2012 Focus Titanium MFT Issues

tspindle

We are having the following issues with our one month old 2012 Focus. How about anybody else?

[

u]Synch/My Ford Touch/Nav[/u]

1) Shortly after vehicle start-up, our LG cell phone connects then within minutes we get a message "phone disconnected synch trying to reconnect". When the warning expires, the phone is connected. The same phone works fine with our 2010 Edge Limited. Removing and repairiing the phone did not help.

2) Our Clock is set to Eastern time, however the estimated arrival time for destination seems to be set on an earlier time zone so you arrive one hour before you leave.

3) Our Sony radio cuts out intermittantly (maybe it's trying to get HD signal?)

4) The Nav system doesn't recognize my cabin address up north. Also my home address is 1/2 block away from reality. The NAV system on my 2010 Edge is more accurate and favorites on the Edge is more easily managable..

None of these issues is fatal and we understand that Ford is working on an update.

We plan a long trip later this month to get a better handle on the issues and really get a feel for the car.

In the first month we got 30 mpg driving mostly in the city. It rides well. It takes awhile getting use to the rain sensing wipers but we are there now. Love the keyless push button start.

I have the half ass My Ford Touch (302A) and yes I have all kinds of problems with parring my phones with Sync in this 2012. Never had a problem with my 08 Focus with Sync. Ford/MS needs to get their act together and get a fix out on this...By the way I'm using Motorola phones which are user friendly with Blue Tooth devices.

I have the half ass My Ford Touch (302A) and yes I have all kinds of problems with parring my phones with Sync in this 2012. Never had a problem with my 08 Focus with Sync. Ford/MS needs to get their act together and get a fix out on this...By the way I'm using Motorola phones which are user friendly with Blue Tooth devices.

They're rewriting MFT from scratch. It will be backwards compatible with the 2011/2012 models. In the meantime try deleting the phone, pulling the fuse for sync/MFT, pulling the battery and rebooting the phone, then repairing the phone with Sync. Or try a master reset but that loses all stored items.

We are having the following issues with our one month old 2012 Focus. How about anybody else?

[

1) Shortly after vehicle start-up, our LG cell phone connects then within minutes we get a message "phone disconnected synch trying to reconnect". When the warning expires, the phone is connected. The same phone works fine with our 2010 Edge Limited. Removing and repairiing the phone did not help.

2) Our Clock is set to Eastern time, however the estimated arrival time for destination seems to be set on an earlier time zone so you arrive one hour before you leave.

4) The Nav system doesn't recognize my cabin address up north. Also my home address is 1/2 block away from reality. The NAV system on my 2010 Edge is more accurate and favorites on the Edge is more easily managable..

None of these issues is fatal and we understand that Ford is working on an update.

We plan a long trip later this month to get a better handle on the issues and really get a feel for the car.

In the first month we got 30 mpg driving mostly in the city. It rides well. It takes awhile getting use to the rain sensing wipers but we are there now. Love the keyless push button start.

Regarding the clock issue, do you have GPS time sync turned on?

I work in the cellular phone market and I also had an LG (4 different devices in 6 months), and LG is notoriously bad with bluetooth. I've got a rather expensive bluetooth and car that syncs, and the LG models constantly do that with most any bluetooth device I've used it with, it's a known LG issue. So if anything, I would say its a combination with LG's poor bluetooth connectivity and poor code on the Sync, but neither is probably more to blame than the other.

They're rewriting MFT from scratch. It will be backwards compatible with the 2011/2012 models. In the meantime try deleting the phone, pulling the fuse for sync/MFT, pulling the battery and rebooting the phone, then repairing the phone with Sync. Or try a master reset but that loses all stored items.

You may know, Microsoft is the one now re-writting the code, is that correct? From what I read a small company developed the code for the MFT that's currently in the Focus. I haven't been able to read of an ETA on any of that, but know technology one of the things that are rarely on time anyways, but curious if you've heard anything there yet!

Regarding the clock issue, do you have GPS time sync turned on?

I just turned on GPS time synch and it didn't change. However, I turned off Auto Time Zone, Daylight Savings Time, and GPS time synch and reset the clock manually and the destination time works. Then I turned GPS time sysnch on and it didn't work. Then I turned GPS off and it didn't work. I'll play somemore but it sure isn't predictable. Thanks for the suugestion.

I work in the cellular phone market and I also had an LG (4 different devices in 6 months), and LG is notoriously bad with bluetooth. I've got a rather expensive bluetooth and car that syncs, and the LG models constantly do that with most any bluetooth device I've used it with, it's a known LG issue. So if anything, I would say its a combination with LG's poor bluetooth connectivity and poor code on the Sync, but neither is probably more to blame than the other.

My LG is tired. We are thinking of replacing it with an I-phone. I have a friend at Ford that's trying to learn from co-workers if it works better than LG. His Blackberry has problems with MFT. What's curious is the LG works fine on our 2010 Ford Edge Limited. Fortunately, we do drive and talk on the cell often.

You may know, Microsoft is the one now re-writting the code, is that correct? From what I read a small company developed the code for the MFT that's currently in the Focus. I haven't been able to read of an ETA on any of that, but know technology one of the things that are rarely on time anyways, but curious if you've heard anything there yet!

Microsoft is helping a lot but the story I heard is that Ford has in-house folks leading it. Hard to say how much MS is or is not actually doing. The small company was BSQUARE - started by former MS employees. I think the new code will debut in the 2013 Flex sometime next year. Not sure when it would be available for retrofit but I do believe Ford learned their lesson and it won't happen again.

It takes awhile getting use to the rain sensing wipers but we are there now. Love the keyless push button start.

