Ford is getting ready

nonunion slug

I have posted in the past and am interested in joining a union. Many of you have helped and I have contacted the parties I was told about. I was told it would be a long process if it ever happened. That being said, I think you should know what is going on in my world, the salaried world, behind the scenes regarding this agreement.

I have been reading your interesting tete-a-tetes about your tentative agreement. I’m not hourly. But, for all you hourly workers out there, I think you should know something, Ford is getting prepared for a strike.

How do I know about this? I was in an impromptu meeting today called by my manager. Some salaried employees who have been on plant launches for builds have been contacted. We were told by the end of next week, all of them will have been contacted. There were about 20 salaried employees in this meeting today. The company is very worried the agreement will be voted down and there will be a strike.

I don’t know how a strike works, if it’s one plant or everybody, but Ford is getting prepared. Let me just say that the meeting today wasn’t a “touchy feely” get together about our past plant experiences. It was about which plants we would be sent to if there was a strike. Of course this created a lot of concern. I don’t want to go where there will be very angry union members out on strike. We were told, “don’t worry about it—we have you covered”. I didn’t know what that meant, so I did some more digging and found out that Ford has been in contact with a company called MADI Corp.—a strike breaking company. Here are links to them--

http://www.madicorp.com/strike-replacement-workers/

I contacted my buddies who are at different plants and they told me they were approached by management and they will have an important meeting soon.

My manager told me that Ford cannot stop production and the union members will look very bad to the public. Ford will look great standing up to the union and will have public support.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

• Like 5

This post above wreaks pretty badly of company or union scare tactics.

#1, There won't be a strike, so I for one have a very hard time believing the company is having meetings because they are "worried about it".

#2, We as union workers ALWAYS look bad to the general public, so what difference does it make what we say or do?

#3, As far as the company employing security goons...This isn't the 1930's. Even if Henry came back to life and brough along his old buddy Harry Bennet along, in this day of instant media and everyone carrying smart phones, the company wouldn't be that stupid. Even if they were there are plenty of workers who are just as handy with a gun as any strike breaking thug.

• Like 1

#1, There won't be a strike, so I for one have a very hard time believing the company is having meetings because they are "worried about it".

#2, We as union workers ALWAYS look bad to the general public, so what difference does it make what we say or do?

#3, As far as the company employing security goons...This isn't the 1930's. Even if Henry came back to life and brough along his old buddy Harry Bennet along, in this day of instant media and everyone carrying smart phones, the company wouldn't be that stupid. Even if they were there are plenty of workers who are just as handy with a gun as any strike breaking thug.

It may not be true. But, this maybe worse than the 1930s. We have Republican governors in many (formerly) pro-union states such as Michigan and Ohio. The Republicans are trying to break unions and have been succesful to a certain extent in Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, New Jersey and Florida. The media is run by Fox News types that hate unions. So, it may not be true, but it could actually be possible.

• Like 4

It may not be true. But, this maybe worse than the 1930s. We have Republican governors in many (formerly) pro-union states such as Michigan and Ohio. The Republicans are trying to break unions and have been succesful to a certain extent in Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, New Jersey and Florida. The media is run by Fox News types that hate unions. So, it may not be true, but it could actually be possible.

Could be, but even though republicans would like to see the union go bye-bye, they aren't going to be able to flaunt the law, violate rights and break people's heads to do it. Seems as though most right-wingers are more pissed about public sector unions anyway, and as far as Fox News and Limbaugh, it's just so much hot air and sensationalism, and pretty girls in stripper heels.

• Like 1

I mostly agree with your post. People hate the UAW and hourly workers who make decent wages and think we are overpaid no matter what. The reality is that with the economy the way it is nobody has any sympathy for people with a job who are getting offered a bonus to keep their jobs. That's just how people on the outside see it. Dealing with those problems are the job of PR people, though, not us. We need to decide if this is a good agreement for us.

I also don't think there will be a strike. At least I hope not.

As far as Ford hiring people IF (big IF with a capital I and F) there was a strike, these madicorp people provide temp employees and not just security. it says so on their website. So, hypothetically, (just being real) it wouldn't be that big of a Public Relations hit or a stretch for Ford to hire temps through this or some other company to keep vehicles coming out of plants. I mean, think about this from the company point of view. What's the upside to coming back to the table? Why not just hire temps, which the majority of America would support, lower vehicle costs, and break up the UAW that people hate?

Just to be clear: that's all highly hypotheticel and pot stirring (maybe give some people ammunitiion to shit on the company :stirpot: )

I'm still not decided on this agreement. From the highlihts, there's some stuff that I like in there, but there's a healthy portion of BS too. I'm going to read through the whole agreement and make my decision based on the whole and not one or two clauses here and there.

