Jaguar C-X16

Focus06

IMHO, B-

It's very nice — but not great.

Jag may say that it's a Boxter/Cayman competitor, but it appears to be a much more expensive vehicle. The supercharged V-6 has got to be expensive compared to the NA Porsche engines. IMHO, it does not really offer much of a difference from the "basic" V-8 Jag.

As well, supercharging does not allow the flexibility of, say, an EB-type turbocharging set-up, for economy and emissions control.

It's not Ford's problem, I hope Tata build it, for the learning experience. Me, I'll buy a used Cayman, thanks. :)

IMHO, B-

It's very nice — but not great.

Jag may say that it's a Boxter/Cayman competitor, but it appears to be a much more expensive vehicle. The supercharged V-6 has got to be expensive compared to the NA Porsche engines. IMHO, it does not really offer much of a difference from the "basic" V-8 Jag.

As well, supercharging does not allow the flexibility of, say, an EB-type turbocharging set-up, for economy and emissions control.

It's not Ford's problem, I hope Tata build it, for the learning experience. Me, I'll buy a used Cayman, thanks. :)

Miss the "Push to Pass" feature? It's both a performance boost and can run 50 miles in Eco-mode.

It's a car you'd need to see in person, the video looks better, fluid in motion.

She looks like she has some Aston Martin design features (the back half). Which is not bad, since AM are to top of the litter when it comes to looks.

Quite a bit different from the XJ and XF's though. Too bad Ford didn't still own Jag. When I strike it rich, they would have been the first dealership I walked into.

• Like 1

Sorry, it's REALLY nice, but it is not exceptional.

It's just my opinion, but there's a "committee" feeling to the overall design, without definite thematic expression.

Then there's the electro-boost drive system, which may or may not be a great idea, but it sure can't be sold at Boxter/Cayman prices. They tout its 180 mph top end. That's ZO-6 territory — and cost. Sure hope they build it, it gives them something to do.

Meanwhile, IIRC, Porsche is working on something smaller than the Boxter/Cayman. :)

Sorry, it's REALLY nice, but it is not exceptional.

It's just my opinion, but there's a "committee" feeling to the overall design, without definite thematic expression.

Then there's the electro-boost drive system, which may or may not be a great idea, but it sure can't be sold at Boxter/Cayman prices. They tout its 180 mph top end. That's ZO-6 territory — and cost. Sure hope they build it, it gives them something to do.

Meanwhile, IIRC, Porsche is working on something smaller than the Boxter/Cayman. :)

FYI...since Cows are considered sacred in India, where will they get the hides from...gasp!

Hurrah a proper Jaguar that's not a Mondeo in drag. Tata sure know how to run a company and also generate lots of profit.

Would Tata be doing any of this if Ford hadn't made the sale conditional of them funding J/LR's next product cycles?

That's what good owners do when they sell discarded brands to someone who might not understand their needs and costs..

Generate lots of profit to pay the near $8 billion in future product development costs,

sorry but Ford has been there and done that, time for Tata to spend their money.

In the last 18 months, Ford has paid off $20 billion in debt and earned around $ 11 billion in profit,

all happening after they got rid of Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo, so good luck J/LR but Ford comes first.

Edit,

Nice car Jaguar, keep up the good work.

Edited by jpd80

To be fair I think the biggest thing Jaguar/ Land Rover has going for it now is it's UK management and it's Indian backers.

Would the X type and S type ever have been signed off with British management making the styling decisions? No. Ian Callum has already stated that the X type was pushed on Jaguar by Dearborn and it was actually largely styled in the US. It was the biggest disaster in Jag's corporate history. The last pre-Ford decision made was to build the F type, which was 'cancelled' by Ford only to turn up as the Aston Martin DB7. Oops.

The XF was a largely British led design signed off by Ford.... pattern?

To be fair I think the biggest thing Jaguar/ Land Rover has going for it now is it's UK management and it's Indian backers.

Would the X type and S type ever have been signed off with British management making the styling decisions? No. Ian Callum has already stated that the X type was pushed on Jaguar by Dearborn and it was actually largely styled in the US. It was the biggest disaster in Jag's corporate history. The last pre-Ford decision made was to build the F type, which was 'cancelled' by Ford only to turn up as the Aston Martin DB7. Oops.

Only one car was "pushed" onto Jaguar, you can't blame the rest of the tragedy on Ford, they gave J/LR free reign

on the rest and it didn't work. The late Geoff Polites was transferred from FoA to get J/LR in shape before sale and

that included the product you see now, all signed off by Ford.

So, stop linking J/LR's success today with Tata, that's all due to Ford funding the previous product cycle, without that

funding by Ford, Tata would have never bought in. So now it's Tata's turn to pay, and pay they will because you can't

deliver the new XF, S-Type and XK on a shoe string budget. J/LR may well bring in a lot of profit for Tata and all

partners may do well from it but the up front funding is huge, that was Ford's biggest problem and why they sold out.

actually, im not sure the X type was the biggest disaster...after the series 3 Jaguar burdened their loyal with vehicles that had NOTHING but problems, collapsing rear suspensions ring a bell, how about electrical issues?.....a LOT of Jaguar loyalists began looking elsewhere after experiencing issue after issue after issue...patience and loyalty only go so far....