Orange 1978 Ford Pinto

One of my earliest memories was sitting in the backseat of my mother's brown Pinto looking up through the windows because I was too small to see over the sill. I just remember how hot and sticky those vinyl seats were, even at the age of 2 I could tell the car sucked ;)

Edited by BORG

I have a college friend with an orange (with fake wood siding) Mercury Bobcat. The interior was a tan/brown plaid pattern (is has a name that starts with a "k" as I recall, but I'd have no idea what it's called). It was 4-wheeled ugly.

I recall there were Pintos with V6s and V8s back then, however. One of those might actually be a pretty decent getaway car.

My mother lied to me and told me we were poor. When the '86 Taurus came out I thought it was beautiful and great, she said we couldn't afford it because it had 4 doors and only rich people could afford 4 door cars...as we had 2 new MBenz coupes and an F150. Then she would make her case stronger by saying "do you not notice how you dont see any cars like ours around? Because we cant afford what everyone"...And I was like 7yo, what did I know? lol I can tell you this, I never through a fit at a store wanting something though, and now I see why she would say that when I see some kids have a nuclear meltdown at store which should be taken into the bathroom for a good beating...

In defense of the Pinto, the early years were cool (71-73) then they got ugly. Car&Driver raced one successfully.

My link

I had a light blue 72 coupe with a sunroof and 4 speed.....fun little car!

They did have 2.8 V6's later, but no V8s, at least not from the factory. It was a popular swap, as were later Thunderbird Turbo 4s.