• Like 3

I mostly agree with your post. People hate the UAW and hourly workers who make decent wages and think we are overpaid no matter what. The reality is that with the economy the way it is nobody has any sympathy for people with a job who are getting offered a bonus to keep their jobs. That's just how people on the outside see it. Dealing with those problems are the job of PR people, though, not us. We need to decide if this is a good agreement for us.

I also don't think there will be a strike. At least I hope not.

As far as Ford hiring people IF (big IF with a capital I and F) there was a strike, these madicorp people provide temp employees and not just security. it says so on their website. So, hypothetically, (just being real) it wouldn't be that big of a Public Relations hit or a stretch for Ford to hire temps through this or some other company to keep vehicles coming out of plants. I mean, think about this from the company point of view. What's the upside to coming back to the table? Why not just hire temps, which the majority of America would support, lower vehicle costs, and break up the UAW that people hate?

Just to be clear: that's all highly hypotheticel and pot stirring (maybe give some people ammunitiion to shit on the company :stirpot: )

I'm still not decided on this agreement. From the highlihts, there's some stuff that I like in there, but there's a healthy portion of BS too. I'm going to read through the whole agreement and make my decision based on the whole and not one or two clauses here and there.

Well, speaking seriously about the hypothetical scenario, any strike would be long over by the time the force of temps were trained sufficiently to keep the lines running.

Well, speaking seriously about the hypothetical scenario, any strike would be long over by the time the force of temps were trained sufficiently to keep the lines running.

Oh ok. I'm low seniority, and I've never been out on strike before. How long do you think a strike would last? Honestly, I'm kind of scared about the prospect.

EDIT: Not that I think it will happen, but if it did we only get like $200/week or something? That barely fills up my gas tank, just saying

Edited by poop
  • Like 1

IF, and a big IF, the majority of members decided to vote no on this agreement, it would only send the bargaining team back to negotiate some more, not put us out on strike. The IUAW would have to determine at some point that there was no hope of getting a better agreement and then call a company wide strike.

Edited by Twincam Harley

Oh ok. I'm low seniority, and I've never been out on strike before. How long do you think a strike would last? Honestly, I'm kind of scared about the prospect.

EDIT: Not that I think it will happen, but if it did we only get like $200/week or something?

You would need more than 30 years in to remember the last strike at Ford. I don't know anything more about going on strike than you do. other than I suppose you stand around and have insults hollered at you for $200 a week.

• Like 2

IF, and a big IF, the majority of members decided to vote no on this agreement, it would only send the bargaining team back to negotiate some more, not put us out on strike. The IUAW would have to determine at some point that there was no hope of getting a better agreement and then call a company wide strike.

My question is like (and again, I don't know a whole lot about this, so bear with me please) do you think we are going to get something better if they go back to the table? For instance, if we vote this down and they go back to the table, is the company going to be like "OK, we were holding out, here's COLA and pay raises and break time and holidays back"? Like, what do we expect if we send them back? I'm afraid if we send it back we will end up getting less.

I mean, i hear alot of people complaining that there's no COLA or raises in this agreement. .I just am not sure that we will get COLA or raises back if we send it back, and I'm not sure I'm ready to roll the dice, just being honest. I'm still trying to decide, though.

My question is like (and again, I don't know a whole lot about this, so bear with me please) do you think we are going to get something better if they go back to the table? For instance, if we vote this down and they go back to the table, is the company going to be like "OK, we were holding out, here's COLA and pay raises and break time and holidays back"? Like, what do we expect if we send them back? I'm afraid if we send it back we will end up getting less.

I mean, i hear alot of people complaining that there's no COLA or raises in this agreement. .I just am not sure that we will get COLA or raises back if we send it back, and I'm not sure I'm ready to roll the dice, just being honest. I'm still trying to decide, though.

I doubt it, each issue was negotiated, meaning the union started high and the company low, sure they reached somewhere in the middle, either way I don't think it's worth it to take a chance on a strike over a 6 minute break or a 25 cent cost of living.

• Like 4

I have posted in the past and am interested in joining a union. Many of you have helped and I have contacted the parties I was told about. I was told it would be a long process if it ever happened. That being said, I think you should know what is going on in my world, the salaried world, behind the scenes regarding this agreement.

I have been reading your interesting tete-a-tetes about your tentative agreement. I'm not hourly. But, for all you hourly workers out there, I think you should know something, Ford is getting prepared for a strike.

How do I know about this? I was in an impromptu meeting today called by my manager. Some salaried employees who have been on plant launches for builds have been contacted. We were told by the end of next week, all of them will have been contacted. There were about 20 salaried employees in this meeting today. The company is very worried the agreement will be voted down and there will be a strike.

