$40,000 EV Focus!

GaryG

Nothing against you focus owners out there but for $40,000 it should be called a Lincoln. There is no way middle America could afford 40k. It's as if all the auto company want EV to fail all are by far over priced for the average man.

I agree, and the timing of the release makes it even worst. This means the vehicles will not start being sold till after the first of the year and the one time buyers will not see the $7,500 tax credit till 2013. Not many in the middle class can wait that long on $7,500, and you still have the cost of the installation and cost of the charging system. Some of the money Ford will lose on R&D was wasted also.

Does anyone know how many Focus Electric vehicles were ordered to date? I think Ford should have at least open the market to more than a few States.

Oh well, I sold my '05 Escape Hybrid at a good deal and still have my '09 Escape Hybrid to hypermile and still save on gas. My Son has learned how to hypermile his '12 gas Focus and is now at a lifetime 34.8 MPG average, so it certainly wouldn't pay to go Electric any time soon.

So the solution is for Ford and other mfrs to just give away these vehicles and lose millions of dollars in the process just so Joe Blow can afford one?

Would you give away your services for free?

I think it's all about the market, not expecting Ford to give these vehicles away. People who have money can't afford to purchase anything over priced or priced out of the market. There is just no way to justify saving money on gas and maintenance by spending far more money to go that green.

I looked at all the post in the Focus Electric Forum and did not see anyone who placed an order yet. Lots of excitement at first, but no one is buying. When dealerships don't see a market, why spend money to certify techs. I don't feel good about this vehicle ever making it until gas and oil is in short supply. Even the solar panel market has gone south lately.

I think it's all about the market, not expecting Ford to give these vehicles away. People who have money can't afford to purchase anything over priced or priced out of the market. There is just no way to justify saving money on gas and maintenance by spending far more money to go that green.

I looked at all the post in the Focus Electric Forum and did not see anyone who placed an order yet. Lots of excitement at first, but no one is buying. When dealerships don't see a market, why spend money to certify techs. I don't feel good about this vehicle ever making it until gas and oil is in short supply. Even the solar panel market has gone south lately.

The microwave oven my sister bought back in the 80s cost $1000. Now they're $30 at Walmart. See the correlation?

• Like 2