Gary W. admits to Leadership

Pulse

So Settles publicly threw Gary under the bus for pushing for a better contract and getting our concessions back? Way to support the freedom of speech and democracy!

The funny thing here is that Settles thinks we need Gary's permission to Vote No. That is as big of insult as him calling people who vote no unintelligent.

All Gary did was to present an opposing opinion for the membership to think about and for that he gets crucified by the IUAW.

Whether you are voting Yes or No on this contract, you should be embarrassed by the tactics being used by the IUAW to push this contract through.. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!

• Like 1

Quite the contrary. Anybody who votes no should leave and find a better job. There are thousand waiting to replace all of the no votes. There new hires will work harder and have a better attitude.

There are people in my own family who would run me over for a union job at Ford. Unemployment is officially at 9%, but unofficially in the Detroit area it is over 30%. There are a lot of people looking for work. These jobs are good paying jobs even at Entry Level if you have no job.

• Like 4

So Settles publicly threw Gary under the bus for pushing for a better contract and getting our concessions back? Way to support the freedom of speech and democracy!

The funny thing here is that Settles thinks we need Gary's permission to Vote No. That is as big of insult as him calling people who vote no unintelligent.

All Gary did was to present an opposing opinion for the membership to think about and for that he gets crucified by the IUAW.

Whether you are voting Yes or No on this contract, you should be embarrassed by the tactics being used by the IUAW to push this contract through.. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!

I don't think so. I'm not certain that implying the no voters are unintelligent is a good idea, but after spending a lot of time at the bargaining table, I guess fatigue sets in and his phrased something in a way he could have phrased better (and for the record, he didn't outrightly call anyone unintelligent, he said that he couldn't see any intelligent person rejecting the contract - it's a subtle difference, but with the hot tempers on this board, the subtlety is lost on most no vote advocates, and, like it or not, their flashes of temper, and poorly worded posts, does reflect very badly on their intelligence).

I'm going to say it again here - a no vote, and worse yet a strike, will turn public opinion against those of us in the IUAW, and against Ford and cost us car sales. Anyone who thinks we deserve more, and getting more won't have a bad effect on car sales, is living in the distant past, and fooling themselves. The majority of the new car buying public have, as individuals, taken their own beatings in the work world, and call it envy, call it jealousy, call it none-of-their-business, if we gain, what the public thinks is more than we deserve, based on what my suburban Detroit neighbors are saying, they will take their check books and good credit ratings over to the Toyota, Honda or Hyundai dealership, and we loose these customers for how long?? To what, gain 25 COLA? Give retirees more than what they were vested in? I can believe how ignorantly narrow minded these people are.

• Like 3

There are people in my own family who would run me over for a union job at Ford. Unemployment is officially at 9%, but unofficially in the Detroit area it is over 30%. There are a lot of people looking for work. These jobs are good paying jobs even at Entry Level if you have no job.

Very, very true. Plus like SHO_Driver points out, there are also neighbors of all of us in Detroit, that will gladly take their business else where, if the contract gets rejected, and worse yet, a strike happens. One of my idiot neighbors husband is skilled trades at one of western Detroit suburban plants, and she whined in front of a couple of other neighbors that the proposed contract is unfair without any raises, and she had fumble mouth when one of the other neighbors pointed out that they haven't had a raise since 2000, and that they have to pay $600 a month toward their company provided health insurance and have $50 per office visit copay's. Then, after a few more seconds of fumble mouth, her end of the conversation went back to how unfair it is to her and her family, and her hubby is leaning "no".

The other neighbor said he was leaning toward leasing a new Explorer, but now has second thoughts, and may get a Highlander instead. Ford skilled traded wife neighbor whined that isn't fair.

The myopic attitudes of the no voters, and their families, are fucking unbelievable.

• Like 1

Regardless of your point, you and your hating buddies on here will ALWAYS vote "NO" no matter how rich the contract is. I could careless if someone calls me an idiot, or unintelligent. I'm a grunt, what else should I expect? 26 million? lmfao I too want all my shit back! I want people without jobs to come work for Ford more importantly!!!! By the way, If your so intelligent, you had the same opportunity that Settles had. Work your way up the ranks, and be somebody.