I don't know how a strike works, if it's one plant or everybody, but Ford is getting prepared. Let me just say that the meeting today wasn't a "touchy feely" get together about our past plant experiences. It was about which plants we would be sent to if there was a strike. Of course this created a lot of concern. I don't want to go where there will be very angry union members out on strike. We were told, "don't worry about it—we have you covered". I didn't know what that meant, so I did some more digging and found out that Ford has been in contact with a company called MADI Corp.—a strike breaking company. Here are links to them--

http://www.madicorp....cement-workers/

I contacted my buddies who are at different plants and they told me they were approached by management and they will have an important meeting soon.

My manager told me that Ford cannot stop production and the union members will look very bad to the public. Ford will look great standing up to the union and will have public support.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

You are so full of shit your eyes are brown.

• Like 2

I doubt it, each issue was negotiated, meaning the union started high and the company low, sure they reached somewhere in the middle, either way I don't think it's worth it to take a chance on a strike over a 6 minute break or a 25 cent cost of living.

I don't think it's worth the risk either. No way, no how.

You better believe the line for scabs will be twice as long if a strike is called

That you can take to the bank.
  • Like 2

Thanks, I appreciate it. Like I said, I'm on the fence. I don't think this its amazing, but I also don't think its a steaming pile like some people think. It has good and bad stuff, but I just don't know if I want to roll the dice. I'm leaning towards a yes vote, unless something REALLY sticks out as a turd.

• Like 2

Stop being a pussy and grow some balls! Vote no on this bullshit! They will go back and negotiate some more. They do not want a strike. We deserve more than this. Its ok for Mullaly to make 27 million and not share the wealth. Im ready to strike if need be. At least I have some balls!

• Like 3

Stop being a pussy and grow some balls! Vote no on this bullshit! They will go back and negotiate some more. They do not want a strike. We deserve more than this. Its ok for Mullaly to make 27 million and not share the wealth. Im ready to strike if need be. At least I have some balls!

Why would I vote no, im happy with it.

• Like 2

Call me a eunuch, but I think I'm being rational and looking at all the angles for me and my family. What happens if they go back and we get less? What happens if we send it back and we go on strike? How long am I supposed to pay my car note and mortgage on $200/week, let alone gas? I don't know what happens to my, my wife's and my kid's health insurance if we are on strike. (BTW if anyone could help out on that, I would appreciate it)

I mean, realistically, we aren't going to get EVERYTHING back. It just isn't going to happen, right? So far, some of the no vote people on here seem to have specific issues, and some just seem to want more.

I just am curious what is the scenario people think will play out if this gets voted down? King and Settles are going to go into the room and tell Mulally that they want more and he is just going to say, "OK, sure! I was hoping this would happen." Honestly, it doesn't seem like they have that kind of power, or else we would have COLA, wage increases, ILO signing bonuses, etc.

I'm trying not to be a conspiracy theorist, just a realist here.

• Like 2

I was very young when the last strike happened. My Dad worked at Michigan Truck & I remember the worry in my mom's eyes

& her having to srape up some change to buy milk. I'll never forget that feeling & how stressed my Dad was.

Here's hoping it does'nt come to a strike or I fear there is going to alot of kids with similar memories & fears to mine. Alot of

people don't have enough money saved to get them through a stike & although that was a stupid mistake on their part, I'd

hate to see the kids scared & worried.

Edited by MTPwife
  • Like 3

You have "posted in the past"...... yet you just joined the BON forum last week ??????? HMMMMMMMM... I smell something fishy!

Edited by talan423
  • Like 2

I was very young when the last strike happened. My Dad worked at Michigan Truck & I remember the worry in my mom's eyes

& her having to srape up some change to buy milk. I'll never forget that feeling & how stressed my Dad was.

Here's hoping it does'nt come to a strike or I fear there is going to alot of kids with similar memories & fears to mine. Alot of

people don't have enough money saved to get them through a strike & although that was a stupid mistake on their part, I'd

hate to see the kids scared & worried.

Sister, I went through it, too, when my Dad was at Dearborn stamping. My Mom was scared shitless, and my parents were frugal, saved money like crazy, my Mom sewed a lot of our clothes (and did it on the side for other people, for extra money), and when my Dad couldn't get OT, he'd do the handyman-for-hire thing on the side. Plus the huge ass garden behind the garage, canning and freezing vegetables like mad, fixing our own cars (back in the day when you could), etc. And my Mom was still scared shitless from the strike. But was a different time - hardly anyone would dare cross a picket line, pattern bargaining was a positive for everyone, and the then Big Three had at least a combined 85% to 90% market share. Now...the public reaction to strike worries me. Not to mention that a strike would kill whatever chances the UAW has to organize any transplants.
  • Like 4