F150 Diesel

302bossman

It's called Ecoboost. And it doesnt have the problems that are associated with diesel. i.e. emissions that require very expensive aftertreatment, high maintainance costs with horrible reliability and higher cost of fuel per gallon.

Fuel economy S*CKS on the newer emissions choked diesels !

It is highly unlike that a diesel F150 will se the light of day.

Popular Mechanics did a test of several cars including a Jetta TDI and a Focus SFE. The Focus got 36 mpg and the TDI got 38 (actual observed mpg on their test loop). It's not worth the added up front and ongoing higher fuel costs right now.

Fuel economy S*CKS on the newer emissions choked diesels !

It is highly unlike that a diesel F150 will se the light of day.

I think it is more the cost of entry than fuel economy sucksing on the newer diesels. My '08 F250 diesel gets about the same fuel economy as my F150 5.4 did (highway is the same, around town driving is slightly worse with the F250). Couple things to point out:

• This is the 6.4L which has "horrible" fuel economy compared to the 6.7L.
  • The F250 has 50 more HP and 285 more ft-lbs of torqe than the F150.
  • The F250 weighs about 2000 lbs more than the F150.
  • The F250 can tow a house, with power to spare!
  • Towing, the F250 gets BETTER fuel economy towing a LARGER load than the F150.
  • My F250 has 3.73...due to the extra power on tap, it would be fine with the 3.55, which I wish it had.

Now, does the 6.4L get as good fuel economy as the 6.0 or 7.3? No, it doesn't, and it is mostly (if not completely) due to the stricter emissions. But I would not say that the fuel economy sucks on the newer diesels, it's just not as good as it was on the previous, non-emissions diesels. I think the real issue is the cost to buy a new emissions-compliant diesel. That extra cost just won't fly in an F150, IMO.