2012 Explorer Order

I understand that dealers can take 2012 Explorer orders now and production will start in July. I'm wondering:

1. If I order now, when could I realistically expect to get one? September?

2. Which is likely to have less quality issues: A late production 2011 or an early production 2012. I'm hoping 2012 will fix some of the issues I've been reading about with the 2011.

I understand that dealers can take 2012 Explorer orders now and production will start in July. I'm wondering:

2. Which is likely to have less quality issues: A late production 2011 or an early production 2012. I'm hoping 2012 will fix some of the issues I've been reading about with the 2011.

Mine was built on May 14th and I don't seem to have the A-pillar rattle and then of course the other big issue is MFT which is a software problem. Mine came with version 2.8 which has been very good overall except it can be a little slow when first starting the vehicle. Mostly my issue is turning on the A/C seats when I first start the car. If I hit the icon it will sometimes take 2 or 3 seconds to respond with the beep and the icon animation, at first I would try again thinking I missed the icon which would result in the seats going to medium instead of high, now I just wait.

I doubt that there will be a material difference unless you are looking at a 2.0 Ecoboost. The beauty of software problems is that they are easily upgradable and I bought the 2011 fully expecting the Explorer, like a fine wine to improve with age.

This does lead into an interesting question for Michael Karesh, owner of TrueDelta. Is a trip to upgrade the MFT the same as a other types of repairs. Unlike any other warrantee work I bought the vehicle fully expecting and maybe even looking forward to upgrading. Hopefully 3.0 will be user installable, I understand some of the early upgrades required the dealer to do since the OS had to be wiped and reinstalled from scratch.

Retail orders are not going to be built in the first month of production. If you want it quickly, I'd talk to your dealer about placing a stock order with the features that you want.

I also ordered a 2012, since I was too late for a 2011 (ordered on April 9)... was told that since I was too late for a 11, those who order a 12 will be some of the first ones to come off the line... unlike a volvo tho, they don't have the prices yet, and I am sure they won't give me a break on the difference either...

Rick

Retail orders are not going to be built in the first month of production. If you want it quickly, I'd talk to your dealer about placing a stock order with the features that you want.

I thought they only did that for new vehicles. Since the 2012 only has minor changes would they still do the production hold?

I thought they only did that for new vehicles. Since the 2012 only has minor changes would they still do the production hold?

We did not include 2012 Explorers in the retail sweep for startup. The only vehicles that have not been delayed until OKTB have been specialty Mustang (Boss 302, Laguna Seca, GT500) and Raptor - mostly due to such limited availability. I know we did not schedule retails for the first month of 2012 Fusion.

We did not include 2012 Explorers in the retail sweep for startup. The only vehicles that have not been delayed until OKTB have been specialty Mustang (Boss 302, Laguna Seca, GT500) and Raptor - mostly due to such limited availability. I know we did not schedule retails for the first month of 2012 Fusion.

So every 2012 model goes through a quality control hold until they've built 5 days straight with no problems? Or is OKTB different for brand new 2012 models vs. those with minor changes?

So, I'm getting the feeling it could easily be 6 months waiting. I think we'll need something much sooner. I really like the Explorer but I'm worried about a lot of the problems people are having. I got an Escape in late 2000 when it was brand new and lived through 5 or so recalls early on which wasn't terrible but some 2011 Explorer owners seem to have some basd issues.

Do I risk it or get a CX-9 or Acadia??

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I placed our order for a 2012 Explorer last week. The dealer is saying 6 weeks we should have it???? Now that I have done some research, I see they are not even supposed to start making them till July 18th!!! How can our dealer say 6 weeks?? Just tell us the truth, so we don't get pissed!!! If it will be closer to 8 - 12 weeks, just say it at the start!!! Anyone else being told this line??

So, I'm getting the feeling it could easily be 6 months waiting. I think we'll need something much sooner. I really like the Explorer but I'm worried about a lot of the problems people are having. I got an Escape in late 2000 when it was brand new and lived through 5 or so recalls early on which wasn't terrible but some 2011 Explorer owners seem to have some bad issues.

Do I risk it or get a CX-9 or Acadia??

Even though I'm not a big fan of the new Explorer, as many here will tell you, if my options were between the CX-9, Acadia & Explorer, I'd wait for the Explorer. The Explorer may have some growing pains and headaches, but I see it as a better overall product than those two vehicles you mentioned.

I have the same concerns about the Explorer, but I think it provides the best bang for the buck. The 2012 models will have a couple of things going for them.

1) The $100 MM laser robotics to ensure quality - http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/article_eb1d5d06-4d21-52f8-96a0-0917c90013c6.html

2) Ford Sync is being improved and I understand many of the software reboot issues were dealt with in the last release, they are increasing font size which has to help, and the touch response time is better (although I admit to some continuing concern).

My husband and I placed our order for a 2012 Explorer last week. The dealer is saying 6 weeks we should have it???? Now that I have done some research, I see they are not even supposed to start making them till July 18th!!! How can our dealer say 6 weeks?? Just tell us the truth, so we don't get pissed!!! If it will be closer to 8 - 12 weeks, just say it at the start!!! Anyone else being told this line??

Unfortunately, it's all too common for sales representatives and dealers to quote 6 week order-to-delivery timetables. I try to communicate the realistic timtables, which vary depending on the vehicle line, commodity/option availability issues, etc. on a regular basis. I understand your frustration as I'm the one that manages the vehicle order bank at my dealership and often talk to customers with retail orders.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered my 2012 explorer on 07/05 and the stock answer was 6 to 8 weeks. Has anybody who ordered it in the May timeframe recieved theirs yet ? It is interesting to note that ford's website does not have the new model listed but are taking orders for the model.

I ordered my 2012 explorer on 07/05 and the stock answer was 6 to 8 weeks. Has anybody who ordered it in the May timeframe recieved theirs yet ? It is interesting to note that ford's website does not have the new model listed but are taking orders for the model.

They want clear the 2011 inventory, before they update the web page to the 2012 vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine was built on May 14th and I don't seem to have the A-pillar rattle and then of course the other big issue is MFT which is a software problem. Mine came with version 2.8 which has been very good overall except it can be a little slow when first starting the vehicle. Mostly my issue is turning on the A/C seats when I first start the car. If I hit the icon it will sometimes take 2 or 3 seconds to respond with the beep and the icon animation, at first I would try again thinking I missed the icon which would result in the seats going to medium instead of high, now I just wait.

I doubt that there will be a material difference unless you are looking at a 2.0 Ecoboost. The beauty of software problems is that they are easily upgradable and I bought the 2011 fully expecting the Explorer, like a fine wine to improve with age.

This does lead into an interesting question for Michael Karesh, owner of TrueDelta. Is a trip to upgrade the MFT the same as a other types of repairs. Unlike any other warrantee work I bought the vehicle fully expecting and maybe even looking forward to upgrading. Hopefully 3.0 will be user installable, I understand some of the early upgrades required the dealer to do since the OS had to be wiped and reinstalled from scratch.

Sorry, just learned of this post.

I've never counted FREE software upgrades as repairs in TrueDelta's stats, because I foresaw them becoming as regular as software updates for a computer. Not just for controls, but also for transmissions and such (some people with the GM and Ford six-speed automatics have had multiple transmission reflashes). Software upgrades only count in the stats if the dealer charges money for them.

And if manufacturers make these upgrades free after the warranty ends to keep their stats good? I won't complain :)

• 3 weeks later...