2007 Superduty.

GT40 2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow, that is the stupidest looking thing i've ever seen. thank god they're still using the same cab so i can bolt the old front end on before someone saw me driving one of those things. i'd only buy one for the new powerstroke, after it's proven it's reliable. i'm extremely disappointed in that truck.

Ed, Did he drop any hints on 650/750 or the tandem issue?

The non-compete clause with Freightliner over the Sterling sale expires in 11/07. I am getting hints of heavier duty GVWR's at that time. I am keeping my fingers crossed as that will open a lot of markets for us, even just being able to go to a heavier single axle truck [35-36,000 GVWR]. A lot of municipalities spec 35K for their plow trucks as well asa lot of single axle fire trucks; both vocations we used to be a leader in.

The non-compete clause with Freightliner over the Sterling sale expires in 11/07. I am getting hints of heavier duty GVWR's at that time. I am keeping my fingers crossed as that will open a lot of markets for us, even just being able to go to a heavier single axle truck [35-36,000 GVWR]. A lot of municipalities spec 35K for their plow trucks as well asa lot of single axle fire trucks; both vocations we used to be a leader in.

You are right on that. As municipals are exempt from FET, there is no reason to stick to a 33,000 lb package. A large leasing outfit that specializes in municipal deals is located not too far from me. they move a fair amount of 650's, but you rarely see a 750. Plenty of Sterlings and Binders. Speaking of Sterling, they now have a specific web site for municipal buyers.

I'm sure there are those who would argue that municipal bid business does not generate a lot of profit. I take the position that sales like that help "pay the light bill". Plus its exposure. Everytime there is a news story on the latest snow storm, what do you see? Shots of plows. Still plenty of L series on the roads, but time is marching on. Latest purchases by both States of Maine, Mass. and Conn --Internationals!

Update on options for the 2008 superduty:

-New axles for increased payload

-Electronic throttle control for all engines

-Electro hydraulic braking / hydraulic launch assist

-Trailer tow lighting system

-Power point in pickup box for trailer tow

-New load monitoring system

-Optional rear load leveling air suspension

-New standard SLA front suspension for 250 4x2/4x4 and 350 4x2 pickup

and optional for 350 4x4

-New rack and pinion steering for SLA

-Single fill dual fuel tanks

-Satellite radio option

-DVD/rear seat entertainment system option for Crew Cab

-Navigation system

-Cold weather package(heated seats ,steering wheel, remote start, etc.)

-Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)

-New front seats, rear slouch seat and fold flat for super cab, sliding second

row with hidden track, tip and fold flat for Crew Cab

-New exterior apperance-hood, fenders,front end,box and tailgate outers

-New front fascia and bumper design

-Moon roof for super cab.

Production date for this 2008 SD will be Jan. 2007.

I think it means 'short-long arm', as in upper and lower control arms.

You know, I think the SLA will be fine, just as long as there's still an F350 that you can get a solid front axle on, similar to 80's and 90's when the F250 had a similar IFS to the F150 but the F350 had SFA. I have an '02 F250 right now and I do love the SFA, but that was because I had plans on keeping the truck for a long time and gettin a lift at some point. Since those plans have since changed I'd probably have been better off with a more comfortable SLA front suspension. I just want there to still be an option of a SFA in Ford's trucks somewhere.

Based on my own experiences, I like IFS on full size 4X4 pickups. I think the handle and ride better, and I have not had any more trouble with IFS compared to a straight axle. Yes, the GM IFS can have CV joint boot trouble in freezing weather, if they get packed with ice and snow. But, the plasic ball joints on the Super Duty front axles are weak, and prone to wearing out. There are certain situations off road where a straight axle has an advantage, but full size trucks are not good for hard-core off-roading anyway. Straight axle trucks are certainly easier to lift, if you are in to that sort of thing.

Update on options for the 2008 superduty:

-Electro hydraulic braking / hydraulic launch assist

Production date for this 2008 SD will be Jan. 2007.

Are you sure about this feature? Isn't hydraulic launch assist that hydraulic hybrid technology that had people buzzing earlier this year?

Bob

I sure hope we have the option of a solid front axle, Ford's sales out here in Montana will take a nose dive just like Chevy's did when they went to IFS.

The last time I checked, Ford was in the business of selling right? I think that Ford looks at it and says, who is buying these trucks? People pulling campers here and there are the major buyers, these people drive them to town and use them as cars. Do these people want the strength of a solid axle, or the comfort of IFS? IFS seems stupid to me too, but Ford wants to sell trucks so they please the majority and not the minority.

Off topic but does anyone have new info on the 6.4? I read the powerpoint, it looks good on paper but will it get the job done when it needs too? I kinda like that new fuel injection though.

New 2008's look fine to me, but I do wanna see a crew cab short wheel base 4x4 though.

I don't think we will see an 'F-850', even when the no-compete clause ends with Freightliner. First, sales of the F-650 and F-750 have been less than spectacular. The truck is built by International, a competitor to Ford, and I don't think International wants Ford competing in the heavy duty segment. And, since the majority of the Ford commercial truck dealers are also Sterling dealers, there would be a lot of competition right on the dealer lots for an 'F-850'. As it is now, the Fords don't overlap with the Sterlings too much.

Sorry fellas, I didn't mean to create a frienzy. So far all of the 08' S.D.'s we have built for testing have all had the solid front axles on 4x4's. As far as IFS, I havn't seen one yet. This could be just an option. The next time I see a launch engineer, I will ask about SLA and IFS. In the mean time, the solid front axle will be available on the 08'.

Torque87 They're probably right- but as the guy in both the Chevy and Ford biz can attest to, the customers that are primarily concerned with RV pulling and on-pavement ride will buy a Chevy/GMC in the first place. Ford is percieved as the "tougher" truck, and that solid front axle plays a big part in that perception. For those that go off-road, or lift their trucks, it's no joke.

Torque87 They're probably right- but as the guy in both the Chevy and Ford biz can attest to, the customers that are primarily concerned with RV pulling and on-pavement ride will buy a Chevy/GMC in the first place. Ford is percieved as the "tougher" truck, and that solid front axle plays a big part in that perception. For those that go off-road, or lift their trucks, it's no joke.

Yeah, you are probably right, but why wouldn't Ford want to go after those people buying Chevs/GMC's? I'd like them to stick with the coil setup on the 05/06, it seems to work good for me.

Yeah, you are probably right, but why wouldn't Ford want to go after those people buying Chevs/GMC's? I'd like them to stick with the coil setup on the 05/06, it seems to work good for me.

I'd prefer them to be different- and this is strictly from the standpoint of selling them on the fleet/retail end. Right now, there are clear and compelling reasons to choose either a Chevy or a Ford. Confuse the issue, and I think you're more likely to make a Dodge customer than convert a Chevy buyer to Ford.

I have to disagree here. As someone that has towed travel trailers and 5'ers. I'll take an SD over Chevy/GMC anyday. The PS is a much better tow motor than the Duramax will ever be.

I've towed with all three brands and Ford is easily the best combo as far as power, economy and overall experience.

Ford's Camper Special package is also better than the others and the new integrated brake controller is an excellent implementation.