Z-Plan question

My father is eligible for the Z-Plan. He is purchasing me a car for graduating college. Since I already have a vehicle (which someone is purchasing this week), and I am going to transfer my registration/title/insurance to the new car. So my question is, is it possible for him to purchase it in my name if it is a cash purchase, with no financing involved? If not how would I go about it and what is the best solution for this scenario.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

My father is eligible for the Z-Plan. He is purchasing me a car for graduating college. Since I already have a vehicle (which someone is purchasing this week), and I am going to transfer my registration/title/insurance to the new car. So my question is, is it possible for him to purchase it in my name if it is a cash purchase, with no financing involved? If not how would I go about it and what is the best solution for this scenario.

Thank you.

It depends on your relationship to the retiree. If it is your father or grandfather yes. If it is your uncle or aunt no.

Thank you.

How you pay for it doesn't matter. BTW - you don't transfer your registration and title to the new car. The registration and title go with the car to the new owner. You'll get the registration and title to the new one and you'll remove the old vehicle from your insurance and add the new one. As long as you are Z-plan eligible (and it sounds like you are) then you're all set.

My question that still was not answered is that if my dad buys me the car for graduation since he is zplan eligble, am i able to put it in my name at the dealership or do I have to go to the dmv and put it in my name?

The Z plan rules should allow you to use the pin to purchase the vehicle in your name. It usually includes immediate family. Check with the dealer.

My question that still was not answered is that if my dad buys me the car for graduation since he is zplan eligble, am i able to put it in my name at the dealership or do I have to go to the dmv and put it in my name?

If your dad is the retiree yes. If not it depends on your relationship to the retiree. To tell you yes or no we need to know how you are related to the retiree.

If your dad is the retiree yes. If not it depends on your relationship to the retiree. To tell you yes or no we need to know how you are related to the retiree.

Didn't think about that. Worst case your dad has to put it in his name and he can transfer it to you after a certain length of time. The rules are on the plan website.

What is the website because I cannot find it. What is the length of time?

You seem to be avoiding the question on how you are related to the person providing the z plan pin. That tells me you know the answer to your own question. It also tells me that you are trying to cheat the system.

You seem to be avoiding the question on how you are related to the person providing the z plan pin. That tells me you know the answer to your own question. It also tells me that you are trying to cheat the system.

No, my dad is the one purchasing so we were trying to figure it out. But thank you for the accusation, it is appreciated.

No, my dad is the one purchasing so we were trying to figure it out. But thank you for the accusation, it is appreciated.

The question was - is your dad the retiree which makes you eligible for the Z plan pin or is your dad related to the retiree (his dad e.g.) which means he would be eligible for the PIN but you may not since the retiree is your grandfather.

Is your dad the retiree?

• 4 weeks later...

Now that we got to source for the Z plan pin I can tell you that the car can be titled directly to you. As a grandchild you are an eligible family member.

Gosh, I wonder if this person is one of my clients. Sometimes, just getting a straight answer to a question only designed to ensure accurate responses is like pulling teeth.