How do the rain sensing wipers work for you? I feel mine are OCD, they will quickly change from delay, to fast, to slow in a matter of 10 seconds. Also, if I leave them in auto and turn off the car, even if the windshield is dry when I restart the car, they will wipe once on the dry windshield.

Edited by svtenthusiast

My LG is tired. We are thinking of replacing it with an I-phone. I have a friend at Ford that's trying to learn from co-workers if it works better than LG. His Blackberry has problems with MFT. What's curious is the LG works fine on our 2010 Ford Edge Limited. Fortunately, we do drive and talk on the cell often.

I've done the iPhone before and had no better luck than the LG (Well, slightly better, but not too noticeably). The best ones, from my personal experience, are HTC and Samsung. I've had 3 HTC and 2 Samsungs in the past year and all worked beautifully with any bluetooth device!

I've done the iPhone before and had no better luck than the LG (Well, slightly better, but not too noticeably). The best ones, from my personal experience, are HTC and Samsung. I've had 3 HTC and 2 Samsungs in the past year and all worked beautifully with any bluetooth device!

I unpaired my LG and paired it with an I-Phone 4. So far it works fine.

Microsoft is helping a lot but the story I heard is that Ford has in-house folks leading it. Hard to say how much MS is or is not actually doing. The small company was BSQUARE - started by former MS employees. I think the new code will debut in the 2013 Flex sometime next year. Not sure when it would be available for retrofit but I do believe Ford learned their lesson and it won't happen again.

The rumbling I've heard is that they are targeting a 'major update' for Q4 this year. I don't know if this will be the major rewrite, or just a stopgap until that comes along.

I've also heard that there is a more minor update in testing right now.

Do we know what the latest version is so far? When I eventually pick up my car, I'd like the dealer to make sure they've installed the latest version (not that I'm expecting miracles or anything). I'm just crossing my fingers, praying and whatever else I can do to hopefully reduce the amount of aggravation I've been reading about lately. :titanic:

Do we know what the latest version is so far? When I eventually pick up my car, I'd like the dealer to make sure they've installed the latest version (not that I'm expecting miracles or anything). I'm just crossing my fingers, praying and whatever else I can do to hopefully reduce the amount of aggravation I've been reading about lately. :titanic:

There is only one version - I don't know the number off hand - They have been installing it on the line since late April, and every car made before that was updated before shipping. Your dealer won't have anything newer then is on it.

For reference, the shipping version is 4.23.11081

To check yours:

Have MFT on, but the 'stereo' Off.

Press and hold the eject and next track buttons on the center stack (below the CD slot).

After a few seconds the screen will change. It may dump you into a stereo test, if you, just hit the button to leave the test.

Now hit the button for APIM, then Software versions. Listed unter CCPU.

[

Today our MFT went dark i.e., no screen, no radio, no NAV, no synch phone. We went to our dealership. They disconnected the battery to "reboot" the system. It worked. They could find no problem. We were their first 2012 Focus with the condition but they had seen it with the new Edge, Ugh. Making this extra tough is the location of the battery. I was hoping I could service the condition myself if it reoccurs but the battery is tucked under the cowl panel.

Today our MFT went dark i.e., no screen, no radio, no NAV, no synch phone. We went to our dealership. They disconnected the battery to "reboot" the system. It worked. They could find no problem. We were their first 2012 Focus with the condition but they had seen it with the new Edge, Ugh. Making this extra tough is the location of the battery. I was hoping I could service the condition myself if it reoccurs but the battery is tucked under the cowl panel.

From what I've read about others having that issue, just pulling the fuse for the MTF will do the same. That should be a little easier to access than the battery may be!

From what I've read about others having that issue, just pulling the fuse for the MTF will do the same. That should be a little easier to access than the battery may be!

Thanks! I attempted to find the fuse panel inside (passenger side under the glove box). I'd need a flashlight and reading glasses (old eyes). May have to do that next time.

• Like 1

I had a "SYNC performing system maintenance" episode yesterday afternoon while driving. Sound system suddenly went dead along with the touchscreen followed by the SYNC message screen and progress bar. During the "maintenance", Sirius began playing again on the channel I was listening to before the event. Once the system had completed its maintenance (perhaps two minutes, maybe less) the touchscreen refreshed and all systems were restored to normal and their settings prior to the event. It was a little disconcerting at first, but in the end, not a big deal.

Thanks! I attempted to find the fuse panel inside (passenger side under the glove box). I'd need a flashlight and reading glasses (old eyes). May have to do that next time.

After some checking, I learned that Ford published a TSB for the 2011 Edge with the same symptom. The first step is to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes followed by some software checks. The technician knew what to do because of his experience with the Edge. By the way, all my programming continued after the fix including NAV destimations, phone contacts, radio stations etc. Thank goodness.

Edited by tspindle

I had a "SYNC performing system maintenance" episode yesterday afternoon while driving. Sound system suddenly went dead along with the touchscreen followed by the SYNC message screen and progress bar. During the "maintenance", Sirius began playing again on the channel I was listening to before the event. Once the system had completed its maintenance (perhaps two minutes, maybe less) the touchscreen refreshed and all systems were restored to normal and their settings prior to the event. It was a little disconcerting at first, but in the end, not a big deal.

I've had that happen MANY times with my new Focus, although every time has been right after starting the car, making it less annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had that happen MANY times with my new Focus, although every time has been right after starting the car, making it less annoying.

The maintenance event happened for the first time yesterday. We were nervous the screen wouldn't return. It did.

We've already made one trip to the dealership when the screen went dark, the radio stopped, no navigation. The dealer disconnected the battery per Ford's instructions to reboot the system. Took 1 1/2 hours to do the reset at the dealership because the battery is under the cowl.

We are making a trip to Ohio this weekend and really need a reliable Nav system. Here's hoping.