Simple QUESTION

Apology accepted AND APPRECIATED!!! As I said, I wasn't asking about aftermarket anything; only if it had expandable capabilities like a port in the glovebox or under the dash. But, seeing first hand how "salespeople' mask their identities when populating forums just to sell or push something, well, I can understand your reaction. I fly children with cancer to hospitals they otherwise couldn't afford to get to and families with children with cerebral palsy who just want to go for a ride before they die and I had a 4-level spine fusion and now frequent Spine-Health chatrooms and forums just to talk about my experiences from the table looking up so people looking at surgery have the perspective of someone other than a doctor or medical device salesman and IT UNNERVES ME no end when I find someone posing as a patient or sufferer on the Boards trying to push their product or denigrate someone else's just because they see a sales market. So i completely understand your reaction. I didn't look at it that way but I really just didf want to know if there was a port somewhere. I mean, I need that more than I need to know if all my RFD-tagged tools are back in my truckbox...although that might come in handy with some surgeons I know who can't seem to keep track of their hemostats and other implements! ;-) Anyway, as I said, apology accepted and appreciated. if you are a Ford dealer for 25-years, you've really got a great product there. I think I'll stay away from the computer for now though.

Hah!!! "Think Fiat". THAT'S all that needs to be said. That's a hoot! OK, Sync it is then. You know, I have the darndest time getting comfortable flying an all-glass cockpit for that exact reason. The blue screens of death. At least on the ground you can pull over. Up there in IMC (think fog where you can't see the end of your hood), it's more than a little nerve-racking. We have backups of course but it's just not the same as pre-2000 aircraft that had electric gauges and vacuum redundancy. I think like you, I'm just an old codger...at 53. Who'da thought!?!?

Edited by jlames

Jlames, there are many high end car audio shops here in the LA area who would be better qualified to answer your questions than a dealer salesperson. An audio shop does this type of work all the time (multiple screens, computers, etc.) There was even a nationally televised cable TV show about a well known shop located inside a very large Ford dealer in the Valley. I'd bet if you contacted them, they could go on for an hour about what they could do to 'pimp your ride' with everything you want and none of the blank stares you're experiencing trying to have Ford do for you at the factory.

Sometimes you have to look around to find the right people for the job at hand.

OH, yeah; THAT's what I need. Have you ever seen a "pimped out" horse??? OK, Just kidding. I guess that's where I'll ask next. I fighure you're talking about Galpin and they've always been GREAT. I'm just really am a big believer in "The Factory" when it comes to a $68k truck or our Mercedes and things like that. My Harley DWFXD is a dream come true for the aftermarket shops and they all did a GREAT job on various parts with 6 magazine covers under its belt and I know the scales tip way the other way when it comes to the factory v. performance shop debate and alot of the time I'm on that end of the scales but with this truck, I want to saddle up and ride and when something does go wrong, I want every bit of that 100k warranty in my hip pocket. None of that, "Well, it's not a factory mod and that voids your warranty. I grew up on '69 Chevelles and Camaros when you could bop down to the Van Nuys Speed Shop, buy some Hooker headers and and 850 double-pumper, get a pair of some 202FI heads from Pink's Performance off Sepulveda and Saticoy and, as Darryl Waltrip says, "Have at it boys!". But the vehicles today are NASA-designed/Ford-built so if there was a way to have the factory install a flip-flop monitor sequence, I'd go that way first. But I guess not. However, I'd think there's a HUGE market for a dual display where you could just plug in a second video source and switch between cameras; the standard rear view monitor and a horse or even car or boat trailer camera. For me at least, it'd really tip the sales possibility in Ford's favor. Most, or maybe not most but alot of people who buy trucks, buy them for towing and auxiliary cameras are a big thing with us. We like to see what's going on back there with, in our case, the horses and not having to have a second, aftermarket monitor cluttering up a great looking interior, for us at least, would be a huge benefit.

• Like 1

I just spoke with Galpin. Seems they have had "more than a few" requests for the dual monitor function but Ford doesn't offer it yet. It is, however, on their "to do list" because the horse target market is most interested in it and we're "a Huge market". Nothing like numbers to get a company to listen. So, not for now but in the future as I understand it. Thanks for the iPad heads up. I'll look at it.

I just spoke with Galpin.

Shoot, man, I thought you'd been to Galpin--and if they didn't know, well nobody would.

BTW: I get your frustration with sales reps today, but the market is both more complex and more focused on the bottom line than it used to be. It's a cutthroat environment, and that doesn't necessarily lend itself to sales reps putting more effort into a sale (especially when they aren't going to clean up on a $68k pickup). It's a competitive environment with little incentive to go the extra mile, and that's not just the case with Ford--

Also, that's too bad about not making anything on a $68k truck. I guess I just don't get the car business. $68k's alot to me. I mean, what do they expect? How much more expensive can a pickup truck be. I honestly though I'd about reached, to steal an alalogy again, pretty close to the Maybach of pickup trucks. I didn't want to exceed 10k by getting a 350 or 450 that would put me in the commercial range. I mean, how much higher can you go in the 3/4 ton pickup truck sales business. My wife and I paid more for her new ML350 and the Mercedes people treated us 1000 times better than Ford did and you can go ALOT higher on a Mercedes. But even though we weren't buying a top of the line AMG SL, they answered all our questions, knew everything about their cars and didn't over sell but were just there while we were mussing over what we would get. I don't know; maybe its the difference in Mercedes salespersons and Ford. Buy a top of the line $68k truck and get dusted off by 7 out of 8 dealers. Buy a midline $75k ML from Mercedes and get treated like you're buying a $200k top of the like Mercedes. I don't know.Tired of screwing with it.

