... and my screen name pretty much everywhere.,

Igor

FORD SHOULD BE WORRID YES!!!

No one wants SUVS anymore, they all want cars!! Ford has very little to offer at the moment!!

All they have is the old fading FOCUS, while toyota has Scion that everyone wants etc........

Hmmm....no cars?

All-new Five Hundred in 2005. Refresh next year with freshened exterior and new V6.

All-new Freestyle in 2005. Refresh next year with the Five Hundred.

All-new Fusion in 2006. All-wheel-drive available in 2007. New V6 likely in 2008 with possibly hybrid version.

Refreshed Focus in 2007 or 2008, all-new car in 2010.

Two new B-cars due in 2008 or 2009.

All-new Mustang in 2005. Refresh coming in 2008.

All-new car-based Edge crossover in 2007.

As "popular" as Scion appears to be, they still barely move 100,000 units a year in the U.S. That's about one third the total of the Explorer that you claim "no one wants".

Should Ford already be offering more small cars? Yes. Are they correcting that? Yes. Is it the end of the world that they don't have them now? Nah.

Edited by NickF1011

no, however the rumors are the 2012 is the all new second generation ....

There will most likely be a refresh - it seems there are already some changes designed for MKZ interior ....

and i am sure we will see exterior changes in he mean time.

Ahh, gotcha.

To the guy that said Ford has no cars and needs to be worried, have you looked at GM lately? GM is long overdue for a new platform to replace the aging W-body, not to mention in dire need of those 6-speed autos they helped co-develop. The Malibu has one of the worst interiors in the midsize market. GM has some great stuff right around the corner, but until then...they have a lot of catching up to do.

Ford is positioned fairly well except that the Focus badly needs a refresh. The Fusion is hot, and the Five Hundred will do better once it gets the Duratec 35. The CV is on a limb, but hopefully they can hang on long enough to replace it with something. And then you have the Edge coming this fall...I'd say Ford is in really good shape.

Oh yes, and do not forget the fresh (2005) Explorer, Expedition and the new Expedition EL, the new Edge and the fresh Sport Trac. Ford has NOT ONE SINGLE OLD SUV! All 5 are redisigned/new! Ford's Fusion (like said by Mustang84isu) is brand spanking new, along with planned updates for the 500 and Focus. Ford's only untouched cars are the E-Series, Crown Victoria, Focus and the S-150 and Super Duty are slightly old.

Ahh, gotcha.

"The continuing fall of trucks, the most profitable vehicles to Detroit automakers, might taint the companies' bottom lines, which will be revealed later this month. Financial performance announcements are scheduled for July 20 at Ford, July 26 at GM and July 27 at DaimlerChrysler.

Ford also reported that it expects sales to fall even more for the remainder of the year."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../607040368/1014

Edited by Bluecon

Ford also reported that it expects sales to fall even more for the remainder of the year."

As CAR sales will continue to climb. At least they are addressing the area where they had the most weakness first. The drop-off in truck sales won't be much of an issue in my eyes once Explorer production is consolidated into one plant and the Expedition gets its mix together properly on the flex line at Michigan Truck. After that, the only real pickle on the truck side is what is going to be done about Ranger.

I predict that ranger may go on a short hiatus, then will be put on a new shared platform with Explorer in a few years. IIRC, I read somewhere else on this forum that the ranger plant is supposed to close in a few years, that 07 or 08 are the last model year for them, but that the last year will be dramatically overbuilt for inventory purposes to bridge to the new platform and plant.

As a betting man, my bet is that the Thailand Ranger will come to the US. If you watch the month's old shareholders video you will see Padilla talking about the new Ranger which is featured on a slide with North American launches such as Fusion/Milan/Zephyr, Navigator/Expedition, Shelby while an international launch slide is separate. He was also quoted as saying that the Ranger will be exported to 20 markets. Elimination of the "Chicken Tax" is on the horizon. The closure of the Ranger plant. Like I said, I'm betting this is what happens. The small truck can only compete on price, to get there, outsourced production seems like the only way to make that happen.