Edited by el norte
  • Like 1

Regardless of your point, you and your hating buddies on here will ALWAYS vote "NO" no matter how rich the contract is. I could careless if someone calls me an idiot, or unintelligent. I'm a grunt, what else should I expect? 26 million? lmfao I too want all my shit back! I want people without jobs to come work for Ford more importantly!!!! By the way, If your so intelligent, you had the same opportunity that Settles had. Work your way up the ranks, and be somebody.

I assure you I have NEVER had the opportunities that Settles has had. Anyone who has been a member of the UAW for more than 10 minutes knows that people do not move up the UAW ladder based on intelligence or drive. Cronyism and nepotism have always been rule of thumb so who are you trying to kid?

I assure you I have NEVER had the opportunities that Settles has had. Anyone who has been a member of the UAW for more than 10 minutes knows that people do not move up the UAW ladder based on intelligence or drive. Cronyism and nepotism have always been rule of thumb so who are you trying to kid?

You still have your opportunity regardless if its a popularity contest! The only thing stopping you, is you!

You still have your opportunity regardless if its a popularity contest! The only thing stopping you, is you!

It's NOT a popularity contest, last time I checked we don't get to vote on our IUAW reps. You might be able to get a position at the plant level on popularity but if you want to get to Settle's level forget it. Unless you are a relative or in the "In crowd" you will never go any further. And don't even THINK about having an opposing view from the IUAW. If you do, you will be publicly lynched and black listed.

It's NOT a popularity contest, last time I checked we don't get to vote on our IUAW reps. You might be able to get a position at the plant level on popularity but if you want to get to Settle's level forget it. Unless you are a relative or in the "In crowd" you will never go any further. And don't even THINK about having an opposing view from the IUAW. If you do, you will be publicly lynched and black listed.

By whom? lol You bore me!

Very, very true. Plus like SHO_Driver points out, there are also neighbors of all of us in Detroit, that will gladly take their business else where, if the contract gets rejected, and worse yet, a strike happens. One of my idiot neighbors husband is skilled trades at one of western Detroit suburban plants, and she whined in front of a couple of other neighbors that the proposed contract is unfair without any raises, and she had fumble mouth when one of the other neighbors pointed out that they haven't had a raise since 2000, and that they have to pay $600 a month toward their company provided health insurance and have $50 per office visit copay's. Then, after a few more seconds of fumble mouth, her end of the conversation went back to how unfair it is to her and her family, and her hubby is leaning "no".

The other neighbor said he was leaning toward leasing a new Explorer, but now has second thoughts, and may get a Highlander instead. Ford skilled traded wife neighbor whined that isn't fair.

The myopic attitudes of the no voters, and their families, are fucking unbelievable.

Nice story Len.

Hey norty! Didn't I reply to you a couple of days ago and called you a "factory grunt" and asked you "what expectation of class could you possibly have" after you told me I had no class? You didn't like it then and called me a "inbred Fucktucky idiot". I see you really secretly liked my reply because it reminded you of who you really are. Hell, you are using my words too, almost verbatim. LMFAO!!

You are wrong about this too and you know it. No one will ever make it to be IUAW unless they are part of the "good ole boy network", unless our leadership is elected by the membership...period.

As far as anyone not buying a Ford because the people who work for them go on strike over pay and benefits. Well, what can I say. Anyone who bases their decision of buying a vehicle on what the workers say about their pay and benefits is fucking ignorant...no they are fucking stupid. Ignorance is defined as not being aware of something, hence the saying "ignorance of the law is no defense at all", but surely they would be aware of how stupid that is.

Hey Norty. I found your movie. The link is below. Tell us which one you played. I knew you were really mexican.

http://youtu.be/RN9-8rwJ5OY

Edited by wildcatswon1

You really believe that Ford is just going to hand over 20k bonuses because we vote NO? Heh? Unfortunately, we no longer have the numbers and power that we once had years ago. We could strike and then what? Ford is going to suddenly give us everything back and just move along? I understand and agree that we deserve ALOT more...we all do. Unfortunately, we are fucked right now because of the losses to our membership, the economy, and public perception.