• Like 1

Also, that's too bad about not making anything on a $68k truck. I guess I just don't get the car business.

It is weird....

In my experience, dealers often pull a higher profit per unit from used cars, and sales reps tend to get a higher commission (as a percentage of sales price) on a used car sale.

I'm pretty sure the rep selling you the F250 will make more than he will off a Fiesta, but it's not like it'll be some windfall commission, and some dealerships pay a flat commission regardless of transaction price--ostensibly to prevent sales reps and sales managers from pressuring customers into bad deals.

Big profits for dealers are F&I stuff, used vehicles (if they manage their portfolio right), and parts and service. New cars turn a profit, but they sure don't keep the lights on. At least that's how it is in my neck of the woods.

Earlier today I was so busy working and responding to this forum that I didn't have a chance to make up a scorecard. I just did and I think some people need to thanked. Others, maybe not so much.

Kev-Mo, Timmm55, Richard Jennsen and F250...great help and conversation. Deanh... wrong foot. Maybe if we traded sneakers and walked around for about an hour, we'd understand each other better. Thanks for extending the first olive branch. I accept. I expect to be on this board for a long time because I'm buying that truck if for no other reason than we're just a Ford Family. Would have been pretty easy to send us over to the dark side earlier by the comments going back and forth but the fact is, Ford is still the most reliable truck out there and the best looking one as well. And I'll be here on the Board after the sale for the same reason I hang out at SpineHealth.com... answering questions from people who are looking down the double barrels of surgery scared to death not knowing what to expect because their doctors will only say "Don't wrorry. I'm a doctor." People who come here, like they do on my cancer site with Angel Flight, my cerebral palsy site with Make a Wish and Spine Health all are looking for reliable information and from what I can tell, you all qualify as caring. So stop lobbing dirtbags at me from over a fence where I can't see you and I'll post all my experiencecs andhelp people like me who just want some help fro here. If that's OK with you Mr. Moderator.

Heck, for an entrepreneurial EE, a switch that you could splice inline with the existing video that auto-switches over to another camera when it's plugged in, I bet in a couple days you could design a board and start selling a kit...

Alas, I'm neither entrepreneurial, nor an EE.

Unfortunately if Ford wanted to offer something like that, it would take far more detailed engineering and supply chain management to do it "right" for all the places and miles its trucks have to operate.

Edited by Noah Harbinger

so now we should learn all about the aftermarket add ons?....where exactly does it end guys...seriously?.....

I was addressing jlames, since it is his camera. This sort of minutia I would NOT expect a salesman to know. But if a salesman sold a lot of F150s, it may be worth noting.

I was addressing jlames, since it is his camera. This sort of minutia I would NOT expect a salesman to know. But if a salesman sold a lot of F150s, it may be worth noting.

dare I say I have sold more than anyone on this entire site :shades: ....lol.......never been asked once about additional cameras etc...if i was i would refer to an aftermarket vender I had confidence in......pretty niche need in this neck of the woods....

Ah ha!!! Al and Ed's stereo in California just successfully did what I was talking about. the problem is opening the systems case to get to the motherboard to add an input jack and a software re config to switch between the now 2 screens completely voids any warranty. AArgh! But it can be done and they said the same thing Galpin said yesterday; "Don't be surprised if you see it as a standard config on truck systems in the next couple of years,. Problem is cars don't really need the capability but trucks, because they haul alot of trailers with cargo drivers want to keep an eye on while driving, especially horses, will use the heck out of it. So, there we go.

Ah ha!!! Al and Ed's stereo in California just successfully did what I was talking about. the problem is opening the systems case to get to the motherboard to add an input jack and a software re config to switch between the now 2 screens completely voids any warranty. AArgh! But it can be done and they said the same thing Galpin said yesterday; "Don't be surprised if you see it as a standard config on truck systems in the next couple of years,. Problem is cars don't really need the capability but trucks, because they haul alot of trailers with cargo drivers want to keep an eye on while driving, especially horses, will use the heck out of it. So, there we go.

excellent! Al and Eds has been around for decades....

Just saw your last post. You definitely sell more than I do. I'm just a buyer!

yup, buts certain needs for certain customers are definitely diverse for sure...amazing how broad the business can become...glad you have it handled...another source is a company called Shelbys. They install backup cameras, aftermarket power windows etc...

How about the "Shelbys" company that'd add a custom modification that includes carefully reducing the angle of the bed gate from precisely zero to an exact and full 90 degrees being careful to certify that the exact measurements between the bed walls and the floor are equidistant from front to rear assuring no paralax from base to apex, quadrilateral university and equality along the length of the container and volume continuity and then inserting, ever so carefully, A '65 SHELBY COBRA to fill the void created!!! I'm no engineer but THAT's a Shelby mod I could really live with. And I wouldn't need a second camera because I couldn't take my eyes off it anyway!

Therein lies the rub......a salesperson may actually know about something like your camera, or a performance chip, but that voids the warranty. Is it something to mention to a buyer? Sometimes it may even be illegal, and is better left unsaid.

Therein lies the rub......a salesperson may actually know about something like your camera, or a performance chip, but that voids the warranty. Is it something to mention to a buyer? Sometimes it may even be illegal, and is better left unsaid.

yup, if its wired into the factory head unit and something gos wrong, game over...if its independent, no issues....there is also a way with the rear veiw camera of snipping a couple of wires to have it Permanently showing....I walked away with my fingers in my ears before I was told which one...give that advice and something gos awry...guess who the customer comes lookin for...ramifications NOT good

Edited by Deanh