We all fell asleep at the wheel years ago because when times were good...I didn't hear one peep about solidarity or strikes or how we deserve more of the pie. We sucked on that titty as much as the next person and now...here we are, crying about what we lost...but we're still working for Ford. Don't shit on others for believing that this is a decent agreement considering everything else outside of the "Ford bubble" that is happening to workers all over the country. Your still bitching about the past...because you obviously believed the promises that we would get it back...but really? Let's move foward and unite. I agree with you in that respect, but whining about the past still??

That ship...done sailed.

awesome post brother!!!!!!! i mean really think about it in no way shape or form are we getting all that back and to think so really shows how smart people are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unreal lol

• Like 5

Thank you for giving us your views Mr. International Rep acting like rank and file. Trust me if there was a legal to find out if the ISP of any of the vocal "yes" voters was connected to Solid House NLRB would be busy. Don't think we don't know whats going on?

One) I'm not an International Rep, and I never would be. I just put up with having my dues deducted like everyone else. Two) At least your posts show educated thought, and the ability to string five words together into a coherent sentence. I'm sure you've noticed some of the other posts that both don't, and show how people's tempers are getting the better of them. Hell, I think even a few of mine have shown my temper.

Three) I'm 100% certain the NLRB could care less, based on what they said the last go around on voting on a contract. If I recall correctly, they said that once a union is certified, and the UAW has been certified as our bargaining agent for quite some time, they, the NLRB, no longer have any say on how the union conducts their voting. If anyone could get involved, over any impropriety in either voting or lobbying for votes, it would be the Department of Justice, and I'm pretty certain they've blown off complaints like this in the past.

You really believe that Ford is just going to hand over 20k bonuses because we vote NO? Heh? Unfortunately, we no longer have the numbers and power that we once had years ago. We could strike and then what? Ford is going to suddenly give us everything back and just move along? I understand and agree that we deserve ALOT more...we all do. Unfortunately, we are fucked right now because of the losses to our membership, the economy, and public perception.

We all fell asleep at the wheel years ago because when times were good...I didn't hear one peep about solidarity or strikes or how we deserve more of the pie. We sucked on that titty as much as the next person and now...here we are, crying about what we lost...but we're still working for Ford. Don't shit on others for believing that this is a decent agreement considering everything else outside of the "Ford bubble" that is happening to workers all over the country. Your still bitching about the past...because you obviously believed the promises that we would get it back...but really? Let's move foward and unite. I agree with you in that respect, but whining about the past still??

That ship...done sailed.

awesome post brother!!!!!!! i mean really think about it in no way shape or form are we getting all that back and to think so really shows how smart people are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unreal lol

You are both right.

• Like 2

Your right about the last part. It would be the justice dept. Misappropriation of funds.

I'm pissed, Angry, and hateful right now. I know it too. Sorry, but i feel its not the best they could have done and after they blew smoke up our asses about profit sharing all summer. Our extra in profit sharing went to the VEBA.

Look, the fact is that they fucked us all in the ass, hourly, salaried, contractor, and supplier alike, when we lost market share like crazy ten to twelve years ago. Now either we emulate the transplants or lose more market share. The stupid ass congressional hearings, and all the crap with the GM & Chrysler bailout made sure the whole country gets to think about how we're run, as an industry, when the go out and buy a car. This mentality is hear to stay - it's not going away ever.
  • Like 2

Look, the fact is that they fucked us all in the ass, hourly, salaried, contractor, and supplier alike, when we lost market share like crazy ten to twelve years ago. Now either we emulate the transplants or lose more market share. The stupid ass congressional hearings, and all the crap with the GM & Chrysler bailout made sure the whole country gets to think about how we're run, as an industry, when the go out and buy a car. This mentality is hear to stay - it's not going away ever.

Some of the hourly on this site only care about themselves and I mean themselves and what they can get. They don't care about the person working next to them or you. They would destroy this company if they could get $1 more in their pay.

• Like 1

Brother Walcowitz admitted to Brother Goddard and the rest of the leadership that this is the worst contract they could have brought back to the membership...but still recommends a NO vote. WOW!!! Brother Settles told him to repeat himself so he could compare what was just said to what would be written today...LOL!!!

What they’re saying about the contract doesn’t add up to what we need.

2nd-tier needs more than a small raise.

They’re talking about a raise of a couple dollars an hour for 2nd-tier workers. That would still leave 2nd-tier workers near the poverty level for a family of four. The only way to fix 2-tier is to bring everybody up to the first tier. Equal pay for equal work!

How much would we lose by not getting raises in the new contract?

If first tier workers got a 3% raise each year of the contract like we used to get, we would make an additional $18,000 over the life of the contract. That doesn’t even count working any overtime or possible COLA, which would put the amount at well over $20,000. It would be even more for skilled trades. Getting 3% yearly raises would also mean that we would start the next contract making about $3.50 an hour more than we do right now. If we don’t get raises, we will be making the same thing in 2015 as we are right now, while prices would have gone up for 4 years.

So if they want us to go for bonuses instead of raises they better hope that we can’t add, or else they better come up with at least $25,000 up front.

Who says they can’t afford to give us raises?

While the companies are crying that they can’t afford to give us raises, how much money would it actually cost them? A writer for Automotive News wrote an article saying that if Ford gave their 41,000 workers a 4% raise right now it could cost the company $95.5 Million. And that is LESS money than the $98 Million dollars in stock options that Ford gave Alan Mulally and Bill Ford Jr. this year alone. They can’t afford to give us raises??? Take that B.S. someplace else.

WARNING – Watch for hidden takeaways to our health care.

The auto companies are talking about making autoworkers pay more for our health care coverage. Even Bob King has said he wants to look at “creative ways to cut health care costs”. In other words, watch out for hidden concessions.

Before we go to vote on a contract, we better look closely at any changes to our health care. A lot of the takeaways in health care may be hidden. In the past, many of these changes were not in the “Highlights”. They were only in the actual contract. If you ask, your Local Union has to show you the whole contract before you vote. Demand to see it.

Gary Walkowicz

Bargaining Committeeman, Dearborn Truck Plant, Local 600

(313) 737-3166 gwalk32@att.net

September 12, 2011

When Gary's voice is heard at the voting polls next week, we will all thank him for fine leadership in sticking to his guns and standing up for the membership as a whole. I support Gary and his message. His voice is threatening the top leadership because one day he will be UAW president and they are worried. Worried that the middle class may prevail again in the auto industry.

If our solidarity was strong like it was back in the 80's and 90's we wouldn't be jumping off the boat hog tied trying to catch a fish..

That's right the IUAW and company has us Hog Tied. We no longer have anyone but people like Gary to stand up for us. The IUAW won't do it cause they are just content on getting a yes vote instead of fighting to get back the things we lost.

So what if we have to walk the picket line for 2 weeks!

So what if you only make 200 bucks a week for strike wages!

I SUPPORT GARY W.

And I'll bring the charcoals and lighter fluid, we need someone to bring the pop, someone to bring the bread, someone to bring the hot dogs...

VOTING THIS DOWN WILL GET US MORE $$$$$$ DO THE RIGHT THING VOTE NO

People will finally hear your voice and we will become one again!

Look at the PEOPLE protesting the fat money greedy cats of wall street, if we had 10% of the solidarity those people have we would all be reaping in 20k signing bonuses, COLA, regular raises, fair break times, fair working conditions etc.

Lets stand up Next Week and show them who does the negotiating around here.

ONE UNION - ONE ARMY - MIDDLE CLASS STRONG - THE UAW

Yeah well Brother Settles called us "no votes" unintelligent so he'll be hearing me ask for his resignation when he tours my plant. And i'll repeat it for him too.

Nothing worse than leadership who tries to intimidate and attack his own brothers because they are using their union right of voting. Add that in that Brother Settles left the bargaining table without a signing bonus for all, plants closing and he's not any brother of mine. He can explain ,but we need a lawyer if he doesn't resign

Yeah well Brother Settles called us "no votes" unintelligent so he'll be hearing me ask for his resignation when he tours my plant. And i'll repeat it for him too.

Nothing worse than leadership who tries to intimidate and attack his own brothers because they are using their union right of voting. Add that in that Brother Settles left the bargaining table without a signing bonus for all, plants closing and he's not any brother of mine. He can explain ,but we need a lawyer if he doesn't resign

Retiree say they will help if we go on strike ,like water ,pop,no beer bring your own ,grills and help us make up signs , I can get you good deal from this sign guy he even make them for free if we buy the paper ,he has signmaking equickment for shirts billboards,poster any thing u need ,I bring sleeping bags and i know who will donate them too same with small grills

First of all we will not go on strike, I think people reading my comments must think I am ignorant of the process, I know the process, but it's about time we did have a strike, our IUAW won't get what we want for us, so a strike would really send a message. Simply a word of a strike will worry the company. Being that 99 percent of the membership buy's a Ford, Ford would be hard pressed to refuse some type of better deal knowing that we all buy their vehicles and if they send any further jobs outside the country we will not buy them. Do you think Ford want's to push away the hand that feeds them? hell no.

2nd,

If your neighbors are buying Honda's and Fiats and shit then it's up to you to educate them on buying American, and if my neighbor was a Ford engineer driving around in a Fiat or Honda, I would make sure I tell him/her off about that and wouldn't have nothing to do with them for I do not allow any non American auto maker's car in my driveway or even out in front of my house. I am a strong opponent against people driving foreign cars in this country just like they are with us in their countries.

As for all the IUAW people coming in here and blasting people for their opinion's (and you know who you are) isn't it against the bi-laws of the contract to be doing this? Trying sway the vote in your favor would be grounds for removal of yourself from your office correct?

As for Gary W. his message is loud and clear, and is supported. We want back our give backs. We also want a rightful share of the profits for the last 3 years, we also need to get our grievance before the contract is voted on. I personally want my break time back. Why should the company profit on 250 more vehicles for me giving up 6 minutes of my break then turn around and not give me a fair share of the profits??? wtf..

I'll be Voting NO

Brother Walcowitz admitted to Brother Goddard and the rest of the leadership that this is the contract they could have brought back to the membership...but still recommends a NO vote. WOW!!! Brother Settles told him to repeat himself so he could compare what was just said to what would be written today...LOL!!!

[/quote

The Chicago plant employs about 750 workers, many in their late teens and early 20s, who are stuck in the category of so-called Long-Term Supplemental (LTS) employees. These workers not only receive the lower wage rate, they also have no job security and have less paid time off. They can be hired and fired at will over a span of several years without accruing seniority or a higher wage. When they complain about their pariah status, UAW officials invariably tell them they are lucky to have a job.

“It’s slavery. We don’t have any say in the plant,” a young worker named Frederick said. Another 18-year-old worker said, “For the workers here, it’s like a dictatorship. I voted to strike, but the union has done nothing. They’re just going to keep accepting concessions from the company.”

Nationwide, Ford employs 2,250 temporary workers and another 100 permanent tier-two workers. These numbers will be greatly increased under the new contract, which UAW President Bob King boasts has convinced Ford to relocate jobs from Mexico and China back to the US. By offering up its members as cheap labor, the UAW is ensuring it will collect millions more in dues income annually and boost the value of the Ford shares controlled by the UAW executives.

In 2009, rank-and-file workers overturned the UAW-Ford contract negotiated by King, which would have stripped them of the right to strike and lifted all caps on the percentage of tier-two workers. Responding to the threat that workers would reject the new sellout, King tried to use the threat of mass layoffs to blackmail Ford’s 40,600 workers to support the deal, saying, “In this economic climate, people ought to realize that things are extremely unstable, and to wait would not be smart in terms of our membership.”

“There is lots of opposition to this contract,” one worker told the WSWS. “It’s like a cycle, people are being forced to stand up again. People are tired of this. They’re getting to the breaking point.”

Workers are livid over the fact that they have lost between $7,000 and $30,000 in wages and benefits over the last five years, while Ford is making record profits and paying its CEO Alan Mulally tens of millions of dollars.Kisha, a worker with 11 years, said, “Nothing came back to us in this contract. We haven’t had a raise in years. That means we have to subtract from our budgets at home and downsize.

“Ford benefits from this contract, not us. And Bob King and the UAW are going to get more dues money, that’s for sure. It’s a slap in the face. Ford is paying its chairman $4 million a month. God forbid we should earn a decent standard of living on our $25 an hour wage. It’s shameful.”Danny, a worker with 18 years, referred to the practice in the 1970s when a worker was hired in at 90 percent of full pay and after three months gained job security and full wages. “There is no end date for these temporary workers,” he said. “They are living day to day and don’t know if they will have a job or not. They can never reach full pay of $19 for a tier-two worker.

“In the last round of layoffs in 2008 we went down to one shift here. Now they are talking about adding a third shift. That will be a killer for Ford—it’ll be pure profit—because it is going to be manned by temps and workers who can never see the light at the end of the tunnel.”

Commenting on the situation facing workers in the US and around the world, he said, “We have a two-class system here. In the past, at least they threw you some peanuts and said you were in the ‘middle class.’ Now every worker is being hit. Look how the teachers are getting stuck. They keep talking about how important education is and then they screw the people who are providing it. All the politicians, whether they are Democrats or Republicans, are puppets of the rich.”

One 33-year-old auto worker, who didn’t want to be named, said: “All this talk about our getting our holiday pay back, time off, the UAW has done nothing for us. The foremen here get big bonuses, though. I think we could be contracts away from having this plant closed. The work conditions here aren’t great either. We have had plumbing and sewage failures.”

Mike, a worker with 17 years, said, “Who can live on $17 an hour and provide a good, quality life for a family? Mulally is making $90 million—that’s more than all the CEOs combined at Toyota, Nissan and the other companies. As for the UAW, they just want to add more dues to the millions they are already getting.”

Ford was also given a huge tax break by the city of Chicago to expand production, creating a further loss of revenue for the city, which is already cutting and privatizing services. Announcing the addition of the third shift, Democratic Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Obama’s former chief of staff, said, “This is a victory for Ford, a victory for workers and a victory for Chicago.”

“There is no reason to expand the two-tier wages when the company is making billions,” said Robert, another worker at the plant. “This is happening to the whole country—everybody is taking pay cuts. This is nothing but a sellout by the UAW.”

“I’ve got four kids,” said another tier-two worker. “Making $15 or $16 an hour and with more out-of-pocket medical expenses, how can I afford to take them to the doctor? Before I was laid off in 2008, we were making full pay at $24 an hour. When they hired us back, they dropped us to $15. Now they want to get rid of all the higher paying jobs and take away our benefits.

“They said they had to give Mulally millions to keep the ‘best talent.’ They said the same thing about the bankers who screwed up the whole country.

“People fought in the old days for a decent standard of living. Now the UAW is giving it all away.”

The Socialist Equality Party is calling on workers to form rank-and-file committees, independently of and in opposition of the UAW, to defeat the contract and develop an industrial and political fight to overturn the two-tier wage system and restore all wage and benefit concessions. We urge workers to download and distribute our statement and contact the SEP

As I was saying, nice try "itsmeuaw" in trying to write a 10 page book to deflect my comments about going on strike and too try and to get people to scroll to the bottom so they don't read what I posted, so I'll repeat:

First of all we will not go on strike, I think people reading my comments must think I am ignorant of the process, I know the process, but it's about time we did have a strike, our IUAW won't get what we want for us, so a strike would really send a message. Simply a word of a strike will worry the company. Being that 99 percent of the membership buy's a Ford, Ford would be hard pressed to refuse some type of better deal knowing that we all buy their vehicles and if they send any further jobs outside the country we will not buy them. Do you think Ford want's to push away the hand that feeds them? hell no.

2nd,

If your neighbors are buying Honda's and Fiats and shit then it's up to you to educate them on buying American, and if my neighbor was a Ford engineer driving around in a Fiat or Honda, I would make sure I tell him/her off about that and wouldn't have nothing to do with them for I do not allow any non American auto maker's car in my driveway or even out in front of my house. I am a strong opponent against people driving foreign cars in this country just like they are with us in their countries.

As for all the IUAW people coming in here and blasting people for their opinion's (and you know who you are) isn't it against the bi-laws of the contract to be doing this? Trying sway the vote in your favor would be grounds for removal of yourself from your office correct?

As for Gary W. his message is loud and clear, and is supported. We want back our give backs. We also want a rightful share of the profits for the last 3 years, we also need to get our grievance before the contract is voted on. I personally want my break time back. Why should the company profit on 250 more vehicles for me giving up 6 minutes of my break then turn around and not give me a fair share of the profits??? wtf..

I'll be Voting NO